Cadillac Owners Forum banner

improving headlights 2000

757 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  the cadillac man 
#1 ·
Escalade 2000 5.7 v8 base model butt load of miles.
Headlights are very dirty and I cant seam to clean them, i think the dust and crud is on the inside of the lens. So I want to get new clear headlights and I figured this might be a great time to upgrade as well. So what are my options? I could get after market head lights and that would run me around 140 ish for both... But I want like hid lights or led or something maybe a little brighter or more modern i guess. Any way to do that for 200 or so.. I dont know much about whats out there these days.

#2 ·
You can get HID kits for cheap on eBay, In the UK anyway so im assuming US will to.

My only peace of advice is...By all means buy cheap, But don't buy the cheapest. The reason being is the very cheap kits have plastic bulb assembly's that are very flimsy and let's be honest, not very safe. Spend a few pounds/dollars more and get ones that are metal housing, they usually tell you if they do as a selling point. If it doesn't just assume they are plastic and avoid. I only know because I bought the cheapest, they were good but the bulbs go and the plastic gets hot (it shouldn't). Metal ones are fine and my set lasted 3 years before selling the car, and they only cost £25 compared to the cheap plastic ones that were £19.

Shop around and buy the best cheapest ones, the expensive ones are simply the cheap ones with a fancy sticker and box. Just don't be persuaded by price to get the plastic housing bulbs.

So to answer your question, Yes, you can lol.

John

#3 ·
Putting hids into those housings will just create more glare than anything to any oncoming traffic. The answer is simple buy some new housings or use a headlight restoration kit that essentially sands down the lens and polishes out the fine sanding marks. Keep in mind not all housings are created equally when it comes to their light output. When I needed new lenses for a car of mine (monte Carlo) I bought some aftermarket crap and kept my oem housing and swapped just the lens covers.

#4 ·
I tried polishing my lenses.. sanding down then polishing and that whole bit... still just as cloudy so I think the inside of the lenses are bad... so would my best bet be to just buy a new lens and keep my current bulbs? The HID kit looks cool but and I would get a lot more light output but with a dirty lens it would still be the same issue so I need a new lens at least..

#5 ·
h0und10 said:
I tried polishing my lenses.. sanding down then polishing and that whole bit... still just as cloudy so I think the inside of the lenses are bad... so would my best bet be to just buy a new lens and keep my current bulbs? The HID kit looks cool but and I would get a lot more light output but with a dirty lens it would still be the same issue so I need a new lens at least..
Before you do try pouring some water in the housing and slosh it around it worked for me when I had that haze caused by the drl's
Just let them set in the sun for awhile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.