: annoying chimes and signals

vagondr
10-07-12, 11:23 AM
I've had the vagon for a couple of months - a truly perfect car except for some annoying restrictions as to when you can perform some operations and performing fucntions automatically, which I could do myself. Not a big deal as I can deactivate some. I do wonder what it's trying to tell me when I leave the car and the horn beeps 3 times - turning heads. I just shrug my shoulders because I just don't know what it means. Also there's a continuous chime when the door is open and I sometimes want to sit in the car with a door open. I always have the fob in my pocket so it's not saying you're leaving the key in the car and the lights are off. What makes it more confusing is that it doesn't happen all the time and the horn may blow when a passenger exits. Sometimes the chime stops if I close and then reopen the door. The dealer said it's telling you the car is locking itself but it isn't. The owner's manual says nothing. I'd like to deactivate it, and can I stop the doors from automatically locking?

Mike02z
10-07-12, 11:35 AM
I thought the 3 horn beeps means you left your fob in the car after exiting but I have had the same problem when my fob was in my pocket and I got out and closed the door. I agree the door chime is annoying as I often want to rip music to the HD in my garage with the door open but need to close it as the continual chimes get annoying. I think you can change the auto lock but I actually like the feature

1997BlackETC
10-07-12, 01:07 PM
You sure your turning the fake key on the column off all the way? That would make it do what your talking about. I don't think think there is anyway to defeat the door open chime.

One thing that really bothered me with the 2012 was the way the interior lights would turn on after I shut off the engine while just sitting in the car, I'd pull up in front of someones house and turn off the key to listen to the radio and there the interior light was glaring on my head. Then it would slowly turn off and then about 5 minutes later it would come back on automatically as I was sitting there. That drove me bonkers. I felt like it was a interegation interior light or something allowing people to identify who was sitting in the car in the dark, I felt like ripping out the dome light.

vagondr
10-07-12, 01:09 PM
Maybe when the fob battery gets weaker the car will know it's outside. What do the chimes mean?

1997BlackETC
10-07-12, 01:13 PM
That's true too, maybe he has a bad battery in the FOB, even though the car is new, the battery in the FOB could still be bad, ya never know may have been a battery that was on the shelf a while before it was installed in the FOB at the factory. Maybe try using your other FOB and see it the car still does it.

Crystal Red CTS-V
10-07-12, 01:21 PM
Both my V and Z06 can do this if I get out of the car with the FOB in my pocket and the signal from the FOB is strong enough to fool the receiver into thinking that the FOB is still in the car - beeping the horn three times. Whenever this happens and the door is opened again, the key chime will go off by default as the car thinks that the FOB is still in the car. Sometimes stepping back from the car while closing the door prevents this.

vagondr
10-07-12, 01:50 PM
Food for thought. Try different fobs and fool with the ignition switch. Still wondering what the chimes are saying with the open door

quikag
10-07-12, 09:49 PM
Are you SURE your spare key isn't being left in the car?

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-08-12, 12:11 PM
Vagondr, how is the troubleshooting going? I see you received a lot of helpful suggestions yesterday, and I wanted to jump in to post the information I found on the subject in your owners manual (page 2-15).

"Delayed Locking
With this feature, you can delay the
actual locking of the doors.
When the power door lock switch is
pressed when the key is not in the
ignition and the driver door is
opened, a chime will sound three
times indicating that delayed locking
is active.
When all the doors are closed, the
doors will lock automatically after
five seconds. If a door is reopened
before five seconds have elapsed,
the five second timer will reset itself
once all the doors are closed again.
You can press the door lock switch
again or the lock button on the RKE
transmitter to override this feature
and lock the doors immediately.

Automatic Door Locks
For vehicles with an automatic
transmission, the doors will lock
automatically when all doors are
closed, the ignition is on, and the
shift lever is moved out of P (Park).
The doors will automatically unlock
when the vehicle is stopped and the
shift lever is moved into P (Park).
For vehicles with a manual
transmission, the doors will lock
automatically after the vehicle
speed reaches 8 km/h (5 mph). The
doors will automatically unlock when
the key is turned off and removed
from the ignition.
Use the manual or power door locks
to unlock the doors if someone
needs to exit, and to lock the doors
again.
The power door locks can be
programmed through the Driver
Information Center (DIC). See
Vehicle Personalization on
page 5‑45."

