: mouse like noises in dash

cadman007
10-08-12, 11:29 AM
I am having sqeeking noises coming from the passenger side of my 2006 sts dash. Does not matter if fan is on or not almost sounds like a mouse. Any ideas would be helpfull

Submariner409
10-08-12, 11:47 AM
IF the later cars have an "aspirator" - a cabin temp sensor module - in the dash, there will be a little grille covering a tunnel with a thermistor and muffin fan inside. Those fans occasionally get noisy - it's a computer fan - and you either pull the module and lube the fan or replace the whole thing.

Someone with a service manual for your car will have to chime in - but first use your ears to isolate the noise location.................

ddalder
10-08-12, 12:04 PM
Is it a squeaking or a clicking? Good thought on the aspirator/temp sensor, I've heard this in many other vehicles. In these cars however, the aspirator tube is on the left and extend to the dash just beside the push button start control. As mentioned, listen around the area very closely. This may be tricky because it's very labour intensive to get deep into the HVAC system in these cars. There really are no moving parts in the dash, except items related to the HVAC system.

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-08-12, 03:22 PM
I have the same thing going on with mine...sometimes it's a "clicking" type noise and sometimes it sounds like little birds chirping...I know my actuator is bad, could that be it?

cadman007
10-08-12, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the info will look into that

ddalder
10-08-12, 06:01 PM
I have the same thing going on with mine...sometimes it's a "clicking" type noise and sometimes it sounds like little birds chirping...I know my actuator is bad, could that be it?
I haven't known the actuator to cause a squeaking type noise, but I can't say it isn't related (I've only seen about 6-8 vehicles with a bad actuator and they all clicked). For both cadman007 and DarkMingBlueSTS, is it a rhythmic type sound? Does it happen when the car is not in motion? Importantly, does it happen in all modes (defrost, floor, vents, fresh versus recirc, etc)? Generally, if it's an actuator, it won't occur in all modes.

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-08-12, 07:42 PM
I haven't known the actuator to cause a squeaking type noise, but I can't say it isn't related (I've only seen about 6-8 vehicles with a bad actuator and they all clicked). For both cadman007 and DarkMingBlueSTS, is it a rhythmic type sound? Does it happen when the car is not in motion? Importantly, does it happen in all modes (defrost, floor, vents, fresh versus recirc, etc)? Generally, if it's an actuator, it won't occur in all modes.

I will check all modes...should I try heat and fan too?

Subsailor613
10-08-12, 07:56 PM
Turn the fan manually as LOW as you can, so you can listen for the noise.
Also, See if you can get it to make the noise, if you use the button that selects
outside air, inside air, and auto, if it makes it between outside, and inside selection,
the shaft of the actuator needs lubrication, I had to do this to both of my vehicles.
also known as "farting" noise, but could be slightly different,as to how it makes noise.
Happy Hunting ! :thumbsup::cool2:

ddalder
10-08-12, 08:14 PM
Yes.

cadman007
10-08-12, 08:40 PM
It is a rythmic noise and it happens at all settings heat a/c defrost fresh air it is always the same. Not constant it comes and goes there is not one thing over an other that sets it off

EChas3
10-08-12, 11:06 PM
The 'hose trick' will work on the small scale, too. Try a straw to your ear with the other end placed near that opening in the dash; or each vent in sequence. Narrow-down the source of the noise.

ddalder
10-08-12, 11:08 PM
It is a rythmic noise and it happens at all settings heat a/c defrost fresh air it is always the same. Not constant it comes and goes there is not one thing over an other that sets it off
So just to clarify then, it does or does not occur when the HVAC is off completely? This almost sounds more fan related.

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-08-12, 11:49 PM
I hear my noises with the system on or off

curtc
10-09-12, 01:28 AM
Just throwing this out there...

Nav DVD-ROM reading the disc? I know mine makes noise, hear it as soon as I get in the car before I even turn on the engine...just a thought.

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-09-12, 09:03 AM
No nav for me

Jesda
10-09-12, 09:29 AM
Could it be a mouse?

