: Adaptive Forward Lighting is not very Adaptive on my new XTS

chrisw24
10-13-12, 12:48 AM
Hello All

Has anyone else had issues with the (AFL) headlights pointing straight in front about 10-15 yards? I can't see anything on the road more than 15 yards in front of me. The only time I notice the headlamps moving is when I start the car.

Just got the car back from the dealer today and I believe their stance on the problem was seeing that the headlamps move in all directions, then there isn't a problem. The software was updated to address 3 other issues I had. Their mindset was that the system was rebooted and updated and that I should test it out tonight. You can see if from the picture that one, I'm speeding, two I can't see anything in the middle of the road. I will be able to see it hit the car which I guess its important to know what you hit.

Has anybody else experienced this issue yet with the XTS? Also, does anyone have a AF-Headlamp indicator light pop up with starting the car. Mine doesn't ?

Thanks
Chris

chrisw24
10-13-12, 12:50 AM
Needless to say, its unsafe to drive at night.

TulsaVic
10-13-12, 09:11 AM
I would imagine the lights are intended to move left to right, not up and down and from the photo, they're aimed straight ahead. How about this being a suspension leveling issue, with the backend being a bit too high??

b4z
10-13-12, 11:57 AM
That's a weird light pattern. When you put the car up to a wall or garage door at night is there a dip in the center or a v in the center? My srx with HIDs had a fuller pattern than that and on low beams lit up the road like crazy.

chrisw24
10-13-12, 01:03 PM
According to AFL manual, it suppose to adjust up and down based on oncoming traffic headlights/taillights in front of the car. I believe the sensor in the mirror may be faulty?

chrisw24
10-15-12, 07:31 PM
Is this normal???? Do others with XTS get better road lighting than in the picture? Based on the lack of response, I think this may be normal?

fmatiyat
04-04-13, 12:43 PM
I live in the Gulf region, and just got my XTS4 Platinum last week.
I have been trying hard to observe any movement of the forward light, but it just does not seem to move in any direction when driving at speeds above 30 mph.
Chris, what is the production date of your car?

10mikeymike
04-04-13, 01:44 PM
I got my first Lexus, an LS430 in 2005 and have had 4 since then. On the first one the movement of the lights was very noticeable. Sometimes, it was a little "jerky" when returning to head on position. If I recall correctly, I believe the movement was something like 15 degrees to the left and a lesser amount, maybe 8 - 10 degrees to the right. I now have an 11 LS460L and while the light beam when turning is very noticeable, it's not as pronounced, (smoother) as with the earlier models. Personally, I don't think the GM/Cadillac version of Adaptive Front Lighting is as good as what Lexus uses. Like fmatiyat has indicated, I haven't detected any movement when going around corners in areas where the movement is easily observed in my Lexus. Another observation I've made is that the Cadillac HID headlights are not as bright as the HID's on my Lexus. For that matter, they're not as bright as the HID's on my 2006 Vette. Strangely, my Vette is lowered and I still get oncoming cars flashing their high beams at me and I never re-aimed my headlights after lowering the car.

kipsts
04-04-13, 07:00 PM
I have not been able to notice the adaptive lighting on SilverFox (Platinum) when cornering. Perhaps it is working perfectly and flawlessly- just don't see it as I have in other cars with adaptive lighting. I also have received several 'hay you got your brights on dummy flashes' on straight roads when I do not have my brights on. Overall brightness seems just fine however. :cool2:

fmatiyat
04-04-13, 07:16 PM
Guys, my CTS-V Coupe's AFL is very much noticeable even at lower speeds!!
I think this issue pertains to the new XTS only.. I doubt that we are not noticing it, and I call upon Cadillac to investigate the matter.
The dealers overhere said that when you turn the car on infront of a wall, as long as you see the lights moving up/down and right/left, the AFL should be working fine, but I would have to say that I am in disagreement with this sweeping logic... What do you think guys?

