: Prices dropping for winter?

bobrules
10-07-12, 10:17 PM
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?endYear=2013&zip=08096&listingType=used&engineCode=8+Cylinder&maxPrice=51000&showcaseListingId=327407693&modelCode1=CTS&sortBy=mileageASC&makeCode1=CAD&startYear=2010&showcaseOwnerId=100003694&searchRadius=200&minPrice=35000&listingId=328193502&Log=0

No recaros, but still considering its an '11 and low miles this things gone from 49,9xx to 45,9xx in the past 4-6 weeks since it was originally posted. Not sure if the fact thats its a 6MT is actually hurting the price.

Regardless, I've been stalking V listings online pretty much ever day for the past 6 months and I've noticed alot of 2010/2011s listed for under 48k lately with virtually no miles on them (under 25k), with alot of them under 15k miles. And alot of the same cars staying listed for months at a time.

Seems like the prices have dropped from 51-53k to 47-49k in the past 4-5 months. Is this just the nature of the 2013' model year cycle and/or winter, will prices rebound a bit once the snow season passes in the northeast? Right now its making me very optimistic I'll be able to get a low miles '11 come spring for mid-40s.

baabootoo
10-07-12, 11:17 PM
I think it's just the usual winter and new models are coming out.

MacBuster
10-08-12, 02:41 AM
I wish Wagon prices would start to do the same. They seem to get about a $5000 premium over coupes and sedans!

smackdownCTSV
10-08-12, 12:01 PM
Prices always drop around this time, mainly because the new models come out. Also, it depends on what the dealer gives on trade or get cheap at auction.

allinmyhead
10-08-12, 12:35 PM
When I was shopping I noticed a lot of the low mileage one-model-year old cars were 'factory demos' with little to no bumper-to-bumper warranty left on them because their in-service dates were way back.

bobrules
10-08-12, 01:46 PM
When I was shopping I noticed a lot of the low mileage one-model-year old cars were 'factory demos' with little to no bumper-to-bumper warranty left on them because their in-service dates were way back.

Whats the mean exactly? googling "factory demo" comes up with alot of different possible scenarios. I'm guessing the glut of 2011s that ive seen for sale in the past few months has to do with ultra low mile leases ending.

allinmyhead
10-08-12, 06:36 PM
The sales guy gave me the specific GM term but I can't remember now. Basically it was press fleet / executive lease that they picked up at a 'special GM auction'. I didn't really put a lot of weight into the validity of the special GM auction part. On both the cars they had, both had way early in service dates effectively eating up > 2/3rds the comprehensive warranty. Being my first GM product I got gun-shy.

Looking back, I probably should've saved myself a heap of money since everything these cars need is 'drive train' ... I'm looking at you rear diff. Although rocking recaros might show up later?

dennych
10-08-12, 08:21 PM
still waiting for price to go down down down!!!

Agree about the wagons, probably due to the low volume compared to the sedan or coupes

bobrules
10-08-12, 09:46 PM
Yea Ive seen maybe 2 wagons in 6 months and they always seem to be gone after a week or 2. Actually thought i was going to certainly go sedan but ever since a couple months ago alot of 11' coupes have been getting listed. Now i'm not sure. will probably end up getting whatever is priced best with the lowest miles. couple styling definately grew on me, but i like having 4 doors. hate when people are climbing into the back seat of a coupe and are kicking side panels and seats.

Would like to think in 6 months the 2011 prices will come down a bit more to 45-46k...that might be wishful thinking though.

MacBuster
10-09-12, 12:54 AM
Whats the mean exactly? googling "factory demo" comes up with alot of different possible scenarios. I'm guessing the glut of 2011s that ive seen for sale in the past few months has to do with ultra low mile leases ending.

GM sells cars from the factory/manufacturer straight to the auction. These are often car show cars, or jounalist cars (in the case of some recently listed wagons). Sometimes they have gotten body damage or something at the factory or in transport which prevents them from being sold as "new". There are specific regulations on this type of damage. The factory or the dealer will then fix the damage with cash (no Carfax!), and sell it at a slight discount over new. One particlar Caddy dealership in Arizona is asking almost-new pricing for a car that was damaged. If I didn't have access to ADESA and saw the announcements of the damage, I might never know...

Other "demo" cars are GM executive cars, which get "sold"/PDI'd through a dealership for zone sales managers and such. In either case, the in service date is the time it gets PDI'd for shows or picked up by the manager. Show cars can be used for a couple of years, or sit in storage, often eating up a ton of warranty.

Neither is particularly appealing.