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-09-12, 01:26 PM
Ok I have no noises when I switch it to defrost mode

----------

ddalder
10-10-12, 12:02 AM
This is certainly suggestive of an HVAC actuator. When I have a chance, I'll try and look in the shop manual to see what's involved in changing it. Based on just having my dash apart, it will not be quick and straight forward.

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-10-12, 12:05 AM
This is certainly suggestive of an HVAC actuator. When I have a chance, I'll try and look in the shop manual to see what's involved in changing it. Based on just having my dash apart, it will not be quick and straight forward.

Ok thank you

EChas3
10-10-12, 03:10 PM
Depending on which activator is failing, it may not take as much effort. My dealer changed one (under warranty) but did it in a couple hours. Between access to diagnostics and experience with your car, dealer service may actually save you money/trouble. Know-how often pays off.

No, I don't work anywhere in the automotive industry. I just realize that in many cases, professionals prove to be a good value. That's one reason to build good relationships.

ddalder
10-10-12, 11:31 PM
The problematic actuator is key to how long it will take. The GM book time on the mode actuator or rear temperature actuator is 3.7 hours (although this isn't very generous for the work involved to remove the instrument panel carrier). The rear mode actuator is 0.7 hours. The intake air valve and right temperature door actuators are 0.8 while the left temperature door actuator is 0.4 hours. 0.3 hours is in addition to any of these as diagnostic time.

Given the noise disappears when you change the mode to defrost, I'm suspicious it is the mode actuator... the most difficult to replace. The shop manual states you need to remove the instrument panel carrier (the dash and aluminum frame underneath). Sometimes there are shortcuts and not all steps are necessary. Looking over my disassembled dash pics, you will at least need to remove the dash panel. You might get away with not removing the aluminum frame underneath. This would be a lot less work.

I absolutely agree with EChas3, in that sometimes the right technician at the right dealership is the best way to go. Unfortunately, one of my local Cadillac dealerships replaced my Head Up Display under warranty. To do this, you must remove the dash (although not the carrier underneath). When I went in later, I discovered missing screws, missing bolts (that support the whole center section of the dash), loose fasteners AND, the dash was cracked in several places with some sections broken out and missing altogether. Yes, this was a Cadillac dealership! Needless to say, my car will never go back there again. When I have an extra $1,100 I'll replace the dash but until then, I installed all the missing parts, tightened everything that should be tight and secured the broken sections.

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-10-12, 11:57 PM
I was just looking at them a few minutes ago and you do some serious work! Thanks for the help dd

----------

Oh yeah one more thing. In the mornings I have to turn the temp to about 85 or I'll freeze with fan on low then around mid day when outside temp rises I have to turn it to 60 with fan on "3" just to be somewhat comfortable. I live in FL so I'm warm blooded and I can handle it but other passengers can't like I can. Are these all symptoms of the failing actuator also?

ddalder
10-13-12, 08:02 PM
There are a few possibilities. A bad temperature sensor, possibly even a bad sunload sensor. Better answers would be provided after a go-round with a Tech2.

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-13-12, 11:30 PM
Ok thanks again dd

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-19-12, 06:55 PM
There are a few possibilities. A bad temperature sensor, possibly even a bad sunload sensor. Better answers would be provided after a go-round with a Tech2.

Ok dd I'm in the process of making the noises quiet again and so far I've succeeded. But here's more on my temp control problem...passenger side control works fine, but the driver side control only changes the temp for the rear vents, the front driver side vents stay at same temp(cool) I can feel the change on the rears when I turn the dial from 60 to 90 and so on...any suggestions?

EChas3
10-19-12, 08:31 PM
My back vents are controlled by the back controls not either of the front controls.

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-19-12, 08:37 PM
My back vents are controlled by the back controls not either of the front controls.

Have no controls back there...2005

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-19-12, 10:26 PM
I found a stuck one for the drivers side when I tap on it while control is changed it moves and temp changes. When control is lowered to anything below 78 actuator gets stuck again and I have to repeat the tapping process. I've lubed it already and still have the sticking problem so any tips? Or is this one beyond repair and needs to be replaced? Any tips on removal and replacement? I'd like to DIY if possible