FormerBenz
04-07-13, 11:02 PM
From what I can tell the lights do move up an down in an effort to stay level, I do not notice them reacting at all to oncoming traffic, but I do see the move left to right on twist backroads. Seems easier to notice the lateral movement on darker roads.... TulsaVic may have a point about the rear suspension being jacked up too high... i had a problem with the rear self leveling suspension--the car was about 1.5" too high, but after they lowered it if there was any improvement in the lighting I did not notice. I will say that when I have the high-beams on (manually of course, no intellibeam :crybaby: ) the road is lit up like a football stadium!

FormerBenz
04-14-13, 12:33 AM
UPDATE: I noticed tonight that my lights are not moving left to right as much as they used to. I'm wondering if the big CUE update also updated some of the other software on the car. I have a windy driveway and used to see them move left to right all the time. Tonight: Seemed like NO movement at all. Very odd. Has anyone else noticed a change post-software update?

kipsts
04-19-13, 01:33 PM
UPDATE: I noticed tonight that my lights are not moving left to right as much as they used to. I'm wondering if the big CUE update also updated some of the other software on the car. I have a windy driveway and used to see them move left to right all the time. Tonight: Seemed like NO movement at all. Very odd. Has anyone else noticed a change post-software update? It seems that SilverFox's lights (Platinum) do follow the road and light appropriate areas as I take curves. This observation was made last night post all of the CUE updates. :cool2:

kimbo1
04-19-13, 03:38 PM
When driving in fog this past winter (it is Spring, right???), it's been easy to see the AFLs shift the beam horizontally. However, I have not noticed any up/down movement. The high beams only appear to move a shutter that allows more light to be projected down the road. Aside from that HB is no brighter than LB. My 2008 BMW 535i had "brighter brights".

BTW, I'd like to see a high beam indicator in the head up display. I'm sure on-coming drivers would appreciate it, too!

----------

When driving in fog this past winter (it is Spring, right???), it's been easy to see the AFLs shift the beam horizontally. However, I have not noticed any up/down movement. The high beams only appear to move a shutter that allows more light to be projected down the road. Aside from that HB is no brighter than LB. My 2008 BMW 535i had "brighter brights".

BTW, I'd like to see a high beam indicator in the head up display. I'm sure on-coming drivers would appreciate it, too!

RicktheRealtor
04-20-13, 05:03 PM

----------

BTW, I'd like to see a high beam indicator in the head up display. I'm sure on-coming drivers would appreciate it, too! The hi beam indicator in the HUD is a great idea.

Musicman45
06-10-14, 07:39 PM
[/COLOR]Very useful thread! The XTS VSport Premium demo we took home last week had no lateral OR vertical movement in spite of having AFL, and the auto dimming worked only if I had not manually dimmed the lights since starting the car. I asked the salesman if this was a problem; he was silent. This could be a deal-breaker, as I'm older and drive a lot in undulating hilly areas at night. This is a low-beam problem with lots of cars; We had to return an STS several years ago because of the headlights. Love the car otherwise, but anyone have fresh comments before we decide whether or not to buy?

Bill

Zl700
06-10-14, 07:57 PM
Bill, I have the '14 XTS-VSport Platinum.
Besides the obvious, that is making sure the Intellibeam is activated I experienced the following.

The road needs to be very dark, for the beam to activate into high beam mode. I've seen it happen only a few times, but I also haven't been out on dark roads that much yet. Any street lights, porch lights near road, distant cars, both oncoming or in front it seems very sensitive to the extra light.
I have noticed I've used my high beams manually much less though than I'm used to due to the auto leveling and the higher intensity forward lighting.

sonny3621
06-10-14, 10:21 PM
Your light pattern looks normal to me. And I can see my AFL working with no problem going around and coming out of corners.

Musicman45
06-11-14, 09:53 AM
Thanks, Zl700. I think I'm wrong on one count but right on another: The owners' manual (downloaded) says the auto headlight dimming is cancelled by manual dimming but restored with two quick high-beam flashes. Still, there was NO side-to-side movement at any speed.

Since you have a what we may buy, how's the ride, the road noise, and the tire wear with the 20" wheels? I drive very long distances and those are pretty important -- I assume the standard wheels are better in all respects.

kennyxts
06-11-14, 10:10 AM
The ride is not as quite or smooth as our dts's were. We won't buy another xts.

