: Led headlight bulbs

stepchild21
10-12-12, 12:16 AM
Has anyone tried this out yet? I have a TOP SECRET headlight project on the go and was hoping to possibly try the led headlight bulbs IF they out out close to the same lumens as hids do.

FuzzyLogic
10-12-12, 12:18 AM
You're not going to get 3000-5000 lumens out of LEDs in a bulb-sized module.

stepchild21
10-12-12, 12:30 AM
A bunch of people are claiming they can though. And quite a few YouTube videos showing it as well. Are they all spoofs ??

----------

Also the Audi r8 uses led headlights. So I don't want to dismiss this option so quickly

----------

From what I know they're supposed to be in between halogen and hids for brightness.

Ludacrisvp
10-12-12, 12:35 AM
A bunch of people are claiming they can though. And quite a few YouTube videos showing it as well. Are they all spoofs ??
----------
Also the Audi r8 uses led headlights. So I don't want to dismiss this option so quickly
----------
From what I know they're supposed to be in between halogen and hids for brightness.
You will basically want to go here and read ... a lot...

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?13-LED-s

stepchild21
10-12-12, 07:13 PM
So here's what I've came up with. LEDs are not an affordable option yet. To get a set of led headlights to match hids you would be spending approx 1700$. And the cheap ones only produce approx 600 lumens.

So my project is gonna go ahead without my led headlight idea an back with hids. Gonna listen to fuzzy and go with 4100-4300k hids.

carlson_mn
10-12-12, 09:36 PM
yes glad you were saved. The cheap ones that are being marketed all over are a joke (literally for show car use only) compared to the stuff made by Audi and a few others, and obviously the whole headlight design is based around it.

Honda Accord and Harley Davidson has an LED headlight being offered on their top cruisers this year, so I imagine it will slowly leak down to other models over the next few years.

stepchild21
10-12-12, 09:55 PM
I agree. It's too early to be looking into this right now. Even to retrofit in high end LEDs, the cost would be astronomical. But I bet in the next couple years hids will become obsolete if led technology improves, which like all things, it will.