: Northstar ?s

caddywhizkid
12-15-04, 09:51 PM
I am new to this forum. 6 year Caddy tech here. Any ?'s just ask. I've done just about every common repair at least 10 times, so any ?'s just ask.

BeelzeBob
12-15-04, 11:33 PM
Glad to have an expert of 6 years on board.

I am no expert but I have been working on the design/development/manufacturing of the Northstar engine since the late 80's when the project first started to define what the engine would be.

Some of the info (particularily about where install the cooling system pellets) you are posting is wrong. Don't know where you got the misinformation but it is wrong none-the-less.

Stick around, you may learn something. After all, 6 years of taking them apart is not an eternity....LOL.

an01sts
12-16-04, 12:52 AM
Welcome: I only have 26 months of being a Caddy tech. I worked @ Sewell Village Cadillac, Lemmon Road, Dallas, TX. Are you familiar with this dealership? In 1987 or 88, it was rated as # 1 GM dealership in the world for customer satisfaction. Plug 'em into a search engine, and you'll be overwhelmed with the amount of hits it produces. (Also, out of the many dealerships that Carl Sewell owns, another make is Lexus, and I acted as a dual tech, Lexus and Cadillac.)

Anyway, they asked me to come to work for them, doing glass, theft recovery, and light chassis. (I wasn't a seasoned chassis man, and I pulled easy chassis jobs if other work was light, something that usually didn't happen.) I worked there for a year, and I quit because I have a major bad additude. And many belived that I burned major bridges when I left. 9 months later, however, they begged me to come back to work. So I returned for 14 months, and said, "Enough of this working on cars crap."

Oh, by the way, and I don't come close to claiming that I'm a Cadillac expert. But I do offer my help or give my best guess when the questions are in my arena.

What's your NQPI average? That is if your dealership has enough techs that score high enough, whereby the shop's NQPI ratings are not a disgrace. (The dealershiop worked at posted our NQPI's in the customer wating area, and the customer could select the tech that they wanted to work on their cars. As a result, if you had a high 80%, you were starved out of the door. About 87 to 89 was the lowest score and about 96 was the highest, with the majority of techs scoring about 91 to 93.)

During my tenure, I had mostly gold months, with a few silvers scattered in, with the silvers lowereing my NQPI "signifigtntly," to a 94.3%. (The shop's average was around 92%, with the dealership explaing that 70% represents average techs, and scores in the mid to high 80's are reflecting perfection, placing this shop into an extreeme elite team of techs, the reason why they put up with my bad additide.) Does your dealership participate in the 110% Club? I was selected as a member in May 92. At that shop, that was a 1-in-850 chance of being selected, pretty stout accomplishment.

Glad to have you aboard.

chevyorange
12-16-04, 11:33 AM
I'm just a driver and shade tree. My success rate fixing things is 100% (sooner or later!).

I wish I had one of you guys here in Seattle - I'd pay you cash to work on my car!

Glad to have you all here, I'm sure I'll have more questions as my 89K 94 STS (that I've had for two months) as it creeps closer to 100k!

Adam

Ranger
12-16-04, 12:52 PM
I need some expert help. Please see my NO HVAC FAN post in the Deville section. The more advice the better. I'm stumped. C'mon guys, help me out.

caddywhizkid
12-16-04, 07:10 PM
First off I never said I was an expert. Also I've never heard of ncqi average, they must not do that anymore, or maybe just not where I work. Ranger I checked out your no HVAC fan post, that is tough one. I would first ask if your 110% positive your test light had a good ground. The way you described the problem it sounds like the programmer and the blower are bad. Now on the blower the red wire should be 12v, the grey wire is the speed control you may need a multimeter to check this one and the black is ground. Try leaving the connector plugged in and backprobbing the connector with one multimeter lead on a GOOD ground and the other on the 12v red wire. Also turn on the heater on a couple different speed settings and check the grey wire should be close to 12v on high. If those are good then I would say blower itself. If not check the wiring before changing the programmer.

mcowden
12-16-04, 09:40 PM
You may not have directly stated that you're an expert, and someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but the nickname "caddywhizkid" followed by a tagline of "Northstar Master" kind of implies that you think your skills are not just expert, but perhaps even a national treasure, and you want to make sure everyone knows it. The immodest name and tagline, combined with the bravado of such statements as "it's absurd to put the supplement pellets in the surge tank" right after someone else just said to do that, and "I've done just about every common repair at least 10 times, so any ?'s just ask" gives people the impression that you're expecting some kind of points or rewards for answering questions.