Musicman45
06-11-14, 10:14 AM
Thank you!

sonny3621
06-11-14, 10:32 AM
Before you buy an XTS with the 20" wheels drove both that and one with the 19" wheels. There is a definite difference in ride quality due to the 20" lower profile tires. And read the other threads here about the 20" wheels being easily damaged as well. I had my dealer swap out the 20" wheels for the 19" before I purchased my XTS and am glad I did. Also - unless it's been changed for 2014 - there is no Auto Headlight Dimming feature even though my owner's manual (2013) says there is.

RicktheRealtor
06-11-14, 02:48 PM
Before you buy an XTS with the 20" wheels drove both that and one with the 19" wheels. There is a definite difference in ride quality due to the 20" lower profile tires. And read the other threads here about the 20" wheels being easily damaged as well. I had my dealer swap out the 20" wheels for the 19" before I purchased my XTS and am glad I did. Also - unless it's been changed for 2014 - there is no Auto Headlight Dimming feature even though my owner's manual (2013) says there is.

The 2014 do have the auto headlight dimming feature. The 2013 manual was premature. As an aside, the 2015 will have the power folding mirrors as an option.

Zl700
06-11-14, 05:42 PM
Thanks, Zl700. I think I'm wrong on one count but right on another: The owners' manual (downloaded) says the auto headlight dimming is cancelled by manual dimming but restored with two quick high-beam flashes. Still, there was NO side-to-side movement at any speed. Since you have a what we may buy, how's the ride, the road noise, and the tire wear with the 20" wheels? I drive very long distances and those are pretty important -- I assume the standard wheels are better in all respects.

I live in Texas, otherwise I think it would also have an issue with 20" wheels. I'm at 4,500 miles now. I travel a lot so seem to spend more time in rental cars. It's funny after buying my XTS, my last 3 rentals were impalas. It feels similar but as another poster loved it better than a XTS, I don't.

Mine has the Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS
P245/40R20 V

Seems like every car I own I have to suffer through the manufacturer supplied tires, then pick my own later. Be it goodyears, firestone products or whatever, I always migrate back to michelins and improve the ride, noise, handling and wear.

I have no issues with my ride, but I'm a poor judge. My other cars in the family corral are a Escalade, H3 Hummer, and a C6 Grand Sport Vette.

I have yet to take it out on a dark road to test the lighting, I know the Intellibeam works for brights but have yet to see or experience the side lighting.

I can say my wife likes the ride, and knows I do as I accelerate from the group at the traffic lights.

Musicman45
06-13-14, 04:10 PM
In the end, two days ago I bought the XTS Platinum VSport after checking the manual about the lights and re-driving both the VSport and a standard model (thus trying out both kinds of wheels). After the purchase, we immediately had to drive 50 miles at night, including some undulating hills. I'm happy to report that (1) the 20 inch wheels are acceptable to us (ages 67 & 69) in both ride and road noise. (They are noisy, however). I'm sure the tires will not wear well and will be expensive to replace, but the service department said the VSport car would have to be reconfigured (computer reprogrammed) for optimally safe handling if we opted to change the wheels to 19", and they weren't sure how to do it (?).

(2). The low beams are just adequate on normal roads, and inadequate in undulating hills, BUT the fine brights make up for that and we're willing to accommodate. I occasionally have to come home 50-60 miles from a gig but otherwise don't drive long distances at night. (No more driving all night!)

(3). The auto dimming DOES work fine, but one has to read the manual to discover how to use it. It automatically comes on when you start the car, but once you manually flash or dim, you have to turn auto-dim back on by manipulating the lever twice. No problem once you know the procedure.

(4). Adaptive forward lighting movement is there, but subtle. It works only at highway speeds, on curves taken at highway speeds. It's not a city-corner-turning feature.

All in all, I'm extremely satisfied after all of 36 hours. (And I'm not at all intimidated by the CUE system that seems to irk Consumer Reports. If you can work an iPad, this thing is very easy.) I'll let you know after a few long trips and maybe a tire replacement.

Bill

sonny3621
06-13-14, 05:45 PM
I'm not buying that anything would have to be "reconfigured" to swap the 20" wheels for 19" wheels. The overall diameter of the 2 wheels/tires combo is basically the same. It's just a simple swap.