If you're continuing to have frustrations, please let us know!

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

mannyz
10-08-12, 01:23 PM
Yea. I dont understand why it chimes soooo much when in accessory mode. You have to turn the car to ON and leave it there but that drains the battery quicker.

RapidRob
10-08-12, 10:33 PM
^^^^ - Hey mods - the bot is back!

Rob

hulksdaddy
10-08-12, 11:30 PM
Pretty sure this is how Skynet gets started. :lol:

vagondr
10-09-12, 08:24 PM
I did some experimenting. I conclude that the honking says the fob is in the car when the door is closed and the chime gives the same message when the door is opened unless it's a driver door ajar warning. The chime doesn't sound for any but the driver door. Neither the horn or chime sound, most of the time, if no fob is present. Problem - sometimes it do and sometimes it don't. I often exit with the fob in my pocket and the horn sounds and I can make it sound if I hold it near the window. I think it's too sensitive with a fresh battery so I'll try to stand back when closing the door. I like the car turning heads but not by honking at people. What is a bit confusing is that the honking is only sometimes initiated when I close the door while seated in the car with the fob and I had it started honking once when a passenger exited with me and fob 10 feet away. I store a door key in a small vault behind the license plate and a fob, without a battery which is stored separately, buried deep under a spare tire kit, so I can always operate the car without depending on OnStar. Unless it has some chip I don't imagine that disabled fob could have an effect, as I repeat it has no battery. I was hoping never having to dig it out. It is rare for the horn sounding with no active fob present anyhow. I'd like more control of the headlights, interior lighting, door locking and unlocking, nav screen movement and these audible signals, but these are minor annoyances. At least the car doesn't drive itself and I pick the gears. When I start her up(twisting the headlight lever to disable the auto headlights and running lights of course) and the gauges jump, those Corsa muffs roar - all is well.

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-10-12, 10:55 AM
Vagondr, thank you for the follow up. I'm documenting your experimenting observations, feedback, and am on hand if you would like me to call a dealer to gather additional information for you at any point in the process.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

dennych
10-10-12, 06:55 PM
http://www.streetfire.net/video/092-top-gear-cadillac-ctsv_185134.htm

Skip to 1:40 :) reminds me of that

vagondr
10-10-12, 09:36 PM
Damn. He didn't close the door so we could hear the horn. Great video. I thought I saw them all but that's one I missed.

robincox
08-19-14, 08:02 PM
Can you please tell me how to deactivate the horn from blowing 3 times when I leave my remote in my car.. ( in my own garage for instance) This feature is beyond annoying......

the blur
08-19-14, 10:52 PM
The NAV ding is most annoying. In the 2009, it's deafening. They seemed to tone it down in the 2014.

Trapspeed
08-20-14, 07:09 AM
The NAV ding is most annoying. In the 2009, it's deafening. They seemed to tone it down in the 2014.

If you can slam on your wheel volume down button when it's dinging/talking that may turn it down.

larryfs
08-20-14, 07:27 AM
If you can slam on your wheel volume down button when it's dinging/talking that may turn it down. That only turns down the NAV voice talking, not the NAV ding.

vfaninva
08-20-14, 07:44 AM
I'm almost positive the volume for the ding sound can be adjusted too.

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-20-14, 03:08 PM
Can you please tell me how to deactivate the horn from blowing 3 times when I leave my remote in my car.. ( in my own garage for instance) This feature is beyond annoying......

Hello robincox,

I am happy to do some research for you. Could you private message me your VIN? I just need it so I can be sure I'm getting the most accurate information for your vehicle to disable the beeping noise.

Katie O.
Cadillac Customer Care

Trapspeed
08-20-14, 09:45 PM
I'm almost positive the volume for the ding sound can be adjusted too.

So was I because mine isn't that bad. *shrug*

Teamsorad
08-21-14, 05:02 AM
a little off topic but a complaint from me. I really like the feature in my 2011 that you can tap the turn signla lever/combo switch up or down to change lanes on the hwy instead of moving it fully to keep the blinker one but the problem is with the tap it only goes 3-4 times which isn't enough time for a lane change. So I'm either tapping it up/down twice and by that time I should just turn my signal on to get the full lane change or I start to change lanes and then right when I'm about to cross the line I tape it.

