: Cadillac garage door opener

tedcmiller
10-08-12, 09:47 PM
This thread has more to do with the garage door opener (every Cadillac has one) than with the CTS-V itself. To make a long story short, if your garage door opener on your new CTS-V will not take or the new entry repeatedly wipes out the previous one, try resetting the motor-head memory and start over. This was the suggestion of the person who I talked to at the number given by the owner's manual and was agreed to by the salesman of the my new 2013 CTS-V when I told him about my difficulty. The problem is, I was told by the salesman and the technician I talked with, that the motor-head memory has been exceeded (six units according to the technician and seven according to the book for my motor-head).

I needed at least five entries (two remote units that came with the door opener, two cars, and one outside keypad). Each time I programmed the motor-head for the new car, the outside unit would no longer work. Each time I progammed the outside unit, the new car would no longer work. I had not erased the 2008 DTS from the motor-head and that plus one or two mistakes by the installer might put me over the motor-head limit of units. There is no indication by the motor-head that the previous entry is being erased. The 2009 CTS-V garage door opener was not effected. Needless to say, after resetting the memory of the motor-head and then trying to program only five units, everything worked fine.

Really old units fixed-code units might work on a different frequency than the newer rolling-code units. That was the problem that I had when when trying to program my wife's 2004 DTS. A receiver that worked on the proper frequency was supplied to me for free (they now charge for the correct frequency receiver) when that problem occurred. Since I have replaced the fixed-code motor-head with a rolling-code motor-head, I no longer need the replacement receiver.

garfin
10-08-12, 11:26 PM
This thread has more to do with the garage door opener (every Cadillac has one) than with the CTS-V itself. To make a long story short, if your garage door opener on your new CTS-V will not take or the new entry repeatedly wipes out the previous one, try resetting the motor-head memory and start over. This was the suggestion of the person who I talked to at the number given by the owner's manual and was agreed to by the salesman of the my new 2013 CTS-V when I told him about my difficulty. The problem is, I was told by the salesman and the technician I talked with, that the motor-head memory has been exceeded (six units according to the technician and seven according to the book for my motor-head).

I needed at least five entries (two remote units that came with the door opener, two cars, and one outside keypad). Each time I programmed the motor-head for the new car, the outside unit would no longer work. Each time I progammed the outside unit, the new car would no longer work. I had not erased the 2008 DTS from the motor-head and that plus one or two mistakes by the installer might put me over the motor-head limit of units. There is no indication by the motor-head that the previous entry is being erased. The 2009 CTS-V garage door opener was not effected. Needless to say, after resetting the memory of the motor-head and then trying to program only five units, everything worked fine.

Really old units fixed-code units might work on a different frequency than the newer rolling-code units. That was the problem that I had when when trying to program my wife's 2004 DTS. A receiver that worked on the proper frequency was supplied to me for free (they now charge for the correct frequency receiver) when that problem occurred. Since I have replaced the fixed-code motor-head with a rolling-code motor-head, I no longer need the replacement receiver.

Good to know, Ted. Thanks for sharing.

Best regards,

Elie

neuronbob
10-09-12, 12:15 AM
Thanks for sharing, and congrats on your new 2013 CTS-V.

RGaret
10-09-12, 01:21 PM
I had the same problem when I exceeded the number of units on my garage door opener. I had to clear the memory from the opener itself and only program what I needed. Problem solved.

----------

I had the same problem when I exceeded the number of units on my garage door opener. I had to clear the memory from the opener itself and only program what I needed. Problem solved.

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-09-12, 04:04 PM
Tedcmiller, I appreciate your feedback! I'll be sure to document it where various GM departments can see it, and thanks for posting it for the betterment of the community.

Many congrats on your 2013 V!

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service