: 2008 STS Repair manual

Rushnack
10-12-12, 10:01 PM
I just picked up my 1st Caddie... 2008 STS RWD V-6... I spent alot of time looking around and really wanted a BMW, but the reports on the models I looked at didnt feel encouraging.. But the Caddie looks great.. Again I bought 1.. So I cant seem to find a repair manual for this.. Every vehicle i buy the next thing I get is a manuel.. Any Ideas ??

EChas3
10-12-12, 10:08 PM
I think it's cheap on DVD. The Helm books are spendy.

Ever considered Alldata?

Rushnack
10-12-12, 10:20 PM
DVD repair manuals ?? Guess I hadnt got into that.. Helm Book ??? All Data ??? I finally stepped up to a luxury car, befoer its the older stuff that a chilton's or haynes will get you there for the most part.. Any help will work.. Thanks..

EChas3
10-13-12, 03:50 PM
Alldata is a subscription service used by most independant shops. They also offer consumer subscriptions to specific cars. Haynes or Chilton's are basically useless.

Explore the 'sticky' thread at the top of this forum. You'll find a lot of good links and other resources.

dkozloski
10-13-12, 05:12 PM
www.helminc.com (http://www.helminc.com) www.alldatadiy.com (http://www.alldatadiy.com)

buzz
10-13-12, 09:40 PM
I purchased the set of 5 GM books from Helm, and they are excellent. This might seem odd, as I really don't like doing my own repairs; however, having the manuals helps me understand this complex vehicle and may ultimately save me some money. I like saving money.

Some time back, I owned a 1998 Seville SLS. I purchased the Helm set (I still have it) and when I was having a problem with unexpected stalls, I looked this up and determined the cause to be the crankshaft sensor(s). I took the car to a Cadillac dealer I thought to be reputable, and had the repair completed. When I picked up the car, there was a staggering labor charge. When I asked why, I was told it was because they had to pull the engine. My response was, "I thought the repair is accomplished through the wheel well, and you do not have to pull the engine."

I was asked how I knew this, and I said, "I have a set of Cadillac shop manuals for this car, and I looked it up!"

The guy behind the counter had an ashen look on his face and said, "Excuse me, I'll be right back."

The final bill was less than half the original. If I did not know how to do the repair, I might have assumed pulling the engine was necessary, and paid the bill. While driving home, I wondered how many others this dealer screwed. GM pulled the plug on them about 3 months later, and this was long before the GM bankruptcy!

KRSTS
10-14-12, 09:45 AM
I don't think there is any dealer you can completely trust. The service bays are their main profit center along with used cars. I have what I consider an exceptional dealer but you have to be knowledgeable and check, check, check. Recently I took my car in for a oil change, tire rotation and 27 point inspection special. When it was finished the SA told me I needed the throttle body cleaned and the air filter replaced. When I told him I had just done both, he looked very sheepish and admitted they don't really look at those items; the tech just looked at the mileage and saw there was no record of it having been done. Buyer beware and prepared.:lies:

buzz
10-14-12, 02:10 PM
There is no question you cannot trust just any dealer and/or service center. Over the years, I tried to establish a trust and for the most part, I have been successful. Have I been disappointed? The answer is, "Yes"! From 1988, until 2006, I purchased and/or leased 8 different new and one used car from the same dealership. The last in 2006, a new Buick Lucerne with the Northstar V8 turned out to be a complete POS! I traded my 1998 Seville SLS for this car, mainly because I couldn't justify $10m more for a Cadillac DTS! My mistake; however, I tried my best to live with my decision. Unfortunately, although basically giving this one dealer all my personal and business business for the past 18 years, the same salesperson I dealt with since 1990 said, "There is nothing I can do for you, Vern! My hands are tied".

After 3 years with this grossly overrated Buick, I found a very nice, low mileage 2003 Seville STS at a local Cadillac/Chevrolet dealer. I traded the Buick for the Cadillac and drove this car from 2009 until I traded the 2003 last spring for the 2008 STS I have today. My wife suddenly decided she wanted to trade her black 2006 SRX, also purchased from this same Cadillac/Chevrolet dealer. Apparently, she thought it bad for us to have two black Cadillacs!

I am now away from purchasing/leasing new cars. At my present age, it is NOT important for me to drive the latest and greatest! It is important for us to drive nice cars, and that is why why will likely drive Cadillacs until we cannot drive anymore! Maybe I should make sure our will states our last ride will also be in a Cadillac! Hopefully, not for a few years!

;>)

Rushnack
10-16-12, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the replies, i recently had a redicules experience with the dealership involving the FOB.. I have never owned a car with 1 so its the take me to the cleaners show.. I ordered a new FOB and set up a time slot to have it programmed.. When I ordered it it was easy to give them my CC number and spend the money, but it went down hill fast.. The FOB did not come with a Key, you think they would let me know thats important cause the key has to be there to program it, so another 65 bucks.. Then the most experienced guy spent 2 plus hours on a simple re-program.. I asked him to make sure everything works as advertised... After 2 plus hours I finally decided to pull the plug on this operation and get out while I could.. I left them with a bad attitude... Still my FOB's need to now be personalized... I will save that for a rainy day...

EChas3
10-16-12, 11:27 PM
Welcome!

It sounds like your dealer didn't really explain much. Check out the 'sticky' thread at the top of the forum. These are complicated cars.

malsom
10-19-12, 12:34 AM
Sign up with ALLDATA. You will get the same shop manuals online that the dealers use along with all the service bulletins and recall notices. I use them for my '08 STS http://alldatadiy.com/

wake
01-05-13, 12:58 PM
Haynes or Chilton's are basically useless.

I'll second that. The only thing I use those for is a quick reference when my hands are dirty and I don't want to mess up my Helm sets.

Another problem I found with Chiltons and Haynes over the years is that they are inaccurate in a lot of areas. Since they cover a few to many model years they don't capture the year specifics very well, especially important when you're looking at torque specs for bolts.

And look at Helm's site referenced in this thread for your manuals. I see them for $200 direct from Helm, but $280 for new ones on eBay.