: Air compressor goes on at start up, then off after 60 seconds, then on for 5 seconds?

2MCHPWR
10-10-12, 04:29 PM
hi - bought truck 6 months ago.
I see the compressor was Arnott but the shocks were stock.
I load up my trailer and the rear sags big time.
Spray the shocks with water and see bubles so I figure I might as well replace them.
I just bought arnott / bilstein shocks.
The truck still sags when my trailer is hooked up to it (about 5000 lbs open trailer with car on it).
The compressor kicks on at start up and shuts off after about a minute.
Then it comes on again within 5 seconds and only stays on for a few seconds but you can hear that the motor is straining. the pitch changes.
Then it comes on again but only for like 2 seconds. Seems like its really struggling to stay on.
Meanwhile, rear still sags.

Thoughts? Time for new compressor or is something else amiss here?

wesyder
10-10-12, 05:06 PM
I would say the compressor is not building air pressure and timing out

the cadillac man
10-10-12, 05:08 PM
hi - bought truck 6 months ago.
I see the compressor was Arnott but the shocks were stock.
I load up my trailer and the rear sags big time.
Spray the shocks with water and see bubles so I figure I might as well replace them.
I just bought arnott / bilstein shocks.
The truck still sags when my trailer is hooked up to it (about 5000 lbs open trailer with car on it).
Then it comes on again within 5 seconds and only stays on for a few seconds but you can hear that the motor is straining. the pitch changes.
Then it comes on again but only for like 2 seconds. Seems like its really struggling to stay on.

Thoughts? Time for new compressor or is something else amiss here?

Sounds like a hose has a leak.

sprink60
10-11-12, 06:56 AM
My '05 ESV has a similar issue. I replaced shocks with Arnott OEM replacements and they maintain the rear nicely...except with the trailer load. Compressor runs but times out...I am going to replace the compressor as soon as I get around to it. I think my compressor is worn from over work due to previously leaking shocks.

the cadillac man
10-11-12, 12:04 PM
My '05 ESV has a similar issue. I replaced shocks with Arnott OEM replacements and they maintain the rear nicely...except with the trailer load. Compressor runs but times out...I am going to replace the compressor as soon as I get around to it. I think my compressor is worn from over work due to previously leaking shocks.

Before you replace the compressor check the hoses you never know (they can develop a pin hole leak that isn't visible unless you spray the hoses down with soap and water)

'49 Ford Coupe
10-14-12, 01:58 PM
"The truck still sags when my trailer is hooked up to it (about 5000 lbs open trailer with car on it).

Thoughts? Time for new compressor or is something else amiss here?"

Did you say 5,000 pounds?

Son, I'd say you are operating outside the normal range of design criteria for your Escalade. Move that car back on the trailer. There is probably notanything wrong with your system. It's just on the raged edge of destruction by it's owner. hahaha

the cadillac man
10-14-12, 03:28 PM
"The truck still sags when my trailer is hooked up to it (about 5000 lbs open trailer with car on it).

Son, I'd say you are operating outside the normal range of design criteria for your Escalade. Move that car back on the trailer. There is probably notanything wrong with your system. It's just on the raged edge of destruction by it's owner. hahaha

I agree the compressor will only work for so long if it gets near the overheat temp then shut down with that much weight you may want some distribution bars and hitch like you would if you tow a camper(I towed a camper that was a lot heavier and it didn't make my truck squat at all because of the hitch and bars(although I did keep a check on the tranny temp guage)

wesyder
10-14-12, 05:46 PM

Imma go with the air system on this one, have it checked out, the compressor times out when the system does not build pressure. The truck is very well capable of towing 5k, i had a friend with an esv towing a 33 foot baja boat that was easily 7-8k if not more, its not safe or economical but the escalade towed it 250 miles to lake havasu on a few occasions with no issues not even sagging. the max tow rating is about 8k on these vehicles, ive towed 4500lb vehicles in an enclosed trailer just fine

the cadillac man
10-14-12, 06:25 PM
You do have to keep in mind as the compressor ages it will overheat and shut down quicker then normal.