: Rough road usage?

taveanator
10-12-12, 12:21 PM
Hi all-

New to the forum and Cadillac in general, but the v-wagon has really grabbed my attention.

One of my main concerns before I look at purchasing one of these beasts would be that, using it as a daily driver in a city where the streets can be atrocious (New Orleans), how does it handle rough roads over the long-haul? Easy to bend rims? Bottom out? Wear-and-tear on the Magnetic Ride Control?

The reports on-line about rattles, etc. tend to give me pause, since driving in my city would only exacerbate anything like that.

It's been years since I've driven anything lower to the ground than an SUV or a truck, so I know I'd have to adjust my driving style.

Thanks in advance, great forum y'all have here - very informative!

-T

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-12-12, 02:18 PM
Welcome to the forum, taveanator! We're happy to see that you're considering a Wagon, but I'm sorry to hear about your vehicle concerns in the meantime. I'm sure forum members will be hopping on soon with their helpful input, and please don't hesitate to email me in the meantime if you would like me to research the build codes and warranty information of any specific vehicle you're thinking about.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

neuronbob
10-12-12, 04:37 PM
You will be just fine. It's a Cadillac. If you drive in rough areas, just keep the suspension in "Tour" mode. It is firm but compliant on the bumps. I assure you, I drive on worse roads than you here in Cleveland, land of potholes. Even so, I have kept my car in the "Sport" suspension mode for 45k miles now. No unusual wear on the suspension so far. Rims are not bent. Car is reasonably reliable. I only just got my first long-term rattle in the last couple of months. In general, my car was well-bolted together. Yes, you will hear about squeaks and rattles on the forums, but a) people with issues are more likely to post and b) most of the people complaining of said rattles indicate that the rattles don't affect the driving experience.

Now go get your Vagon. :)

mother
10-12-12, 08:47 PM
The magnaride on these cars is stupid good... Recently navigated a huge speedbump that had bottomed out a friends *Camry* which crawled over it. I felt like a moron for approaching it at like 1mph, diagonally, when it felt like I was driving over a hose left in the road.

You should still steer around huge potholes but these are forged rims and have a decent amount of sidewall for a performance vehicle.

Crystal Red CTS-V
10-12-12, 10:21 PM
Have the Mag Ride suspension on both the V and the Z06. It's the best - you won't regret it!

taveanator
10-13-12, 01:53 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I think I'm just more nervous about the switch from a heavy duty vehicle to a sports car/wagon.
As a side note, I'm impressed at how tough it is to find manual vagons out there - I'd think there would be a bunch more than there are. That's actually the main reason I came across the vagon - I was looking specifically for a stick shift car. Never considered a Caddy until now.

larry arizona
10-13-12, 04:00 PM
detroit roads have to be far worse than nawlins. the v does very well at running rough pavement

thebigjimsho
10-13-12, 04:27 PM
Bent rims is a possibility. But ride? Awesome.