I'm not trying to tear anybody down or scare anybody away with all this, because all knowledgeable contributors are welcomed and greatly appreciated, but the forums work because they're a collaborative, community effort and not a contest to see who can be the most right the most often. There's no contest here. Nobody wins any prizes for correctly identifying which color wires go to the gonkulator valves, how many layers of chrome are on the muffler bearings, or what brand of air works best in the tires (even though the correct answers are red/brown, 42, and Perri-Air respectively). Cadillac Forums is about people who need help with their cars and other people who try to help. The common denominator is people. If somebody doesn't interface well with people, they're probably not going to enjoy their experience here. When these forums work well, people wind up with cars that run and drive better/safely/again and they probably still have money in their wallets. So the point is, you don't have to impress anyone. Just contribute when you can, learn at every opportunity, and enjoy the good nature of it all. And also, you might want to consider changing your nickname and/or tagline.

Welcome to Cadillac Forums! Glad to have you aboard...

M C
:cheers:

STS 310
12-17-04, 12:53 PM
:welcome: Whats up caddywhiz, glad to have another knowledgeable person on the board.

SHERIFF
12-17-04, 04:08 PM
I am new to this forum. 6 year Caddy tech here. Any ?'s just ask. I've done just about every common repair at least 10 times, so any ?'s just ask.

Well, you asked for it......... :)

Let's assume the dealership you work for has sold 2,000 new Cadillacs in the last 5 years. How many of that 2,000 has been back for major engine repairs? When I use the term "major" I am speaking of $2,000 to $5,000 repairs.

It's not a trick question, I simply have friends who claim the Northstar isn't worth a damn, sounds like sewing machines after a few miles, etc.....

caddywhizkid
12-18-04, 12:47 AM
Sounds like you have smart friends. To be honest I dont even have a s*!tbox caddy, cant afford a decent one, I'm on here to help you people out. I have access to info that not just anybody can get. I guess I cant compete with people like Bbob. Altough if you were to put me and him in a contest......

danbuc
12-18-04, 02:23 AM
Hey caddywhizkid, I drive a caddy and it is NOT a SHITBOX! I bought mine used, as I'm sure about 60-70% of people on this forum did. They don't have much resale value so it's not that hard to find one in good shape for a good price. Your not competing with Bbob. Bbob is liked because he gives good advice and doesn't claim to be a know it all. He has gained the trust of people by respecting them and there questions, no matter how absurd they may be. If you look at some of the past posts, you will find that alot of them are directed specifically at Bbob. He has gained the respect of people on this forum and many others, by offering his help any way he can. This is why he is "Bbob". There is no reason to compete with him, or anyone for that matter. There is always room for more people who have experience with cadillacs.

SHERIFF, most (if not all) N*'s that sound like crap have eithe been poorly maintained or driven too slowly. :D

MARK GREK
12-18-04, 03:09 AM
Sounds like you have smart friends. To be honest I dont even have a s*!tbox caddy, cant afford a decent one, I'm on here to help you people out. I have access to info that not just anybody can get. I guess I cant compete with people like Bbob. Altough if you were to put me and him in a contest......
And what kind of contest might that be?

ellives
12-18-04, 07:22 AM
You may not have directly stated that you're an expert, and someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but the nickname "caddywhizkid" followed by a tagline of "Northstar Master" kind of implies that you think your skills are not just expert, but perhaps even a national treasure, and you want to make sure everyone knows it. The immodest name and tagline, combined with the bravado of such statements as "it's absurd to put the supplement pellets in the surge tank" right after someone else just said to do that, and "I've done just about every common repair at least 10 times, so any ?'s just ask" gives people the impression that you're expecting some kind of points or rewards for answering questions.

I'm not trying to tear anybody down or scare anybody away with all this, because all knowledgeable contributors are welcomed and greatly appreciated, but the forums work because they're a collaborative, community effort and not a contest to see who can be the most right the most often. There's no contest here. Nobody wins any prizes for correctly identifying which color wires go to the gonkulator valves, how many layers of chrome are on the muffler bearings, or what brand of air works best in the tires (even though the correct answers are red/brown, 42, and Perri-Air respectively). Cadillac Forums is about people who need help with their cars and other people who try to help. The common denominator is people. If somebody doesn't interface well with people, they're probably not going to enjoy their experience here. When these forums work well, people wind up with cars that run and drive better/safely/again and they probably still have money in their wallets. So the point is, you don't have to impress anyone. Just contribute when you can, learn at every opportunity, and enjoy the good nature of it all. And also, you might want to consider changing your nickname and/or tagline.

M C

Well said -- my thoughts exactly.

Katshot
12-18-04, 08:14 AM
Damn Ward, aren't you being a little hard on the Beave?

ellives
12-18-04, 08:32 AM
Damn Ward, aren't you being a little hard on the Beave?

Unfortunately "the kid" is too young to know what you're talking about? Might your name be Eddie Haskell? :)

Katshot
12-18-04, 09:28 AM
Unfortunately "the kid" is too young to know what you're talking about? Might your name be Eddie Haskell? :)

Maybe. :shhh:

BeelzeBob
12-18-04, 11:44 AM
I have access to info that not just anybody can get. I guess I cant compete with people like Bbob. Altough if you were to put me and him in a contest......

A contest...???....I can hardly contain myself. You know, I am somewhat of a bull shitter myself but I really enjoy listening to an expert... LOL LOL LOL

Just kidding, really. I love that line.

Seriously, once the (somewhat rocky) introductions are over there is a real benefit to having all sorts of input on the forum. There is a fair amount of theoritical, historical and practical knowlege out there if we can avoid stepping on each other's toes. I'm probably past getting into a wrench slinging contest (I need my reading glasses to see the numbers on the sockets...LOL...and it slows me down) but you have to remember that there are other engines and cars out there that I was developing while you were still wetting the bed. Lot's of room for all to participate.

I have stated many times in the past that I enjoy the internet forums for what I learn on them (and for practicing my typing). There have been a number of items that have come up that have ended up having direct feedback to the people that design and develop the engines and parts. You can test engines and vehicles forever but there are always unknowns in production and out in the field. Internet forums are a rapid and informantive source of information for everyone.

Just keep in mind that NO ONE "knows it all".... The older I get the more I realize I don't know. There are certainly many practical things that I do not know although I doubt that some of the guys in the field really understand why some things are the way they are either. Simple things like the installation point of the coolant supplement pellets seems obvious to the engineers yet was a source or controversy briefly. You'll obviously notice I don't post much on electrical or body work or radios or such....too bad there is not an expert on those items to help out.

Stick around....we can BOTH learn something...wish I had said it that way earlier.

BTW....the sticking around part is not an offhand comment. Many participants of this forum and others have been at it for years. I think my involvement on here has been pretty steady for over a year at least. Many "experts" show up to "roll away the stone" and leave in a matter of days never to be heard from when they suddenly realize that they are not the only one that understands the inside of an engine or Cadillac car. If you participate and search thru the past subjects there is a lot of information out there on the forum to use...and continued participation helps everyone get wiser.

mcowden
12-18-04, 11:47 AM
I guess I cant compete with people like Bbob. Altough if you were to put me and him in a contest......

Again, there's nothing to compete against. There are no contests here. The forums would be useless if it was a contest. Everybody would get p%(#ed off with everybody else and nobody would get the help they need. Please, don't turn it into a contest. You won't win, and neither will anybody else. Just share when you can and realize that everybody else who answers a question is doing it for the same reason you are, to help people out. We're not idiots for doing so, even if the answer doesn't jive with what your experience says, and answers aren't absurd, ridiculous, or stupid. They're answers. If you think something is wrong and want to correct it, by all means please do so. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Just do it in a way that recognizes that everybody is trying to help. Alienate people and you won't learn anything new. That would be a shame, a waste of your time, and it would ruin the forums for everyone.

Example:

Q: Where do I put the coolant supplement pellets?
A: They go in the lower radiator hose.

Bad reply:

A: They don't go in the hose, that's by far the stupidest thing that's ever been said. Listen only to me, for I am the Northstar Master, the Caddy Whiz Kid, and I know all. The surge tank is where they go, and anybody who says otherwise should be sent to an institution for the mechanically declined and also whipped 30 times with a wet towel. I don't care what any engineer says, they're clearly retarded. With my bejeweled crown of 6 years of technician experience and the impenetrable fortress of irrefutable knowledge I have acquired in that time, I crush their skills handily and send them off crying, banished forever from my kingdom of superiority. Mu-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!! Waaahhh ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! Hooooo hoo hoo hoo ha ha ha ha ha!!! Haaaaa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!! Cadillacs suck!

Good reply:

A: I've always put them in the surge tank, but I'll check to be sure and let you know.

That's all I have to say on this subject. Looking forward to the added knowledgebase on the forums, and thank you for volunteering to help out. :thumbsup:

M C

growe3
12-18-04, 12:24 PM

M C

Well said, MC. :thumbsup:

You have expressed my opinion of his remarks. I hope your suggestions in this post and your other post, will be taken as positive ideas for forum communications from him.
-George

Katshot
12-18-04, 01:47 PM
To be honest, I went and read all the "Kids" posts to date and I really don't see where they've been out of line (for the most part). His one post about the coolant tabs might "seem" bad but his method of putting them in the surge tank WAS actually the "proper" method at one point, as he mentioned. I really think the kid's getting beaten up for no good reason here. If you don't believe me, read all of his posts with an open mind and you'll see that I think you guys are judging him a little harshly.
There's WAY more rude and arrogant posts around here from what I've seen.

Ranger
12-18-04, 02:13 PM
To be honest, I went and read all the "Kids" posts to date and I really don't see where they've been out of line (for the most part). His one post about the coolant tabs might "seem" bad but his method of putting them in the surge tank WAS actually the "proper" method at one point, as he mentioned. I really think the kid's getting beaten up for no good reason here. If you don't believe me, read all of his posts with an open mind and you'll see that I think you guys are judging him a little harshly.
Well said Katshot. I think the point has been made. Lets not scare way some valuable experience. After all, he is the only one who has given me any advice at all on nailing down this problem so far. THANKS "KID"! I'll go check it out now. I've got to nail this down before I go replacing expensive parts. I'll post my findings in my original post so as not to bury it here. Thanks again and welcome to the board :welcome:

ellives
12-18-04, 03:01 PM

I suppose "out of line" is subjective. I did as you asked and re-read his comments. I think the point people are making is around the WAY he makes his comments. They are condescending and implying he is better than others. Comments like "Tablets go in surge tank. Putting them in the hose is absurd" and "I'm on here to help you people out. I have access to info that not just anybody can get.... " are good examples.

On the other hand, as I've read ALL his posts now, many of his posts are quite tame and convey the honest value of his experience. I was actually thinking at one point he was the same guy who posted something about having been an automotive technician but quit because he had a bad attitude. I know now they're not the same.

BBob as usual is the voice of sanity and suggested he stick around as everyone's comments add SOME value, so hopefully the kid learns something and decides to stay and continue to contribute.

STS 310
12-18-04, 09:43 PM
Man if that guy has something to bring to the table, then by all means, let him bring it. I have to admit that I remember someone saying something about BBOB negative, who was a newb to the site, but that person was a dork and didnt know what he was talking about.

It is very flattering and noble to step up in BBOB's defense, I still feel compelled to do so, but, maybe WE ALL CAN LEARN FROM EACH OTHER.

BBOB, based on your credential and history the ranch,farm, tractor is still on you and you "expertise".

But, there are always others who can bring something positive and knowledgeable, THINK TANK.

Katshot
12-19-04, 07:58 AM
Nobody here is an "absolute". Bbob is obviously a very knowledgable guy with a lot of "specific" experience. I'm sure there are others here with similar levels of experience and knowledge too. You may not be aware of some of the talent you have here, so I wouldn't be so quick to write anybody off, or be rude to them. And if someone offers a differing opinion to a well-liked or respected member here, they shouldn't be immediately ignored or chastised, especially by members who really depend on these knowledgable sources.
As I recall, a long time ago, we started a thread that basically gave members the opportunity to list their individual talents and automotive "credentials" as it were, in an effort to show other members who might be the people to pay attention to rather than blindly listen to people that "sound" like they know what they're talking about. Sometimes, the pro's may chaffe a little between themselves but overall, it's the blow-hards that bother the pro's more I think.