: 94 Corsica: Cowl Induction or 442 style scoops

davesdeville
12-16-04, 02:44 AM
Every once in awhile I mention my friend's 94 Chevy Corsica. Well, let me tell you the story behind it before I ask your opinion on what to do with it. He got it at a slasher sale for $88 with a bit of front end damage from an accident. It's a 94, 3100 V6, has smoked many a ricer (including the 96 Saturn SC1 pictured next to it in the first pic) and the occasional Mustang LX. It's nickname is "Corsica de la muerte" (Corsica of death).

Over the summer, the owner and another friend (who's pictured below) were gonna put a functinal "shaker" style hood scoop on it. It was to be in the middle of the hood. This is what happened when they got lazy and saw an old muffler lying in the junk pile..

http://www.500caddy.us/Random/corsica%20muffler%20scoop.jpg

There was a cone filter in it until someone stole it. And why anyone would pose with that is beyond me. Sure did get some looks though. Since that pic, he replaced that hood, the right front quarter panel, and the bumper with junkyard parts (they're white).

Anyway, I'm storing the hood with 2 holes in it, so we decided to do something else cool to it; hopefully it will be a lot higher quality. Whatever we decide to do, it will be functional. I drew up a couple things in paint of what it could look like (using a pic I found through google, not his car).

http://www.500caddy.us/Random/corsicacowl.png
The first idea, about a 6" cowl induction setup.

http://www.500caddy.us/Random/corsica442.png
The second idea, Olds 442 inspired ram air scoops. If we do this idea, probably only the left one (looking from the drivers seat) would be functional.

Wow this is long. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Ralph
12-16-04, 03:46 AM
The first design looks absolutely ridiculous! (sorry Dave, you should value my honesty) If you insist on doing it keep it as LOW profile as humanly possible.

I say find better things to do with your time and money. :helpless: (hey, you asked)

I can't see it on a 4 door, even ricers know that, usually! :annoyed: I just wouldn't waste the time and would question if it's REALLY worth it. :hmm: My friends criticized me 15 years ago when I wanted to put hood pins on the Phoenix! :histeric: I almost drilled the holes. Thank goodness I didn't ruin that car because we still have it today. Then again it's just a bargain Corsica, so no harm done I suppose.

p.s. TRIVIA: the standard 442's did not have the cold air package, just the W30 (455) and W31's. (350) ;)

illumina
12-16-04, 04:04 AM
i always appreciate what people do to their cars...including corsicas.

here, i have desinged a nice wing for the corsica...

i have made a nice combo of colors to get things up to speed. note the red portion of the wing: it will match the color of the corsica. the orange just adds to the fury. measurements are included.

Ralph
12-16-04, 04:10 AM
:eek: :canttalk:

davesdeville
12-16-04, 05:24 AM
In case you didn't realise it Ralph, the whole point is to be ridiculous. He has a "new" hood for it for when the modified one gets taken off. He also has a 76 Lincoln Continental for when he wants a non-POS car to drive around in :2thumbs:. This may even improve the car, because at least the red will match the rest of the car, the "new" hood is white and has the white paint disease so a quarter of it's primer. Waste of time and money? Hah, my time is valueless, metal and spray paint is cheap, and I'm hopefully gonna learn and practice welding on this very project. And what else are we gonna do over winter break anyway? I should've left the 3rd option off, some of you are no fun. :yawn:

Thanks for the scoop on the w-30 and w-31 packages.

Illumina, thanks for the wing idea, we'll be sure to take that into consideration. Due to the higher complexity of that project (and the fact that the trunk of his car is fine), I doubt we will be able to do the wing.

Jesda
12-16-04, 05:55 AM
I voted leave it alone. But, since the car was only 88 bucks, I say get ridiculous!!! Go with the 442-style scoops.

Stoneage_Caddy
12-16-04, 10:39 AM
go to summit racing and get a pro stock hood scoupe....if your gonna go go all out

Ralph
12-16-04, 03:12 PM
Ok, sorry, I didn't realize. :hmm: Just don't want the pretty girls cruising thinking you were serious. :D

Go for some side Mustang Shelby GT 350/500 scoops then too?

What about painting the car in the American flag? (The whole car?)

Front air dam spoiler?

Definately put the wing on then. :p

davesdeville
12-16-04, 05:48 PM
Ok, sorry, I didn't realize. :hmm: Just don't want the pretty girls cruising thinking you were serious. :D

That's what the Lincoln is for, in current condition it's more sweet than my 75. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow so you can see the non-pos.

Maybe the new induction system will let the Corsica keep up with my other friend's 4.0 Jeep Cherokee, right now they both have flowmasters and the Jeep is faster.

If it weren't so expensive, it would already have one of these:
http://www.razzi.com/vehicles/chevrolet/gfx/medium/corsica_8996_4dr_2002_1.jpg (http://www.razzi.com/vehicles/chevrolet/corsica_8996_4dr_2002.html)

If I count Jesda's vote as being for 442 inspired scoops then it's 3-0, looks like no cowl induction. Well, being that it's my friend's car it's his decision in the end, of course.

Ralph
12-16-04, 05:57 PM
Maybe the new induction system will let the Corsica keep up with my other friend's 4.0 Jeep Cherokee, right now they both have flowmasters and the Jeep is faster.

I always found the induction system interesting on Dad's 442. I asked him once, "well, what about rain, and it gets in there, what happens to the air filter, etc." I remember with the hood popped, there were the 2 holes for air, but they ran to the back of the hood, near the windshield, then went downward to the control flap on the top of the air cleaner assembly. The flap would actually open more, the more you pressed on the gas pedal. There was also some sort of bug screen in steel mesh to help prevent leaves from getting in there, etc. He told me there were drain holes (or a drain tube, can't remember) in the round air cleaner assembly so that the water would run down before getting the paper element wet, and therefore, restrictive.

Tricky, but dooable.

Notice the little vaccum device sitting on the air cleaner, right near the flap that would open based on accelleration needed. I suppose the purpose of this was to allow induction, while also keeping it closed while the engine warms up.

How do you plan on routing the air to the assemble? Just curious.

davesdeville
12-16-04, 09:26 PM
I'm thinking something like this:

http://500caddy.us/Random/airbox.PNG
1. Mesh screen
2. PVC or other pipe
3. Small drainage hole
4. Filter
5. Side-exit of filter box to tube with MAF sensor.

SuperSport
12-16-04, 09:29 PM
I'd have to say a road flare in the filler neck would do the poor thing justice.

davesdeville
12-16-04, 09:33 PM
I'd say a swift kick in the ass of any haters will do them justice.

Ralph
12-16-04, 09:35 PM
I'm thinking something like this:

http://500caddy.us/Random/airbox.PNG
1. Mesh screen
2. PVC or other pipe
3. Small drainage hole
4. Filter
5. Side-exit of filter box to tube with MAF sensor.

Interesting. The air filter would stay dry like that. I know that K&N filters advertize that moisture doesn't effect their performance, but you/he probably doesn't want to spend too much on this car.

If you cannot get a filter to mount and fit in there, I've heard there's some kind of foam you can get somewhere and it might be acceptable? Shove it in LOL. Go with the largest diameter pcv you can.

You could also do an induction from under the front bumper, but it's hidden. I've seen kits for 5.0 Mustangs that are cool in that you mount the scoop below the bumper and route with furnace conduit to the air cleaner, etc. Probably anybody could do that.

davesdeville
12-16-04, 10:02 PM
Unless we can use the stock filter box somehow, we'll probably make the filter box at the same time we make the scoops, so making the filter fit shouldn't be a problem. Maybe we'll use a sponge filter. We're going to measure the MAF tube and add half an inch or an inch to the diameter of that for the PVC.

Why would we do CAI from under the front bumper? Where's the fun in that :p. Actually RSM makes a crappy intake for the beretta which would work on the Corsica, but it's $180. Someone else makes one that draws air from behind the wheel, but that's even more expensive.

illumina
12-16-04, 10:13 PM
dude, just put a zex dry nitrous kit on her. they're only $200 and you'll get a 75 hp shot for a V6.

do the wing,

i would put the cowl induction scoop on her then,

do a ground kit,

and do an army commando-camoflage paint job on her, with some clear coat.

it may seem a bit much, but i'll guarantee there won't be another like it...maybe axe the wing after all.

davesdeville
12-17-04, 02:38 AM
dude, just put a zex dry nitrous kit on her. they're only $200 and you'll get a 75 hp shot for a V6.

Now there's an idea I really like. 230hp at 2800#, maybe mid-high 14s. Perhaps 75 is a bit much for a stock 3100, but I might do some research on it. Then again, he might spend his money on the 460 in the Lincoln. Maybe a body kit wouldn't be too hard... then again it would just add weight.

Playdrv4me
12-17-04, 03:23 AM
i always appreciate what people do to their cars...including corsicas.

here, i have desinged a nice wing for the corsica...

i have made a nice combo of colors to get things up to speed. note the red portion of the wing: it will match the color of the corsica. the orange just adds to the fury. measurements are included.

LMFAO!!! I just about spit out my coke when I saw this! :histeric: