: Coolant leak/headgasket

tracker59
10-10-12, 04:09 PM
My 2005 STS V8 has started leaking coolant in the right front area of the car. Had it inspected today at local Cadillac dealer. Mechanic says the head gasket is leaking on the right head. They quoted 31.2 hrs labor. At this time the leak is very minor, maybe a single drop every 2-3 days. Is there something that can be done other than replacing the head gasket? Is 31 hrs correct for replacing the gasket? The car has 76000miles on it, seems to me that this is a little early for such a expensive repair. Car has been well maintained and has never overheated. Any and all advise would be appreciated.
P.S. He also says the rt motor mount is blown out, is this common?

EChas3
10-10-12, 05:50 PM
Motor mounts do fail. Hard driving and rough roads can contribute to such issues.

Sorry to hear of the leak. Would it hurt to have someone re-torque the head bolts? There's always stop-leak but I'd be hesitant.

I can only remember a couple members report any HG issues; not at all like the older Northstars.

curtc
10-10-12, 05:59 PM
Just had my front left motor mount replaced, $450 later...no more creak upon acceleration :)

Was told it is somewhat common

Sorry to hear about your HG though :(

Greg00coupe
10-10-12, 07:52 PM
Although i have not replaced a head gasket on my STS......... I cannot believe it's that big a job, I've done this repair on other cars. It will take some time but it's take things off and reassmeble. I'd go to the local NAPA asked them to recommend an honest and reasonably priced independent and go there. NAPA knows the good one.

02603sec
11-15-12, 08:30 AM
there is a lot of information cadillac owners forum about headgaskets. the 2005 is one of the best versions of the 4.6 northstar. You can spend hours and hours reading about this condition on this site. Please do so, as there are several vendors that specialize in Northstar Headgasket Repair. Don't take it to a dealer unless its under a dealer warranty, which I doubt it is.

EChas3
11-15-12, 09:53 PM
Opinions vary about the root cause of N* headgasket issues, but it's fair to say that we members of this forum are in agreement that 2005 & up 4.6 Northstars break with the previous pattern. Be it the engine redesign, gasket formulation, Dexcool, block alloy or head bolt thread count or whatever. These N*'s are solid engines; maybe the best Cadllac has built in decades.

It's a real shame V8's are falling out of favor. Many of us still prefer them.