: I'm a Caddy tech

caddywhizkid
12-15-04, 10:28 PM
Hello everyone. 6 yr caddy tech here. Just found this forum. I have done just about EVERY northstar engine repair at least ten times, if you have any ?'s just ask, if I dont know I'll find out. Need work done? Let me know.

skides1
12-15-04, 10:49 PM
Welcome whiz. We have some of the SMARTEST people around. I bet you have alot to offer :welcome: Maybe you can tell me why my 5.7 eats intake gaskets for lunch. Dexacool seems to resemble acid. Any thoughts? What took you so long to find us?

CADDYBLACK99
12-16-04, 09:49 AM
Welcome Aboard!

Its great that you have joined us. Thanks for the offer to help! We have a couple of Cadillac technicians here (the more the merrier!) Its nice to have someone on the inside ( :shhh: )!
:welcome:
Paul

Daniel Almestica
12-16-04, 10:57 AM
Hello everyone. 6 yr caddy tech here. Just found this forum. I have done just about EVERY northstar engine repair at least ten times, if you have any ?'s just ask, if I dont know I'll find out. Need work done? Let me know.
i have no heat just blows cold air 'have it at 90 but still no heat. where should i start to look. thank!

caddywhizkid
12-16-04, 06:36 PM
Welcome whiz. We have some of the SMARTEST people around. I bet you have alot to offer :welcome: Maybe you can tell me why my 5.7 eats intake gaskets for lunch. Dexacool seems to resemble acid. Any thoughts? What took you so long to find us?
Dexcool is garbage, also gm intake gaskets on 5.7's are garbage. Flush dexcool out and put in green. Also when changing the gaskets make sure to thoughly clean the intake bolts and use blue loctite on reassembly. Gm just updated gaskets and bolts on 3.1l's which eat gaskets for breakfast lunch and dinner, maybe 5.7 is next.

caddywhizkid
12-16-04, 06:39 PM
i have no heat just blows cold air 'have it at 90 but still no heat. where should i start to look. thank!
Make sure coolant level is full, thermostat is opening, if those are good check to make sure the blend door actuator is working

D148L0
12-16-04, 07:17 PM
Welcome to the forums.

skides1
12-16-04, 07:21 PM
Whiz,
So, My Truck broke down today, It has been setting a Crankshaft-Camshaft correlation code plus a multiple misfire since the intake gasket replacement. I have been waiting to fix it and today I was driving up a hill and heard a loud pop and it died. It still turns over but bucks and only runs for 1 second. Simple Crankshaft sensor? Also, do you know anything about a snap ring upgrade for my transfer case to solve my output yoke clunk once and for all? Is this labor intensive? www.sonnax.com/bulletins/tech/T3-EL-399.pdf

caddywhizkid
12-19-04, 10:35 AM
If the intake was just done make sure distributer is plugged in(sounds crazy but it will run unplugged and will set cam/crank corellation code) also make sure its set right. The timing procedure is diff than older 5.7s, if you look on the timing cover you will see a notch in it, that needs to line up with the line on the harmonic balancer. Also make sure its on #1 compression stroke. Now remove dist cap. On the dist base you will see a small 6 and 8 make sure the rotor is pointing to the 8. If it is then I would lean towards the crank sensor. As far as that bulletin goes I have never heard of it before, what exactly is the problem?

skides1
12-19-04, 05:51 PM
iTS CRAZY WHIZ,
I BET THE DAMN DIST IS UNPLUGGED. THE TECH FORGOT TO PLUG IN THE ALTERNATOR SO WHEN I DROVE OUT FROM THE SHOP I HAD NO CHARGING. I PLUGGED IT IN AND ITS HAD THE CRANKSHAFT CODE EVER SINCE. ANYHOW, THIS TIME I WAS DRIVING UP A VERY STEEP HILL AND IT BACKFIRED AND DIED. I COASTED DOWN THE HILL AND PARKED. I TRIED TO RESTART THE MOTOR AND IT BUCKED LIKE CRAZY AND WOULD RUN FOR LIKE .5 SECOND. I HAD IT TOWED TO THE CADDY DEALER BECAUSE I WANTED IT FIXED ONCE AND FOR ALL! THEY SAID IT WAS THE CRANKSHAFT SENSOR-NO BIG DEAL- 60 FOR THE PART AND 1.7 HRS TO INSTALL AND TUNE. I SAID DO IT. THEY CALLED ME BACK AND SAID THE STARTER HOUSEING CONE WAS FRACTURED TOO. MAYBE FROM ME TRYING TO START IT WHITH SUCH KICKBACK-OK-300 FOR THE STARTER AND 1HR- LATE FRIDAY THEY TOLD ME THAT EVEN AFTER THAT THE MOTOR WOULDN'T START- F**k :banghead: THEY SAID IT WAS SEVERLY FLOODED SO THEY CLEANED THE PLUGS???? ANYHOW IVE BEEN WITHOUT MY RIDE FOR THREE DAYS AND GOD KNOWS HOW BAD THEY ARE GONNA RAPE ME!