Good idea but tap needs to be 5-7 blinks for a normal cruising lane change

(hope that makes sense

vfaninva
08-21-14, 06:45 AM
^^I remember driving in Chicago, you get 1 blink as the other driver jumps in front of you.

pillaplease
08-21-14, 05:26 PM
a little off topic but a complaint from me. I really like the feature in my 2011 that you can tap the turn signla lever/combo switch up or down to change lanes on the hwy instead of moving it fully to keep the blinker one but the problem is with the tap it only goes 3-4 times which isn't enough time for a lane change. So I'm either tapping it up/down twice and by that time I should just turn my signal on to get the full lane change or I start to change lanes and then right when I'm about to cross the line I tape it.

Good idea but tap needs to be 5-7 blinks for a normal cruising lane change

(hope that makes sense

Lol... unless you're making some major S-turn lane changes, you shouldn't have to turn the wheel much and in that case - just hold it in up position until you start the maneuver and let it go and the extra couple blinks last you long enough.

----------

^^I remember driving in Chicago, you get 1 blink as the other driver jumps in front of you.

Yeah - what's a blinker?

Teamsorad
08-21-14, 10:43 PM
Turning the wheel isn't the issue, when I change lanes on the hwy I drift one way or the other not yank my wheel. I'm also aware you can hold it or just use your signal but the point was that gm made it so you cm just tap it which was a great idea. Just not enough flashes for a nice proper cruising lane change.

CavemanB52
08-22-14, 07:20 AM
Turning the wheel isn't the issue, when I change lanes on the hwy I drift one way or the other not yank my wheel. I'm also aware you can hold it or just use your signal but the point was that gm made it so you cm just tap it which was a great idea. Just not enough flashes for a nice proper cruising lane change.

The idea is to signal the other folks on the road you are about to change lanes. Not annoy everyone around your vehicle the entire time your changing lanes with your blinker. If people cant figure out that your changing lanes once you're more than half way across the line then it doesnt matter what you do. You could stick a blinking pink elephant out the side of your car it wouldnt matter. They aren't paying attention. Hence you you dont need your blinker on the entire time. And some of us would appreciate it if you didn't.

pillaplease
08-22-14, 08:19 AM
I think the idea of the tap and blink is just to let people know you're coming over, like Caveman* said. It's not supposed to be a replacement for the times you're trying to squeeze into traffic and need people to see your blinker and them allow you to merge.

Just a nice little wave like, "Big Gulps, huh? Welp, see ya later!"

thebigjimsho
08-22-14, 09:05 PM
Yeah, I wish it was 4 or 5 blinks. Not a big deal.

08-25-14, 04:52 PM
First world problems. Reminds me of one of the guys on the Mustang forums complaining about the artificial electronic click sound of the turn signals. FYI, here is the virginia code regarding turn signals:

Every driver who intends to back, stop, turn, or partly turn from a direct line shall first see that such movement can be made safely and, whenever the operation of any other vehicle may be affected by such movement, shall give the signals required in this article, plainly visible to the driver of such other vehicle, of his intention to make such movement.

So to me, the VA law requires that you signal before you start. No requirement to signal through the entire manuever. I assume all states are similar, though I assume that some blue states require that you pay a tax before changing lanes :devil:.

My only complaint about the GM lane change feature is that I have gotten so used to it in our family's two GM cars that I treat our 3 other cars as if they have it, but they don't.....

THMorrill
08-25-14, 09:49 PM
I'm pretty sure the automotive universe is in some way adopting the 3-5 blinks per tap of the stalk as my '12 F150 does the same as well as the last VW I rented whilst in Germany in 2010 not to mention the last two Hyundais I drove...conspiracy? You be the judge but I thought I remembered something about that feature originating with Autobahn travel in the 90's.

And the ding volume is in the setting for Navigation each tap on the arrows up or down the bar will correspond to a change in volume for prompts and dings...

Teamsorad
08-26-14, 03:17 AM
I have been using it more and more, trying not to be to picky but I really do think it is a great idea. Just like a lot of stuff, just falls short. I am using it and it is done blinking before I even get half way through the lane change haha. Just feels like there should be more blinks

A nice feature though

CavemanB52
08-27-14, 06:49 AM
:banghead: