: Revealing My Next Addition... Rear Fog Lamps

ddalder
10-07-12, 12:29 AM
RPO T79 - Rear Fog Lamps

There are a couple of ways to add these, but as with everything I add to my cars, I only do modifications consistent with the way GM would or does install them. Another method would be to wire them to the front fog lights. Unfortunately, this eliminates the possibility of controlling the front and rear independently.

I had to add a wire to the instrument panel wiring harness to accommodate the rear fog lamp control... There are other ways to get a wire across the dash to the Instrument Panel Module, but it's not the way I do mods. Not something for the faint of heart...

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/dda1080/_STS%20Rear%20Fog%20Lights/IMG_3554.jpg

I also had to add wiring and related parts to the right rear fuse block, main body harness and rear fascia harness. Those of you with a keen eye will notice the addition of a relay and fuse...

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/dda1080/_STS%20Rear%20Fog%20Lights/IMG_3660.jpg

Of course I unwrapped the harness sections, added wiring using the factory connectors and re-wrapped everything again. Here I'm working on the inline connector to the rear fascia harness...

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/dda1080/_STS%20Rear%20Fog%20Lights/IMG_3616.jpg

Here's what the lamp assembly looks like out of the vehicle...

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/dda1080/_STS%20Rear%20Fog%20Lights/IMG_3577.jpg

I replaced the rear fascia with a new one so that I would have the correct mounting for the lamp assemblies. I have the Side Blind Zone Alert system which is not available in the European STS. I was worried about mounting the SBZA modules to the export fascia. GM actually made this very easy for me. The European STS TPMS system utilizes a separate receiver for each wheel. As it turns out, the SBZA and TPMS modules are identical in size, mounting and location. Although the mount on the fascia is labelled TPMS, my SBZA modules fit right in. Here is the completely assembled rear fascia...

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/dda1080/_STS%20Rear%20Fog%20Lights/IMG_3632.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/dda1080/_STS%20Rear%20Fog%20Lights/IMG_3629.jpg

Of course there is also the new fog lamp control switch...

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/dda1080/_STS%20Rear%20Fog%20Lights/IMG_3663.jpg

And the final product...

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/dda1080/_STS%20Rear%20Fog%20Lights/IMG_3690a.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/dda1080/_STS%20Rear%20Fog%20Lights/IMG_3695a.jpg

You'll notice in this next picture, there is another instrument cluster icon for the rear fog lamps...

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/dda1080/_STS%20Rear%20Fog%20Lights/IMG_3674.jpg

The system works by rotating the collar on the multifunction lever which grounds an input on the Instrument Panel Module. The IPM then sends a data bus message to the Rear Integration Module to ground one side of a relay coil. The other side of the coil is connected to CRANK/RUN voltage. When the relay is engaged it supplies 12VDC to the rear fog lamp assemblies. GM has the circuit fused at 10A which I feel is a little aggressive. Measured current draw for both lamp assemblies is only 680mA, so less than 1/10th of the fuse rating. Regardless, I've fused the circuit as GM specifies. I did need to turn this option on in the IPM configuration with my Tech2.

One item I still need to address is the rear bumper impact bar. I'll be replacing mine with the export version. The domestic bar rubs slightly against the top of the rear fog lamp assemblies when the fascia is in place. To avoid future cracks or broken parts I'll just buy the correct impact bar.

This was quite costly but it was more about the challenge of successfully completing the project.

MoistCabbage
10-07-12, 12:41 AM
Very nice! :thumbsup:

curtc
10-07-12, 12:43 AM
Looks sexy...definitely something I will never undertake nor pay someone to do...but damn, looking good!

chazglenn3
10-07-12, 03:32 AM
I would like to be first in line to buy your STS whenever you decide to buy a different car. Seriously. Please let me know!

targetSTS
10-07-12, 07:51 AM
great mod :thumbsup:
I'm also thinking of this, but I want to connect it to front fogs only. Should be more simplier...

I have the same color and looking for clear 3rd brake taillight - hard to find.
Myabe You know -is it possible to swap 08+ euro\canadian instrument cluster to 05-07 US STS?

Thanks for report!
It very useful!

carter's_sts
10-07-12, 12:34 PM
That's crazy ambition. How many extra parts did you have when you got it all back together :)

Looks great.

ddalder
10-07-12, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the compliments everyone :)

I would like to be first in line to buy your STS whenever you decide to buy a different car. Seriously. Please let me know!
I can't see selling it, but I'll certainly keep this in mind if I ever do. I'm holding on to my Bonneville as well. I've done even more work on that car. I can see needing a bigger garage though!

great mod :thumbsup:
I'm also thinking of this, but I want to connect it to front fogs only. Should be more simplier...

I have the same color and looking for clear 3rd brake taillight - hard to find.
Myabe You know -is it possible to swap 08+ euro\canadian instrument cluster to 05-07 US STS?

Thanks for report!
It very useful!
The problem you'll have is transferring the mileage. I bought a new cluster and had the odometer officially transferred by a GM Electronic Service Center. I'll check my service manual later for connector wiring and let you know. Likely, if the wiring is the same, it will probably be possible. If it was from a different car or pre-2005 I'd be worried about software compatibility. This may still be a problem, but less likely.

That's crazy ambition. How many extra parts did you have when you got it all back together :)

Looks great.
Yup, that was a concern for sure. I take a lot of pics whenever I get into a project this far and keep strict track/count of every fastener. No left over parts :)

dl72
10-07-12, 01:49 PM
Great job

buzz
10-09-12, 09:15 PM
I had two new Volvos, a 1990 760 Turbo, and a 1994 960 and they both had rear fog lamps. They were standard equipment. I always wondered why US cars didn't offer this either as standard equipment or as an option. After all, visibility from the rear is just as important when driving in fog. Making sure the driver behind you can see you could prevent someone from parking in your trunk or, worse yet, in the same seat as you.

ddalder
10-09-12, 11:59 PM
I completely agree. Unfortunately is probably comes down to cost to equip every car even though many areas don't have a real fog problem on a regular basis. Personally, I'd like to see it as at least an option.

Charles Warren
10-10-12, 09:09 PM
Nice. And you ripped your sts apart like i did my gtp, except your done and have a sucess story lol. I think i want this mod when i get some extra money

buzz
10-10-12, 09:25 PM
I completely agree. Unfortunately is probably comes down to cost to equip every car even though many areas don't have a real fog problem on a regular basis. Personally, I'd like to see it as at least an option.

It is a beautiful job you did. You have more ambition than me; however, I do know some very talented automotive folks. One used to work for me and ran my service department. So is this available as an aftermarket kit? If so, where did you purchase?

Charles Warren
10-10-12, 11:02 PM
Not just for fog but i always wondered why audis benzes and jags had them rear lights on in the rain. It would decrease rearend collisions in the rain

And op you did a helluva job thats coming from a multi skilled electrician that works on c-130s.

ddalder
10-10-12, 11:10 PM
It is a beautiful job you did. You have more ambition than me; however, I do know some very talented automotive folks. One used to work for me and ran my service department. So is this available as an aftermarket kit? If so, where did you purchase?
Thanks. All parts were sourced through a GM parts department independently. This was based on research. I sifted through the schematic diagrams, reviewed exploded parts views, looked at applicable parts listing and generated a summary of what I'd need. Paint work was done at a local body shop I trust (I'm very particular about the vendors I use). Sourcing some of the connector terminals was a little tricky. All but one terminal is stocked at every GM dealership in their terminal repair kit. I obtained the difficult to find terminal through a business contact I have. He really did me an enormous favour and helped me out with this one. Wire was obtained in the correct gauge and colour from an industrial electronics supply company. I had wire harness tape from some previous projects so this was immediately on hand (I don't use electrical tape for wrapping harnesses).

buzz
10-11-12, 10:30 PM
So, the lamp assemblies are available as a GM part. I wonder if this is because the Chinese SLS version offers rear fog lamps as an accessory and the North American STS version doesn't. It's a shame this was not offered across the board. Fog lamps may not be very important to owners in many areas of the US; however, I have been in such dense fog here in Minnesota, I had difficulty driving. Fortunately, most drivers up here will slow down when visibility is very poor. I said most because there are always a few idiots who won't and you want to make sure you can see them before they cause irreversible damage. This is why we have radar on our boat we keep on the Mississippi river.

Would you be willing to share the GM part numbers for forum members?

Ludacrisvp
10-11-12, 11:23 PM
Would you be willing to share the GM part numbers for forum members?
Yeah that would be nice, though I would just wire it into my parking lights with a relay and call it a day to use them as fog lights.
Or as additional turn signals or brake lamps. I feel that they could be useful lights to have around.
They would certainly not be as good as your installation of them.

ddalder
10-11-12, 11:50 PM
I'll work on composing a list and post it as soon as I can. I don't mind sharing information about projects I complete.

ddalder
10-13-12, 05:08 AM
Here is a list of parts I used. Some of them are year specific (rear fascia for example) so be aware of what you order and confirm what's required for your model year. I believe this to be accurate and complete. If I'm missing anything or find errors, I'll update accordingly.

Qty: P/N: Description:
1 173681-2 Terminal (TE Connectivity / AMP), Female Unsealed 22-20 AWG - Rear Integration Module Connector X1, Terminal 10
1 1123343-2 Terminal (TE Connectivity / AMP), Female Unsealed 24-20 AWG - Instrument Panel Module Connector X3, Terminal 11
1 7116-4020 Terminal (Yazaki), Female Unsealed 22-20 AWG - Right Rear Fuse Block, Terminal S3
5 7126-8825-02 Terminal (Yazaki), Female Unsealed 22-20 AWG - Right Rear Fuse Block, Terminals R31, R32, R33, R35, FU20
4 12048074 Terminal (Delphi), Female MetriPack 150 Sealed 22-20 AWG - Fog Lamp Assembly, Terminals A, B
2 12052641 Connector (Delphi), Female MetriPack 150 Sealed 2 Cavity
2 12052634 TPA Lock (Delphi), MetriPack 150 BLUE, Fog Lamp Assembly Connector (Harness Side)
4 15324976 Seal (Delphi), Cable MetriPack 150 WHITE 2.15mm - 1.60mm, Fog Lamp Assembly Connector (Harness Side)
1 12191819 Terminal (Delphi), Female GT-150 Sealed 22-20 AWG - Body Harness to Rear Fascia Harness Connector X400 (Inline), Terminal A
1 15326269 Terminal (Delphi), Male GT-150 Sealed 22-20 AWG - Body Harness to Rear Fascia Harness Connector X400 (Inline), Terminal A
2 15366021 Seal (Delphi), Cable GT-150 WHITE 1.9mm - 1.2mm, Body Harness to Rear Fascia Harness Connector X400 (Inline), Terminal A
1 12191812 Terminal (Delphi), Female GT-150 Unsealed 22-20 AWG - Body Harness to Steering Column Harness Connector X202 (Inline), Terminal A1
2 10125439 Rivet, Rear Fascia -> Support Bracket
5 10121502 Retainer, Push-In Rear Fascia -> Support Bracket & Rear Fascia -> Body
4 11518017 Retainer, Push-In Rear Fog Lamp Assembly -> Rear Fascia
1 1999392 Multifunction Switch, Export (T79)
1 9015554 Lamp, Rear Fog LH (T79)
1 9015556 Lamp, Rear Fog RH (T79)
1 19168194 Fascia, Rear (T79) DW/DY, Except DX (STS-V)
1 25832901 Bar, Bumper Impact (T79)
1 12092079 Fuse, 10A Mini (RED)
1 88953222 Relay, SPST (4 Pin)
- - Wire, 22 AWG ORANGE, As Required
- - Wire, 22 AWG WHITE, As Required
- - Wire, 22 AWG BLUE, As Required
- - Wire, 22 AWG BLACK, As Required
- - Tape, Wire Harness 0.75" Vinyl, As Required
- - Tape, Wire Harness 0.75" Cloth, As Required
- - Tape, Wire Harness 1.25", As Required
- - Tubing, Heat Shrink w/Adhesive, As Required

ddalder
10-13-12, 12:24 PM
Note regarding these part numbers and other general information...

