: Are there any natural gas conversions for passenger cars that make sense yet?

orconn
10-12-12, 04:59 PM
Just wondering if there are any natural gas conversions available for retrofit that make any sense for our passenger cars?

Submariner409
10-12-12, 05:09 PM
Europe has a lot of gas-powered cars, but not sure whether it's propane or CNG. You can get CNG conversion kits for gasoline engines........

A Google search turned up 2,300,000 hits for "cng conversion passenger car".

MrHolland
10-12-12, 05:40 PM
Link to a discussion in the Escalade section

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-1999/256426-cng-conversion-bi-fuel.html

My brother-in-law did some conversions several years back. From what I remember the conversion was solid. Unfortunately, we still have the same problem now as back then ----- lack of refill stations.

Kev
10-12-12, 05:50 PM
There it is. MrHolland has hit the nail on the head. Where can you fill up? Same issue with propane. A good friend of mine converted his car to propane but he also drove a delivery truck. As an employee of the company, he had access to filling stations around the state at cost + and of course, there are a number of service stations with propane tanks selling retail.

Koooop
10-13-12, 12:25 AM
You put the refill station in your home. You don't have to worry about the lack of refill stations, you just flip a switch and you're running on gasoline if you are on a trip. You'll need a big car with enough room for the large CNG tanks, tahoes are a great choice.

drewsdeville
10-13-12, 12:36 AM
A lot of CNG utility fleet vehicles are available from the manufacturer. There are plenty of Vics, Ford E-series vans, and Chevy Express vans floating around here. There are also a number of gas stations around that fuel them, though they are few enough that you have to know where they are.

Nifty overall - they burn incredibly clean - and since natural gas vaporizes at a much lower temp than gasoline, it also runs great in the winter. They don't even fast-idle in the cold! Just a regular speed idle when started on a cold winter morning. Seems really odd at first when you aren't used to it.

Aron9000
10-13-12, 03:52 AM
Really our politicians and government should push CNG cars as alternative energy. The US is sitting on more than enough gas reserves to at least make a sizeable chunk of our auto fleet run on CNG. Anything that will lessen our dependence on foreign oil, now that we have to fight with China on the international market for crude.

As said earlier, CNG conversions in Europe are very popular on things like older model Range Rovers, vans, etc that drink petrol. Natural gas is so much cheaper over there and kits for cars running carburators are so cheap that the conversion price can pay for itself in a year or two. Plus your car is worth more and sells REAL QUICK if you decide to dump it.

Submariner409
10-13-12, 10:21 AM
Similar to what dd posted - there are a lot of DelMarVa power company and small public transit vehicles around here - semi-rural - running on CNG.

A while back there was a push to get boats to convert their galley stoves from propane to CNG: A propane gas leak is deadly because the gas is heavier than air - it "runs" down to the bilge just waiting for an engine ignition or alternator spark to set it off. CNG is lighter than air so it simply dissipates up and out of the boat.

CadillacLuke24
10-13-12, 05:01 PM
Really our politicians and government should push CNG cars as alternative energy. The US is sitting on more than enough gas reserves to at least make a sizeable chunk of our auto fleet run on CNG. Anything that will lessen our dependence on foreign oil, now that we have to fight with China on the international market for crude.

As said earlier, CNG conversions in Europe are very popular on things like older model Range Rovers, vans, etc that drink petrol. Natural gas is so much cheaper over there and kits for cars running carburators are so cheap that the conversion price can pay for itself in a year or two. Plus your car is worth more and sells REAL QUICK if you decide to dump it.

Chevrolet should make a Volt 2.0-put CNG tanks in instead of the batteries.

orconn
10-13-12, 05:12 PM
You put the refill station in your home. You don't have to worry about the lack of refill stations, you just flip a switch and you're running on gasoline if you are on a trip. You'll need a big car with enough room for the large CNG tanks, tahoes are a great choice.

I would think the weight of carrying both types of fuel would very negatively effct gas mileage.

CadillacLuke24
10-13-12, 07:57 PM
I would think the weight of carrying both types of fuel would very negatively effct gas mileage.

Probably woulnd't be much different than having 3 or 4 tanks of propane in the trunk, and those aren't that bad. Gasoline is a liquid, and any liquid in large quantities (i.e. 20 gallons) is going to be heavy.

EChas3
10-13-12, 08:19 PM
The current US energy policy is 'All of the Above' only to the extent that energy from under the ground is discouraged.

talismandave
10-14-12, 02:17 AM
Perhaps it is our loooong term middle east plan. Discourage any domestic fuel, and try to run them out of oil.:hmm:
Coal=bad
Natural gas=bad
Alaska drilling=bad
Pipelines=bad

Jesda
10-14-12, 05:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65kbsB9I1Ps

CadillacLuke24
10-14-12, 09:45 AM
Perhaps it is our loooong term middle east plan. Discourage any domestic fuel, and try to run them out of oil.:hmm:
Coal=bad
Natural gas=bad
Alaska drilling=bad
Pipelines=bad

That or torch taxpayer dollars on a conflict that we should have avoided.

EChas3
10-14-12, 07:02 PM
This is veering towards the current events forum but I can't resist...

As a senator, BHO said the Iraq Surge wouldn't, couldn't work. After election, he liked that same strategy in Afganistan. OK - but don't give away hard-fought success.

Regardless of all the past decisions, US stategy must be designed to maximize the gains and miniimize future losses in lives and the security of US citizens. Heros gave their lives, limbs and personal futures for their country; by comparison, money is nothing.

talismandave
10-15-12, 12:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65kbsB9I1Ps

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread, I had just seen that a couple weeks ago. I also worked with a guy in 78 who quit to go work at a local shop American Dual Fuel doing conversions to propane for trucks and passenger cars. While CNG would be different in some respects, the concept is well proven and tested. IIRC the trade off for the lower price is a lower MPG but overall still cheaper IF you drive enough to make up conversion cost and have access to fuel.

Hey you guys knock it off. They will follow the posts back and blame me for starting it political!:lol: