: Applying for Jobs suck.

Cadillac Kid03
10-10-12, 01:29 AM
I'm looking for two jobs and just going thru the same thing over and over gets boring and old. Why do they have to ask "What would you do if a coworker is stealing?" But yea.... Just wanted to get that of my chest. I'm looking for a full time to replace Wal-Mart and a Part time.

Thanks
-Wes

curtc
10-10-12, 01:34 AM
There's 3 possible answers to that question...

1) Ignore it and let them get away with it
2) Report them and let someone else deal with it
3) Confront the person about it

Oviously #1 is not a good answer, #2 is OK (at least IMO), but #3 tells them that you have people skills and are not afraid to take action when needed.

Jedi mind tricks man...

Cadillac Kid03
10-10-12, 02:03 AM
There's 3 possible answers to that question...

1) Ignore it and let them get away with it
2) Report them and let someone else deal with it
3) Confront the person about it

Oviously #1 is not a good answer, #2 is OK (at least IMO), but #3 tells them that you have people skills and are not afraid to take action when needed.

Jedi mind tricks man...Yea i understand what they want to see and i put it in but really? You have to ask that....

The-Dullahan
10-10-12, 03:31 AM
I had an interview with questions like that a long time ago. Never took the job, as I was offered something better (Left that one too and have continued to do so for better jobs as time goes by) The thing to remember is that there is always a better opportunity, you just have to hold out for it. Starting small is not a bad thing. It builds character. Really, it does.

On a sidenote, I also recall the question "What is the total value of items/goods/services you have stolen from your job over the last two years?" which had a multiple choice column for varying numbers.

Wally-Mart can't be that bad. I mean...It's not like you're working at Walt Disney World or anything.

Seriously though, as awful as it may have seemed, that was a fun job for all the wrong reasons. Made lots of friends from all over the world, still associate with them. Got into all kinds of nonsense. Learned I had a knack for loansharking and have what is most likely the greatest story anyone could ever have about a '67 Olds 442.

truckinman
10-10-12, 03:43 AM
I applied on an online site once that reaches out to trucking companies ALL over the country. The very next day I had 40 companies call me offering me a job. Lol. That's one good thing about being a truck driver.

STS_Seville_Hunter
10-10-12, 04:48 AM
Applying for jobs sucks period.

Cadillac Kid03
10-10-12, 06:30 AM
I had an interview with questions like that a long time ago. Never took the job, as I was offered something better (Left that one too and have continued to do so for better jobs as time goes by) The thing to remember is that there is always a better opportunity, you just have to hold out for it. Starting small is not a bad thing. It builds character. Really, it does.

On a sidenote, I also recall the question "What is the total value of items/goods/services you have stolen from your job over the last two years?" which had a multiple choice column for varying numbers.

Wally-Mart can't be that bad. I mean...It's not like you're working at Walt Disney World or anything.

Seriously though, as awful as it may have seemed, that was a fun job for all the wrong reasons. Made lots of friends from all over the world, still associate with them. Got into all kinds of nonsense. Learned I had a knack for loansharking and have what is most likely the greatest story anyone could ever have about a '67 Olds 442.Well there's a few things that i'm not to happy about with the job. Working in the backroom unloading trucks in no AC the truck is over 100 degrees in the summer. We are not allowed to have water out in the open if a manager is there if we do we well get a talk.... I'm not getting along with my coworkers to well. This part may offend people but i'm not trying to. I'm the only white person back there so i get a lot of slack being called cracker and a few other white cracks. I'v almost gotten into a few fights with them that almost landed into a fistfight on the job. And agreed to fight after work and i waited they never showed. I'm pretty much fed up with Wal-mart i'm sticking with it untill i find a new job. My Boss who is also Black joins in on the "Fun" and i'm not going to get into a fight with him because i know for a fact i will get my *ss beat. That sums it up also when my Grandmother coated i took of for a few days so i can see her well when i came back i was not working fast enough and my Boss said "Well you had all that time off and your slowing down? You should be ready for some work from all that time off" Yea sleep was really on my mind for those few days off.