skides1
12-19-04, 05:53 PM
I'M HOPING THEY JUST NEEDED TO LET THE CYLINDERS DRY OUT OVER THE WEEKEND! I CAN'T AFFORD TOO MUCH TROUBLESHOOTING. :bonkers:

98devillenorthstar
12-20-04, 01:46 AM
hey wusup welcome to the forum...i wanted to ask u a couple questions
the on board OBD-2 is throwing me these codes what do they mean P1571-b1552-b2711-c1233-c1277 are current-b3108 is in history

i know the RF wheels speed sensor is cut traction control light was on before the sensor was cut and i just changed the cv joints a couple months ago.the and the boot is already destroyed im guessing its the motor mount thats shifting it out of place

the other day i was driving i herd a noise and now my car doesnt want to turn left i can force it but it acts like it has no powersteering fluid..it turns right with no problem and the powerstearing fluid is not leaking and is full...thanx and welcome again to the club....I LOVE MY CADILLAC

MSCADDY99
10-12-05, 02:46 PM
Make sure coolant level is full, thermostat is opening, if those are good check to make sure the blend door actuator is working

Hi, I am pretty sure that I need to replace theh blend door actuator. Can you direct me to where I can find instructions on how to replace this? Should I buy a new one or get a used one from the junk yard? My problem switches from summer to winter, ie heat instead of air cond. ( summer) and cold air instead of heat ( Winter). It seems to eventually switch during the season, but wnat it to work correctly.

Thanks

terrible one
10-12-05, 04:31 PM
Welcome to the forums. As you can proabably tell, you are definitly welcome here :rolleyes:

92TexasSTS
10-12-05, 05:43 PM
Ok heres a good one....

no one has been able to figure this one out

Have 92 STS a monster 4.9 balanced and blue printed to a 420 hp 5.0 liter

problem is with the maximum cam grind there is no vacuum at idle so massive fuel dump by the PCM thinking its at full throttle worried about washing my rings out so what to do to correct the fuel managment system to not over fuel the car at idle

Boombotz
10-12-05, 06:45 PM
I hate to tell everyone this but this member hasn't been on the forum since 12/04. It got bumped up to the top by someone, but I figured I would let everyone know so they weren't waiting for a response that never came.

Stoneage_Caddy
10-12-05, 11:34 PM
you know he lasted pretty long compared to the rest of the techs we had here ...."you know who" made them fairly uneasy .....

terrible one
10-13-05, 11:28 PM
Reminds me of Harry Potter lol

85fleetwood4.1ltr
11-03-05, 03:03 AM
Hi Caddywhizkid,
I am a new member of this site, I found it quite by accident, and have enjoyed looking through it. I am no mechanic, I do all my own basic maintenance, but soon find myself getting in over my head.

Hope you can help, it's not quite a NorthStar, it's a little older than that, I have a 1985 Fleetwood Brougham 4.1 ltr RWD. I have had it for many years andam very pleased with my car. I keep it as clean as possible inside and out. It is used only in the summer and fall. Recently I have had problems with it. It feels like a mis-fire, I have put new plugs, wires, rotor cap, Oxygen sensor, MAP sensor and Baro sensor. When driving at constand speed for more than half hour, less if hot weather code 39 T.C.C. engagement problem comes up, lifting foot off gas for a second stops this code. The "mis-fire" feeling is affected by the weather, hot and humid it is much worse, cool as in the fall it is almost non existant. this mis-fire feeling is present when driving "normally" if you work the car by giving it plenty of gas then the car just smoothes right out and is not detectable, I have no overheating problems, neither do I have any leaks of any fluids. I keep the car in excellent shape, making sure it goes for detailing at least every year, also if I can ask, how do I change the bulbs for the warning lights such as the charge light and oil pressure light, these are on a strip above the instrument cluster.
I appreciate any help you may be able to offer, I do not like anything to be wrong with it and take pride in keeping it in an "as new" condition.
Thankyou.

terrible one
11-03-05, 08:47 PM
I hate to tell everyone this but this member hasn't been on the forum since 12/04. It got bumped up to the top by someone, but I figured I would let everyone know so they weren't waiting for a response that never came.

johnpage
11-03-05, 10:08 PM
hi caddy tech what is an airflow system bank #1 /emission failure in ma.thanks john p.

mylac
02-02-06, 07:49 PM
How do I disable traction control on my 95 SLS. There is no button to turn it off?