: HPDE choices for southern Michigan??

larry arizona
10-07-12, 09:42 AM
I plan on doing a HPDE next spring and I am looking for one near Southeast Michigan. When I search, I find two choices, Grattan raceway/FAAST drivers school or Mid-Ohio. Any recommendations?

Will stock pads and rear diff hold up for several 20 min sessions? I am OK with getting track pads and upgrading to DOT 4 fluid and even getting some stainless steel hoses

BTW, who makes a good stainless steel hoses for the V?

TIA,

LA

baabootoo
10-07-12, 01:57 PM
Gingerman too, but it's by Lake Michigan. I'm still on my stock pads after three track seasons, and have had NO problems at all! I only changed my differential fluid because of mileage and that hot message seems to be a spotty thing. You will want the fluid upgrade, but the hoses seem like overkill to me unless you'll be doing this daily. Again, I've done this for three seasons w/o a hitch.

larry arizona
10-07-12, 02:41 PM
BBT:thumbsup: Thanks!

Torxila
10-07-12, 05:26 PM
Re SS flex lines, Luke Butler @ Lindsay Cadillac has them.

also check out 3 Balls Racing for track days. www.3ballsracing.com

They still have one event for Oct 27/28th at Mid Ohio,

I hope to see you at the Vettes-n-V's Fall Cruise on the 20th

George

larry arizona
10-07-12, 06:27 PM
Thanks George,

Still planning on attending the Vettes n V's Oct 20th, weather permitting.......:thumbsup:

neuronbob
10-07-12, 07:30 PM
Mid-Ohio is worth the drive. I plan to do HPDE there in the spring, schedule allowing. Excellent courses at noob (me), intermediate, and expert levels. I also +1 Gingerman but only from reputation, as some of my other car buds have driven there from Cleveland and enjoyed the courses there.

larry arizona
10-07-12, 08:26 PM
Gingerman is 2.5 hours, Mid Ohio is 3 hours so not too bad. Would be fun to get together a V HDPE day at mid ohio.

jenlain
10-07-12, 09:26 PM
Mid Ohio is excellent. The Porsche and BMW clubs run great events there and welcome all types of cars. I recommend changing brake pads and fluid before going to the track.

Tom Paine
10-07-12, 09:26 PM
I drive at gingerman a lot. Great track /people. They have a school called cgi. Check their calendar, lots still going on.

V Wagon
10-10-12, 03:39 PM
Gingerman is HANDS DOWN the best track in the area for someone who has never been to a track. It is next to impossible to get yourself in trouble there. Grattan and Mid Ohio are more technical, more fun tracks. But you will have a blast as a beginner still at Gingerman and be on a track with lots and lots of run off and very little ability to get in over your head and wad your car up.

NASA has a good HPDE program with great instructors. I've run with 3 balls quite a bit. That is a good group of guys.

CGIMotorsports is renting Gingerman on Monday 10/15 if you want to get out this fall still. Someone else on the forum mentioned recently having been out with that group and I have another friend that had his C6 Z06 out with them recently too. Both had good things to say about them.

Definitely change fluid to at least the ATE Super Blue or Motul 600. That is a cheap, easy thing to do. You can get the Super Blue locally at S&G Imports, there are several of them around, Waterofrd, Berkley, Farmington Hills, and a couple others i think. You can get away with pads as a beginner but really, you are going to put so much wear on the street pads that you might as well put in a good track pad and have the extra heat resistance as insurance.