Thanks
-Wes

truckinman
10-10-12, 06:42 AM
I can't believe they dont let you have water on the floor when it's hot out. Every place I've ever worked like that encouraged you to have water to stay hydrated. And my very first job ever was unloading trucks just like you. But I did it for Meijers. Which is like walmart but only spans a few states. Don't think they have em there in NJ.

I've never heard all that much good from working at walmart. Good luck in what ever you do.

I do agree with the who ever said that it builds character starting at places like this. Very true

Cadillac Kid03
10-10-12, 06:50 AM
I can't believe they dont let you have water on the floor when it's hot out. Every place I've ever worked like that encouraged you to have water to stay hydrated. And my very first job ever was unloading trucks just like you. But I did it for Meijers. Which is like walmart but only spans a few states. Don't think they have em there in NJ.

I've never heard all that much good from working at walmart. Good luck in what ever you do.

I do agree with the who ever said that it builds character starting at places like this. Very trueYes it does build character! But they do have a water dispencer at where the door is to unload the trucks! So its there but you can't get to it because the line is in the way. And you can't stop working! because the truck may have a big load in it "LOL". Also the dispencer only comes out HOT! not worm not cold HOT. They do not supply anything to drink so i would find my self spending $5.00 on drinks a day.

EcSTSatic
10-10-12, 09:26 AM
I'm looking for two jobs and just going thru the same thing over and over gets boring and old. Why do they have to ask "What would you do if a coworker is stealing?" But yea.... Just wanted to get that of my chest. I'm looking for a full time to replace Wal-Mart and a Part time.

Thanks
-Wes

Interviews haven't changed much. They asked the same question back in the 70's in the Marines for promotion to E5

drewsdeville
10-10-12, 02:02 PM
My current (and hopefully final) job had an application/testing/interview process that took half a year to complete. I applied for it last December and went through the process step by step until I was hired in July. I wished it was as simple as a few simple, generic questions in a single interview...

Kev
10-10-12, 04:16 PM
Final job Drew?

I'm thinkin;

a. You're planning a very early retirement
b. You're terminally ill and have just a short time left to live (hopefully not!)
c. Any day now, you should be receiving that inheritance which will leave you independantly wealthy....

Am I close?

:coffee:

orconn
10-10-12, 05:06 PM
^^ If you are not close, Kev, Drew needs to wake up and smell the roses .... even the Japanese did away with "lifetime" employment over twenty five years ago!

drewsdeville
10-10-12, 06:21 PM
Quite close

Kev
10-10-12, 06:23 PM
a. ?
b. ?
c. ?
or all of the above?

:coffee:

orconn
10-10-12, 06:39 PM
Applying for jobs may suck .... but living off Unemployment Insurance sucks even more!

drewsdeville
10-10-12, 06:49 PM
Well maybe A can't be on option if a retirement like yours spent on the CF lounge is all I have to look forward to! 4.8 posts per day... and those are some prompt responses!

This discussion, particularly the last post, has made me wonder where Thumper has been...:suspense:

cadillac kevin
10-10-12, 07:13 PM
Well maybe A can't be on option if a retirement like yours spent on the CF lounge is all I have to look forward to! 4.8 posts per day... and those are some prompt responses!

This discussion, particularly the last post, has made me wonder where Thumper has been...:suspense:

Playing bingo and taking geritol with all them old farts in florida.

The-Dullahan
10-10-12, 07:41 PM
Actually, at all of my jobs except for the cemetery up north, I was unloading trucks nonstop, all day. Including Disney. At Disney, they had to have the product and pallets all moved 1/4 mile and then up four flights of stairs. I actually loved it.

These jobs are what led me to the job I have now.

I rather enjoy manual labour and have obviously been built for it. Dealing with customers was never something I wanted to do. I would at any of the jobs under the right circumstances.

CadillacLuke24
10-11-12, 01:11 AM
Jobs in general suck. I've been a grunt at Kmart, a grunt at the nursing home, and a grunt for the University of Wyoming. I'm ready for a spot where I run the show. Guess that's why I'm here :lol: