: Graphite or Polished Wheels?

itsaz
10-10-12, 06:14 AM
I'm going to be placing an order for a V-wagon early next week and I'm undecided about which wheels to get. The painted wheels on my last 3 Z06s have all been chipped when replacing tires. Does anybody have any experiences with the graphite wheels. I'm thinking the polished may hold up better to the abuse at Discount Tire. Thanks in advance.

xlr_x
10-10-12, 06:58 AM
the clear coat on the polished sucks
Go with the black wheels and make sure you chose Red or Yellow calipers ( Red is for 2013 optional )

itsaz
10-10-12, 07:04 AM
Thanks. I'd like the red calipers but I understand they're on constraint right now. Maybe Katie could give some insight as to how long it might be until the constraint is removed.

smackdownCTSV
10-10-12, 09:34 AM
Yeah, Katie will know! She's the best!

DRL650
10-10-12, 01:20 PM
graphite wheels..

itsaz
10-10-12, 01:36 PM
graphite wheels..

I'm asking about which one might be more resistant to chipping.

MacBuster
10-10-12, 02:03 PM

smackdownCTSV
10-10-12, 02:05 PM
You ****ed up that wheel pretty good. Also looks like you got a pebble stuck in the pads to cause that on the rotor.

itsaz
10-10-12, 02:33 PM
MacBuster,
Is that from a curb or having the tire changed? I would have somebody's head on a platter if they did that mounting a tire.

MaximumPwr
10-10-12, 03:04 PM
Graphite. And I hope that is curb rash and not from getting a new tire put on. I'm already a little nervous about getting new tires installed anywhere.

MacBuster
10-10-12, 07:31 PM
Sorry, should have provided some context.

That's the motortrend long termer....picture is from their story on taking the car to the Ring.

smackdownCTSV
10-10-12, 09:07 PM
That's obviously curbrash. If you're concerned about getting tires put on, make sure they use the "special" plastic clip.

FLTRI
10-12-12, 04:32 AM
I like polished wheels, always have. I think chrome looks plastic-y, and I just don't like black wheels. I had a small rash on my right front, took it to a wheel repair guy and he polished it out and clear coated it for $125 He did a perfect job, looks like brand new...

JoshV
10-12-12, 05:30 PM
I have the graphite wheels and have never curbed them but they still got a small chip in them. I took it to 2 dealers. The first one told me since I bought the car used the GM rep wouldn't even look at it in their area. I bought the car with 5,500 mile and I didn't see the chip when I looked it over at the dealership. That was one of their selling points that the car didn't have a mark on it and we did give it a good inspection. When I took it to the dealership where I purchased it they said something had impacted it and it probably wouldn't be covered under warranty. There are companies that will refinish a wheel on site but they said that color was very hard to match.

To answer your question the graphite wheels look great but they can chip if you aren't careful.

larry arizona
10-12-12, 08:41 PM
look into black chrome PVD to any factory rim. Looks black yet still got some chrome shine. PVD is easy to fix ($200) if you rash it, very durable and looks awesome and rare too so its unique

baabootoo
10-12-12, 10:12 PM
Why not the polished ones and coat them yourself with PlastiDip? Then, if you don't like them, or want to switch back, just pull it off and you're set. Since I'm painting my calipers blue, I want to go back to the polished (they're black now) so my V looks like the new M5 in blue.

sca13
12-02-12, 07:24 PM
Or you could do what I did if you drive year round, I run the polished in the summer and the graphite in the winter with winter tires. Pricey, but the best of both worlds. When one set is off the car I clay them and wax before I put them back on six months later.

2012 CTS-V
12-02-12, 08:43 PM
Why not the polished ones and coat them yourself with PlastiDip? Then, if you don't like them, or want to switch back, just pull it off and you're set. Since I'm painting my calipers blue, I want to go back to the polished (they're black now) so my V looks like the new M5 in blue.

My calipers are blue and I have polished wheels. Im thinking about powdercoating my wheels black in the summer. Why do you think that the black wheels wont look good with blue calipers?