: 2005 1SG JE5 Brake Replacement

stevenriz
10-10-12, 06:09 PM
Sorry to introduce "yet" another brake thread but I searched this forum all ways from Sunday and am not getting any results and I am running out of time. I need to change out the front brakes and rotors. they are very low. I have two sets of rotors and the second set is cut and ready to go. I thought I'd try an after market pad. Ceramic preferably as I've been using OEM and Durastops up until now.

Any suggestions? The only company I spoke with and sounded intelligent of the products is Brakeworld.com. Any other good stories? Do the pads have the clips built onto them? I don't want to miss anything. It's been two years since I've done them last.

I have the toolset here.
- jack
- jack stands (of course)
- lug wrench
- 12mm and 13mm sockets (for the caliper assy)
- T30 star drive

Am I still good there?

Thanks all, again sorry. The search utility here isn't working well.

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-10-12, 06:52 PM
How about compressing the pistons? I've wondered myself if I can replace them the way I'm used to, by removing the cap and compressing each brake piston and not having to bleed them? It's been close to 15 years since I've replaced brakes so that's why I ask.

So anyways if you can do it the way I described you will also need a brake spiral piston compression tool and a large c clamp
C clamp for the front to push the piston back and the the spiral tool for the rear

I'm not for sure if our cars work that way but I'm thinking they do(I haven't had to change my brakes yet)

EChas3
10-10-12, 07:00 PM
A set of C-clamps can be used to compress the calipers.

Ceramic pads may produce less brake dust but most don't stop as well when cold. There are always trade-offs. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Just tell us afterwards!

... Thanks!...

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-10-12, 07:13 PM
Rears are not spiral pistons? E

Ludacrisvp
10-10-12, 07:40 PM
Rears are not spiral pistons? E
Nope, E-Brake is a drum brake inside of the rotor so no spiral pistons.

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-10-12, 09:35 PM
Nope, E-Brake is a drum brake inside of the rotor so no spiral pistons.

ok thanks luda

sapien
10-11-12, 12:03 AM
I recently did all four brakes (JE5), I used Morse brand Ceramic pads from Autozone that I had bought awhile back for when I needed them; I think Morse got bought out by another brand.

WORLD of difference on (lack of) brake dust. with the OEM pads, my wheels would start to get dirty after just a couple hours of driving. I am more than satisfied with the stopping power with ceramics, I use them on my other vehicles too.

the retainer clips on the caliper brackets, as well as the caliper guide pins, should be removed, cleaned and regreased. take care that the rubber boots are properly seated on the caliper guide pins. also, on the front JE5 calipers the upper & lower guide pins are different, so make sure you put them back in the same way.

besides sockets you will need an open-end wrench to hold the nut on the caliper guide pins while you remove & install the caliper bolts. this keeps the rubber boots from twisting.

I used a large C-clamp and a used brake pad to push in the pistons; the smaller tool I have for that didn't have enough oomph for the dual piston on the front calipers. (loosen the cap on the brake fluid reservoir under the hood when you do this to relieve the pressure)

Torque specs:
caliper bolts - 25 lb ft front (JE5) with blue threadlock; 46 lb ft front (JL9); 44 lb ft rear
caliper bracket bolts - 96 lb ft front; 88 lb ft rear
rotor mounting screw - 10 lb ft
bleeder valve - 10 lb ft

stevenriz
10-11-12, 09:11 AM
thanks all for the comments. I haven't checked the rears but I imagine they are ok. I'll get pads regardless just to have them on hand. Any other brands of pads you've used let me know. I may go to Autozone. Just looked at tirerack.com and they have a few pads as well. Decisions decisions!

EChas3
10-11-12, 08:48 PM
Don't neglect the rear. Wear isn't always found where expected.

stevenriz
10-15-12, 11:10 AM
Well, I checked my brakes and found the left rear inside sensor dragging on the rotor but there was plenty of pad left. So I bent it out of the way and will not be doing my brakes any time soon. Thanks for all your help!