RicktheRealtor
06-13-14, 09:58 PM
I'm not buying that anything would have to be "reconfigured" to swap the 20" wheels for 19" wheels. The overall diameter of the 2 wheels/tires combo is basically the same. It's just a simple swap.
It may affect the speedometer a wee bit, and also the ABS brakes.

BlueAngel#07
06-14-14, 05:25 AM
In the end, two days ago I bought the XTS Platinum VSport after checking the manual about the lights and re-driving both the VSport and a standard model (thus trying out both kinds of wheels). After the purchase, we immediately had to drive 50 miles at night, including some undulating hills. I'm happy to report that (1) the 20 inch wheels are acceptable to us (ages 67 & 69) in both ride and road noise. (They are noisy, however). I'm sure the tires will not wear well and will be expensive to replace, but the service department said the VSport car would have to be reconfigured (computer reprogrammed) for optimally safe handling if we opted to change the wheels to 19", and they weren't sure how to do it (?). (2). The low beams are just adequate on normal roads, and inadequate in undulating hills, BUT the fine brights make up for that and we're willing to accommodate. I occasionally have to come home 50-60 miles from a gig but otherwise don't drive long distances at night. (No more driving all night!) (3). The auto dimming DOES work fine, but one has to read the manual to discover how to use it. It automatically comes on when you start the car, but once you manually flash or dim, you have to turn auto-dim back on by manipulating the lever twice. No problem once you know the procedure. (4). Adaptive forward lighting movement is there, but subtle. It works only at highway speeds, on curves taken at highway speeds. It's not a city-corner-turning feature. All in all, I'm extremely satisfied after all of 36 hours. (And I'm not at all intimidated by the CUE system that seems to irk Consumer Reports. If you can work an iPad, this thing is very easy.) I'll let you know after a few long trips and maybe a tire replacement. Bill

I'm not an XTS owner but have read a few of the XTS posts, i am hoping you bought the rim insurance for your 20" rims. There is an entire post about rims bending very easily. Congrats on your new ride.

xtsbill
06-14-14, 06:55 AM
I have almost 10,000 miles on my V-Sport Platinum since I purchased it on December 4 of last year. Tire wear has been great compared to the Continentals on my old '07 S-600. The Continentals wore out every 15,000 miles or so and cost $2000 to replace. However, the tires on the XTS do make noise in certain concrete surfaces. The ride is equal or better than my old S-Class (which had a superb ride).

Although I broke two 20 inch wheels on the S-600 (cast wheels), I haven't had any issues yet with the 20s on the V-Sport (forged wheels). Twenty inch and larger wheels have a greater tendency to bend and crack. I did buy the wheel insurance.

My car has had a recall for a potentially loose brake booster plug, but no warranty issues. I had this addressed at the 7500 mile service.

I agree that Cue is much simpler than some of the in-line reviews indicate. It could be a little speedier and a few improvements would help (I used to design human-machine interfaces early in my career).

I've been using the premium gasoline with added detergents to protect the direct injection system. As a chemical engineer, I agree with the recommendations to run premium to avoid pinging under acceleration in all turbocharged engines. Also, the direct injection system requires even more care in keeping it clean than fuel injectors although it offers better fuel economy. This recommendation in the owner's manual makes sense to me although others here on the forum don't agree.

I hope you enjoy your new XTS as much as I have. I never believed that a GM car could be this good.

sonny3621
06-15-14, 08:28 PM
It may affect the speedometer a wee bit, and also the ABS brakes.

If the speedometer is affected at all it would be negligible as the overall diameter between the two combos is virtually the same, or close enough to be of no real consequence, and there is no connection between the wheels/tires combo and whether or not the ABS functions properly. The car doesn't know what kind of wheels and tires are on it. It just knows whether the overall diameter is the same or different. The only thing you will notice by going from 20" wheels with low profile tires to 19" wheels with the associated higher sidewall, on the same car, is the ride will be better and you'll damage less rims too, IMO a pretty good tradeoff. Large wheels with low profile tires are the latest look, ok maybe if you have a Corvette and don't care much about ride quality, but we're talking about Cadillacs here and I think ride quality should be paramount.