: Left Rear Wheel/Tire, ROAR

bbbeast1
10-07-12, 10:00 AM
Hi Guys(& Gals)

Havin just took delivery on my '12 CTS-V(w/25K on the clock) on Saturday, a week ago. I notice the steerin wheel was off center to the left and the car pulled to the right. But, I also, noticed a (constant) roar comin from the left rear wheel.

So, I took it back to the dealership for service & they performed a 4 wheel alignment and told me that was the trick. They said the tires had a massive tie-in on the tires/wheels. Which was not the factory required spec.

Well yea, the alignment did correct the streein wheel issues. But, the roar in the left rear is just intermittent now. Regardless of the speed up to 50-60mph.

(While I was readin thru the FAQ's on the site here. I was thinkin maybe it could be a low diff. fuild level?) :cookoo:

Does anyone have an ideas on this issue w/ the roar? Or has anyone experienced this situation in your Caddy?

This has got to be corrected one way of the other!!! A Cadillac should not have a roar in it, period!!!

Thanks in advance,
Don

baabootoo
10-07-12, 12:44 PM
I'd say that a "roar" would be tire related. A whine or whir might be the rear axle. That sounds like rubber to me. Did they pull that tire and inspect it good?

OldRoadDawg
10-07-12, 01:41 PM
Does anyone have an ideas on this issue w/ the roar? Or has anyone experienced this situation in your Caddy?
I may have something similar to what you have. It is a difficult sound to describe and I have had it from Day 1.
Sort of sounds like a moderately aggressive tread pattern on a coarser road surface. The pitch of the sound will change depending on whether I'm on concrete or asphalt and how coarse the actual surface is. A low roar is as good a description as anything.

I had the differential fluid changed early on at the dealer and also changed it myself, using AMSoil & Sliplock additive, so I'm sure it is not a low fluid issue. And the diff has never actually whined. I know that sound from owning a V1.

It sounds more like tires or road noise, i.e. - when a rear door may not be completely closed, and the sound gets transmitted into the passenger area. I'm on my second set of PS2s, but the low level roaring sound has remained consistent. I even discussed tire noise with a tire engineer from Michelin at a driving lab at Monticello. He said it should not be tire noise, but didn't have any suggestions. The tech from the local dealership drives it around the block and says he doesn't hear anything.

My V has never had any of the other clicks, squeaks or rattles, so this noise is irritating, but difficult to diagnose.
Something I'm usually successful at doing. I'm leaning towards a rear wheel bearing, but the noise has remained the same for 3 yrs. And I don't recall of anyone on the forum complaining of tire noise from the oem Michelin PS2 tires.

I'm stumped, so I'm going to take it to Lindsay Cadillac for a second opinion. Or continue to keep the radio volume turned up.

quikag
10-07-12, 03:36 PM
I have the same issue. I posted last week about it and no one responded. It's almost like a fan noise coming from the back seat. My wife heard it today on our way to lunch and she is NOT a car person. She asked what that sound was that sounds like running water. It's a subtle sound and not loud but it's there and once above 20-30mph it's a constant sound. Pretty weird. I'll have my dealership check it out when the car is in for it's first service as the oil life is at 20%

neuronbob
10-07-12, 06:27 PM
Wheel bearings? I had that same roaring noise from the front last winter. I needed new front bearings. Changing them out solved the problem. Quiet since. I had about 37k miles on my car at the time this occurred.

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-07-12, 08:49 PM
bbeast1 & quikag, please email me (Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com) if you would like me to follow up with your respective dealerships at any point in your process! I'm so sorry to hear about the frustrations so far, and I've made sure to document your feedback where GM departments can access it.

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

allinmyhead
10-08-12, 12:39 PM
I had what I'd describe as tire roar, like you had big knobby off road tires (but accompanied by what I'd describe as an off balance ceiling fan noise when lifting off the gas from > 50mph) ... was left rear carrier bearing; new diff.

baabootoo
10-09-12, 02:59 PM
You guys now that there IS fan fan roar noise in the seats, right? It took me a while but I noticed that it was when I use the cooling part.

dons
10-09-12, 05:22 PM
I have an idea what it may be. I have a 2011 V coupe with low mileage and kept hearing a noise at around 40 to 50 MPH. Sounded like the tires at first, so I replaced all the tires and the noise did not go away. Kept listening to it and determined it was coming from the back of the car. Took it in this morning to the Cadillac dealership and they called me and told me it was a rear bearing and that the fix was to replace the whole rear end. So tomorrow they will fix it under warranty. The service man told me that he has seen this happen before but not frenquently. Maybe that is the problem?

cts-v ls6
10-10-12, 05:58 PM
Documented a similar noise with my Caddy dealer when my 2010 V2 was still in warranty. Changed the rear end fluid with additive 3 times. Didn't help. Went back at 77K miles and they replaced the entire rear end. All the work sheet said was "defective rear end" so I don't know if it was a bearing, the clutch plates, or what.

I do know that others have had this same issue.

The noise I had is gone BUT...the large rear tires (I run Continentals) do make noise, especially at highway speeds.

Jack