: 2013 Jaguar F-type .... Oh, my!

orconn
10-09-12, 05:47 PM
Is anybody else as disappointed in Jaguar's attempt to recreate a sport scar? I mean it might have sufficed for a modern iteration of an Austin Healy Sprite, but is a far cry from a valid revitalization of Jaguar's last true sports car .... the E-type coupe and roadster! Considering some of the truly excellent designs proffered by independent design houses for future Jaguars, what they are actually going to produce is nothing less than a joke. First of all it looks nothing like a Jaguar (which is what Jaguars are all about) and comes off as a generic compromise of current trends in mediocre car design. Which in Jaguars case falls far short of the mark expected of this much allowed marque. After the most recent model designs brought forth by Jaguar, Sir William Lyons must be half way dug to China by now!

I mean really, look at this pathethic excuse for a Jag!

Submariner409
10-09-12, 06:17 PM
They'll build anything in India. It's a wonder it isn't made of carved polished brass.

It ain't like your old 120 and my old 140 - Lucas be damned !

cadillac kevin
10-09-12, 06:19 PM
I think a z8 and a GTR had a love child. It also appears to have a maserati inspired grille.

Kad4Life
10-09-12, 06:34 PM
I'm 65 and I can't remember when Jag made a decent automobile .
Mechanical Nightmares all .

orconn
10-09-12, 06:38 PM
It looks to me more like a Pontiac Solstice got lost in the woods with a rear ended Miata and decided to keep the product! The press's raves are really reflecting their rags need for ad revenue. Granted the new Mercedes SLK is a sorry piece of work too, but did it have to lower the automotive aesthetic standards this much. Well, perhaps there are enough children of Chinese plutocrats who will buy anything with a recognizable label on it to buy these things in sufficient numbers to make some money for Tata. At a starting price of $79,000 it will be interesting to see how many suckers will come forward in the U.S. and Europe!

----------

Did you ever own one bought new and well maintained by real Jaguar techs? If your judgement is formed from your observations of clapped out third hand used cars I can undestand your sentiment.

Submariner409
10-09-12, 06:41 PM

Just exactly what is the relationship between "Mechanical Nightmares" and "decent automobile"? (or do we leave out Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, the Japanese Z-cars, AustinHealey, MG, Mercedes (all), blah, blah ?)

Oh, OK - I forgot - a fat Lexota - You get in, start it, drive it, stop it, get out, push the lock button. Lotsa fun.

I owned a Jag XK-140-MC. Finicky. fast. fun. (1956)(along with a MG-TD, MG-A, Austin Healey 100-4)

EChas3
10-09-12, 10:24 PM

The straight-6 E-Type was a great car. The V-12 was more complicated than necessary.

Jesda
10-09-12, 10:50 PM
I'd rather be stranded in an XK than moving in a Corolla.

orconn
10-09-12, 11:05 PM
^^^ Depends on where!

Submariner409
10-09-12, 11:13 PM
Too bad there are so few that remember SU carburetters (sic) and Lucas electrics ............. as well as setting Jaguar I-6 OHC cam follower lash - or changing the oil in knee-action shock absorbers.

Hah !!! - or the ability to grease the front wheel bearings with a grease gun ! (and the problems thereby...........)

talismandave
10-10-12, 01:10 AM
Is that a new Datsun 280 convertible? If it is it looks nice.
Jaguar...it's a shame.

As to British cars of old. Only had one. 74 Triumph Spitfire. I didn't buy it to be economical daily transportation. I bought it to be a fun occasional plaything. It was such a fun car to drive I ended up using it as a daily driver for five years.
Quirky? :hmm:Sometimes.
Frustrating? :duh:Occasionally.
However, It was always fun, and never boring!:err:

It always ran. Never stranded me. Gave me 30 MPG, and was simple to work on myself.
The wipers and heater fan and blinkers would sometimes get confused,:lol: but it always ran.

For anyone out there who never owned one and heard us who have, complain about them, it can be confusing. It is a love/hate relationship. for every moment of grief, it gave weeks of joy.
The best comparison I can think of is that one psycho girlfriend you had.
Beautiful,
complex,
great in the sack...um sorry,...on the road,
and you never knew from minute to minute what to expect. :noidea:

But when it was good....it was great. :cloud9:And the experience taught you a lot!

Once you are out, you swear to God you would never do that again, But in your heart , you know you would jump at the chance.:rolleyes:

orconn
10-10-12, 03:59 PM
Hey guys at Jaguar .... whoever they are! Your new "F-type" roadster sucks! It's nopt as if really good prototypes of an E-type replacement haven been produced ..... just not by your own iluudstrious design team (that has been trying to pawn off rehashes of gereric "Ho-hum" designs as "Jaguars for the last decade! Management shoud can every last one of you and hire some designers that know what a "Jaguar" contemporary E-type should look like and be. The "not invemnted here syndrome" has go to stop and be replaced by the old Jagusr "modus operendi" of delivering an exciting, different automobile at a price the upper middle class can afford.

This is what a real, modern E-type should look like!

drewsdeville
10-10-12, 09:42 PM
Too bad there are so few that remember...

the ability to grease the front wheel bearings with a grease gun !

I grease the hub on my Sterling wheelbarrow every spring!

cadillac kevin
10-10-12, 09:47 PM

You're supposed to grease those? My wheelbarrow is from the mid 30s (at least) and still works fine.

drewsdeville
10-10-12, 09:50 PM
You're supposed to grease those? My wheelbarrow is from the mid 30s (at least) and still works fine.

Based on that logic - you don't change your oil because you engine doesn't knock? :ill:

cadillac kevin
10-10-12, 10:14 PM
Based on that logic - you don't change your oil because you engine doesn't knock? :ill:

Changing the oil in your engine and greasing the wheelbarrow axle are totally different...especially considering the wheelbarrow is not used as much as an engine (mine is used maybe 2 or 3 times a year), nor will catastrophically fail if not greased.

drewsdeville
10-10-12, 10:25 PM
Changing the oil in your engine and greasing the wheelbarrow axle are totally different...

Maintenance?

Would you prefer it if I compared it to lubing your ball joints, tie rod ends, centerlink, pitman arm, etc?

nor will catastrophically fail if not greased.

Lulz. An engine quits working when you don't maintain it. Your wheelbarrow quits working when you don't maintain it. Both are catastrophic.

That is, if you leave it in the shed all year. Try working a few concrete jobs - ever see the worn hub break/bind on a barrow full to the top with concrete? Quite catastrophic!

cadillac kevin
10-10-12, 10:50 PM
Maintenance?

Would you prefer it if I compared it to lubing your ball joints, tie rod ends, centerlink, pitman arm, etc?

Lulz. An engine quits working when you don't maintain it. Your wheelbarrow quits working when you don't maintain it. Both are catastrophic.

That is, if you leave it in the shed all year. Try working a few concrete jobs - ever see the worn hub break/bind on a barrow full to the top with concrete? Quite catastrophic!

And I need a wheelbarrow for concrete why?

drewsdeville
10-10-12, 10:56 PM
Wrong question! Keep playing!

orconn
10-10-12, 11:00 PM
Wrong thread, perhaps wrong forum. Keep looking!

drewsdeville
10-10-12, 11:05 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/4/oh_snap.jpg

Kad4Life
10-11-12, 11:53 AM
It looks to me more like a Pontiac Solstice got lost in the woods with a rear ended Miata and decided to keep the product! The press's raves are really reflecting their rags need for ad revenue. Granted the new Mercedes SLK is a sorry piece of work too, but did it have to lower the automotive aesthetic standards this much. Well, perhaps there are enough children of Chinese plutocrats who will buy anything with a recognizable label on it to buy these things in sufficient numbers to make some money for Tata. At a starting price of $79,000 it will be interesting to see how many suckers will come forward in the U.S. and Europe!

----------

Did you ever own one bought new and well maintained by real Jaguar techs? If your judgement is formed from your observations of clapped out third hand used cars I can undestand your sentiment.

My Brother did; a twelve .
It spent more time in the shop than on the road .
He dumped it after 18 months .

Submariner409
10-11-12, 07:38 PM
For those that have no idea of the connection between the old grease gun Jaguar drum brake hubs and certain disaster, do some homework and you'll come to realize that, for Americans anyway, the idea was doomed from the start. (The problem lay in our hype and advertising penchant for "If a little is good, more must be better !") orconn, Did the E-type still have an Owner's Manual (NOT shop manual) that had a chapter on removing the cylinder heads for decarbonisation ? - or how to install plugs and points and check timing ?

Dumped a V-12 E-Type after 18 months ??? Half the Northstar owners in here never seem to make it that long ................ and they bitch if a "check oil level" message comes up. Duh !!! What's a dipstick ???? Kad4Life's confession is telling: There's no in between - either you have the time and ability to maintain the car (whatever car) by your own hand or you have the means to pay someone to do your dirty work. You don't go out and buy a temperamental sports car or high-end luxury sedan and then complain when you can't afford to keep it healthy. Look up the price for a dealership oil change on a new Porsche 911 GT3.

Picky, picky, picky. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen - and buy a used Accord or Escape.

orconn
10-11-12, 08:07 PM
I don't think I ever had the "Owner's manual" for my XK 150, I did have the original "Owner's Manual" for the E-type but I don't recall ever reading a section on "De-Coking" the cylinder head on XKE's. However, I do remember hearing about the necessity of this procedure on early 1950's European cars. Was it European gasoline was a different quality than US gas, Sub?

I do remember that Audi pulled the head on my 5000S to check for carbon build up (the car had less that 15,000 miles on it at the time) because the car was very hard starting when it was warm but not "hot" or "cold."

The V-12 E-types and XJ sedans did give some trouble in there introductory years, but became more reliable later on in the XJS cars. Personally I never had a desire to own a V-12 Jaguar. I did have have a cousin who bought a V-12 XK roadster when they first came out. But he was a Hollywood boulevadier type who expected the car to be Chevy and require no maintenance or special care. His Dad bought a Mercedes 450 SL at the same time and both experienced continual problems with their cars.

My own, personal, experience with several 6 cylinder DOHC engined cars was that if you were conscientious about keeping up with their service requirements and treated them with the respect any fine automobile deserves, they gave good, reliable service.

With the exception of my E-type, all my Jaguars were daily drivers, they were maintained by my mechanic according to the book and were traded about every three years. None of them gave any problems to speak of and I obviously had good faith in the brand's quality and reliably as I bought three XJ6 sedans over a ten year period which were in daily use as company cars.

Submariner409
10-12-12, 04:18 PM
Even in 1967 - 1970 (My Navy staff time in Naples) the ESSO (EXXON) gasoline sold all over southern Europe was plain flat horrible trash. Ir ruined my '65 Chevelle 327/350 Malibu SS engine.

Why ESSO ? Because that's the company the Armed Forces Exchange system had the contract with to supply discounted fuel chits to personnel stationed in Southern Europe. The rotten stuff cost us $0.12 a liter - about $0.45/gallon. BP was far, far better but on the open economy, no fuel chits available - in 1968, - it cost $3.50 a gallon !! and you wonder why the Italians drive little 2, 3, and 4 cylinder econoboxes.

orconn
10-12-12, 06:40 PM
Yeah, i remember when I visited the Lamborghini factory in St. Agata Bolognese the parking lot was filled with Fiats and Lancias. I was told that the "big" Lambo and Ferrari V-12s were for fast "GT-eeing" on the Auto Strada only. The Big GT's not only burned too much gas but also were impossible to park in the parking spaces available in the towns and cities. So for everyday use around town everyone had a small engined and sized car. In fact, when we went to lunch that day (1968) we all piled into a Fiat 164 sedan! According top the guys who worked at the plant even Ferruccio Lamborghini and Enzo Ferrari ran around town in Fiat products (this was before Fiat took over Ferrari, Maserati, Lancia, et al.).

While I lived in Japan we didn't have any special "gas chits" that would get us discount gas. If we were going on an extended trip we would take 5 gallon Gerry cans filled with the 11 cent a gallon gas from the post PX with us so we wouldn't have to $3 to $4 dollars a gallon that the Japanese had to pay. If we were going to the ski resorts up in central Hokkaido we would take two or three of the cans along to keep my "big" engined Nissan Cedric 2800 Special (read Nissan Fleetwood) filled with cheap gas for the trip! I don't know it the "on the economy" Japanese gas was any good because I never used it to fill my "mighty" 2.8 litre straight six!

EChas3
10-12-12, 10:34 PM

My TR6 has 7 zerks just to get power to the hubs!

Aron9000
10-13-12, 03:41 AM
Getting back on topic, looks like Jaguar ripped off some styling cues from the Ferrari California, a car that I think is of questionable taste as well.

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/images/12/2008/05/2009-ferrari-california-pumpkin.jpg

Maybe its just me, but both these cars look way too similar to a 370Z roadster, a car I personally DESPISE, both from an engineering and design perspective.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/09/370zroadsterfd_01_opt.jpg