: 06 sts suspension problem

caddooo44
10-07-12, 09:13 PM
I recently bought a 06 sts with the magnetic ride suspension. I noticed that the shocks on my drivers side seem to be banging when i go over sharp bumps. They make a bvanging sound that has me worried. The car rides beautiful on the highway and most of the time but on a bumpy road all it does is bang and the sound comes from the drivers side. Any help anyone can give would be much appreciated.,

dkozloski
10-09-12, 01:54 PM
The banging sound could be almost anything rattling around and the noise getting transmitted somewhere else. Get it up on a lift, grab hold of anything you see and yank it around. Look for shiny spots on pieces that shouldn't be contacting anything.

fnelson10
11-27-12, 10:31 PM
i have the same thing with my newly puchased 2011 STS V6 AWD, someone said check the rear door strikers but they are fine, seems like a shock issue to me, going in next week to have it looked at

curtc
11-28-12, 12:40 AM
Have you checked the lower control arm bushings? This can definitely produce a nice clunk sound and from what I've read here that is a common issue on these cars. Had one go on my 2001 Seville, sounded terrible until I replaced it. Unfortunately the bushing is not sold separately anywhere, have to purchase the entire control arm.

Subsailor613
11-28-12, 07:39 PM
Try switching to "PERFORMANCE" mode, and observe the difference,I notice when I go over speed
'bumps it tends to "Bottom" out a little, in touring mode.
But I don't push it hard when going over speed bumps. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

tommysawd
10-06-14, 02:07 PM
did you ever figure out where the noise was coming from ? I currently have the same exact issue as you

REALTORBENJAMIN
10-09-14, 12:37 AM
I recently bought a 06 sts with the magnetic ride suspension. I noticed that the shocks on my drivers side seem to be banging when i go over sharp bumps. They make a bvanging sound that has me worried. The car rides beautiful on the highway and most of the time but on a bumpy road all it does is bang and the sound comes from the drivers side. Any help anyone can give would be much appreciated.,

Does it bounce over speed bumps in a parking lot, kind of like john candy's car in the movie uncle buck?

Mine are shot in the front and are harsh rough driving but when going over speed bumps it's very bouncy.