: 09 base rides like crap.

KA41
10-09-12, 04:52 PM
I bought my wife a 09 base several months back and I don't ride in it that much. However when I do I notice that the ride in my 09 Sierra Denali is much smoother. The escalade tends to bounce more. Is it because of the length of it or could it possibly be the shocks? It has approx. 95k miles on it. Any suggestions on how to get a smoother ride? It has the factory 22's on it.
Thanks

K9Caddy
10-09-12, 04:56 PM
Probably needs new shocks and or springs. Check to see if there is any fluid leaking around them, with that many miles, i'd say they are shot and need to be replaced.

anhandrew
10-09-12, 05:23 PM
i would say the same. look into arnott's.

K9Caddy
10-09-12, 05:30 PM
My 2009, rides like a dream with the stock 22's w/ magnetic ride. However, I only have 19k miles on mine.

KA41
10-09-12, 10:03 PM
I just looked up Arnotts and there is a complete system, front system and rear system. Close to $400 for the rear system. I have magnetic ride also, is that a concern. Do yall think the whole system needs replacing or just the rear? Are there other options besides Arnotts?

Edit: Just went to look and it looks like the passenger front shock is leaking and possibly the rear drivers side. Is there any way to tell if this is the stock shocks that came on it?

evois
10-10-12, 01:28 AM
its an 09, replace it with oem as it has MRC

KA41
10-10-12, 07:22 AM
So if it has MRC the Arnott system will not work and I have to buy the front shocks from the dealer?

KA41
10-10-12, 10:32 AM
Just got a price from the dealer for the front and rear shocks. All 4 with my discount comes to $1480.00. Good goobly goo. For replacements, are you all going through the dealer with oem or are you replacing them with aftermarket. If aftermarket, which ones are you using.

hcvone
10-10-12, 10:40 AM
Shocks only last 25000-50000 miles on cars, less on trucks, as said it's probably time for a replacement set. The pre magnetic ride trucks rode rougher for sure

KA41
10-10-12, 10:48 AM
Would I be ok going with the Arnott system if I have MRC?

M5eater
10-10-12, 10:57 AM
Would I be ok going with the Arnott system if I have MRC?
No.

The Arnott system is an airride shock. The MRC are magnetorheological fluid shocks. They're compeltly different. Even if your MR shocks are not leaking, the fluid thickens over time with use and it can start to act differently. leading to a rough ride.

Even if you somehow were able to fit the Arnott system on the car, you'd have a DIC message indicating MRC system failure because they wouldn't be connected.

You need to look into OEM replacements at this point. Try to figure out who would be the one to give you the largest discount.

KA41
10-10-12, 11:08 AM
Does this apply to the rear as well or just the front. I think I read on this site that the MRC applies to the front only. From the dealer the rear shocks are more expensive than the front ones. I guess what I'm asking is can I get the front shocks from the dealer and the rear from Arnott?

M5eater
10-10-12, 11:55 AM
Does this apply to the rear as well or just the front. I think I read on this site that the MRC applies to the front only. From the dealer the rear shocks are more expensive than the front ones. I guess what I'm asking is can I get the front shocks from the dealer and the rear from Arnott?

I coulnd't answer that , but I would be shocked (lol) if it didn't use MR shocks all around.

hcvone
10-10-12, 12:03 PM
Magnetic shocks are on all 4 wheels, try to get them replaced under warranty, it can/does happen

evois
10-10-12, 01:10 PM
Magnetic shocks are on all 4 wheels, try to get them replaced under warranty, it can/does happen

they will only replace it under warranty if it still has the bumper to bumper warranty which up to 50k miles? even if you have gmpp, which I did, GM identifies the front strut as a shock absorber. gmpp doesn't cover shock absorbers, it covers struts. the rear is definitely a shock absorber, hence gmpp will not cover it. I did try and no, gmpp majorguard did not pay for it.

M5eater
10-10-12, 01:32 PM
they will only replace it under warranty if it still has the bumper to bumper warranty which up to 50k miles? even if you have gmpp, which I did, GM identifies the front strut as a shock absorber. gmpp doesn't cover shock absorbers, it covers struts. the rear is definitely a shock absorber, hence gmpp will not cover it. I did try and no, gmpp majorguard did not pay for it.

wtf.. there's no functional difference between a strut or shock. what a load of crap.

kazza93203
10-10-12, 03:48 PM
wtf.. there's no functional difference between a strut or shock. what a load of crap.

Don't waste your time complaining bout the whole strut/shock difference. Trust me been there done that. No difference. That's their way of saying hey, we know that's parts crap so we are calling it something else do we can say its not covered! Load of crap

KA41
10-10-12, 03:56 PM
So everybody here that has MRC and as had to replace their shocks/struts have went with the OEM's from the dealer?

M5eater
10-10-12, 04:54 PM
So everybody here that has MRC and as had to replace their shocks/struts have went with the OEM's from the dealer?

BWI is the sole provider of MR shocks. You have to go through the dealer, but you don't have to pay full retail. Check with rippy or Luke on here and see what they can offer you.