Many of these are listed in the GM parts department computer and can be looked up as shown here. Some of these are the part number as designated by the part manufacturer and will not appear in the GM parts department listings. These primarily include terminals and cable seals but the numbers I've listed are how the parts are identified in the GM terminal repair kit located in the dealership service department. Items such as the MetriPack 150 connectors and terminal position assurance (TPA) locks are available through www.mouser.com. Some terminals and cable seals are available here as well.

The rivets are required when you transfer the bracket that the wiring harness in the rear fascia clips to across to the new fascia. A standard pop rivet tool will install these correctly.

It MAY be possible to use the existing rear fascia by making a modification. I have not tried this, however looking at mine it may be worth a try. I will post some additional pictures later explaining my thoughts on this but I suspect this will only apply to newer model years.

All wire used is 22 AWG. The equivalent to this is 0.35mm2 and this is how it will be referenced in the GM schematic diagrams.

Wire harness tape looks like black electrical tape, however they are not the same. Wire harness tape is highly conformal and has some other differing properties.

To properly complete connections in the rear of the vehicle at connector X400, located outside the vehicle, a special crimp tool intended for sealed GT-150 terminals is required.

The heat shrink tubing is required when splicing connections in the rear fascia wiring harness to make the necessary ground connections and branching off the supply voltage to both fog lamp assemblies. These need to be protected from moisture intrusion.

Terminal P/N 7126-8825-02 will be very hard to source. These are not available in the GM terminal repair kit but are necessary as they are the mating terminal in the rear fuse block for the fog lamp fuse (one side) and for the fog lamp relay. About the only way to obtain these might be by purchasing a rear fuse block from a 2005-2011 STS from an auto wrecker with about a foot of wiring attached. The terminals could be harvested and the new wiring spliced on the wire attached to the terminal. I was very fortunate in that I was able to source just enough new terminals through a contact I have, but I can't see this generally being possible. Only one is required for the fuse. The other one is already in place as it is part of internal power bus of the fuse block itself. All four are required for the relay.

1SGLAC
10-13-12, 04:34 PM
very nice job. Your STS looks great

buzz
10-13-12, 10:46 PM
ddalder, thanks for the great followup.

ddalder
10-21-12, 02:02 AM
I received the new rear bumper impact bar this past week and thought I'd install it. The part number is 25832901. It appears the new and original are the same, with the exception of widened cutouts to permit clearance for the lamp assemblies.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/dda1080/_STS%20Rear%20Fog%20Lights/IMG_3837.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/dda1080/_STS%20Rear%20Fog%20Lights/IMG_3851.jpg

PontiacV8
10-21-12, 03:21 AM
...ah...yes, that I was thinking about...:)

...the bumper bar is the same part (and has the same part-#) on my 2006 export STS...

...btw...as I said before...expensive, but a really good and very nice job...

(...what about adding a third headrest for the back seat like all european export STS's...? ;) :D )

...if you ever sell your car, I should buy and import it...:)

Ludacrisvp
10-21-12, 03:29 AM
Yeah you need middle headrest on rear seat ... Might as well workout a fold-down seat too for trunk passthrough. Or better yet get the SLS china rear center console and convert the car to 2+2 seating.

PontiacV8
10-21-12, 03:52 AM
Or better yet get the SLS china...

...yes...the China SLS has some very nice goodies...:D

...but...I wish I can get my hands on some China SLS parts...especially a set of the later China SLS model tail lights and led backup lights...

...ok...a little off-topic...sorry...

Ludacrisvp
10-21-12, 09:04 AM
This is probably the best maintained Sigma based STS out there. So clean...

From GM Parts Direct for the 2 LED Fog Lamps:
GM PART # 9015554
List Price: $320.17
Price: $195.94
You Save: $124.23 (39%)

GM PART # 9015556
List Price: $320.17
Price: $195.94
You Save: $124.23 (39%)

Would you consider those to be accurate / valid pricing?
Did you get a better price than that? (you don't have to respond to that if you don't want to).

For the rear I think those LED reverse SLS lights are a must have, it would really complete the look.
I hope someone can figure out a source for them.

ddalder
10-21-12, 12:28 PM
I'd like to add the third head rest, however this would be difficult because of the pass-through. If you look really close at the last picture, you can see where the rods come down for the left and right headrests. They extend below where the pass-through opening is. It may be possible to add a fixed headrest, but that wouldn't be quite the same. I guess if this is standard in European STS's, it can be done. I'd need to replace the entire seat back though, and possibly some of the trunk trim.

As for the SLS... I'd love to have that interior. The rear seats in that car have the option to be ventilated (based on some schematics I saw). The rear console would be nice to have as well. I may have to work on the back-up lights and see what I can discover. Those would be nice. Not positive about fit though. They look like they'd fit, but there may be subtle differences. My best guess is that they'll be a little pricey.

As for the pricing, that's pretty accurate. I did pay a little more, but I want to support the dealership I buy from. I think it evens out though, because I understand GMPartsDirect can be a little hard on shipping and handling.

Ludacrisvp
10-21-12, 02:11 PM
Perhaps the euro model middle headrest doesn't go up as high or it may have an alternate mount point on the headrest to give the same hight with shorter rods.

I see, wasn't sure if you were using local dealer or an online source. Also wanted to make sure the prices there weren't out of this world.

I think the rev led would likely plug right in. If you noticed on the STS the bulb is plugged into an adapter of sorts for reverse.

Oh and if you look at the pictures thread I made in the SLS forum you can see the buttons on the console for the seats. To me it looks like heat / vent / massage.

ddalder
10-21-12, 02:25 PM
It appears that not all export STS's have the center headrest. It is dependent on whether the car was built with RPO A82. I'm going to need to do a little more research...

I'm not too worried about the electrical on the reverse lights, this is easy to deal with. It's more the shape of the lamps basically looks the same, but they may not be a perfect fit. It's certainly worth looking into though.

PontiacV8
10-21-12, 05:06 PM
It appears that not all export STS's have the center headrest. It is dependent on whether the car was built with RPO A82.

...yes...not all export, but all european export (RPO: MAE) ...and almost all...or many countries adopting the ECE regulations...

...e.g....for MJ 2006 only the RPO-code "EXP" (for export)-"CV3" Mexico exports didn't get the "A82"...cause there is no big difference to the US-based/domestic vehicles...
...all other STS with RPO-Code "EXP" got the "A82" code and all the other export stuff like "A26" uk/european window glazing, "XA7" heated washer nozzles...and so on...
(...and IIRC, the canadian "Z49" coded cars didn't get an extra "EXP"-code/marking as export vehicle like the mexican cars...but they are also almost US-based/domestic equipped...so no "A82"...)

...as for the pass-through and headrest rods...I will have a look on my car ;) ...and make a picture...

ddalder
10-21-12, 07:14 PM
I haven't been able to research export versions of the STS as much as I'd like. Definitely, there are very few differences between the US and Canadian cars and the Canadian car doesn't get the EXP RPO. Z49 is of course the Mandatory Base Canadian Equipment. This will include such things as french labeling for the right outside rear view mirror, a kilo cluster, DRL's that can't be turned off while in motion, etc.

I've had a hard time even finding good interior and exterior photos of the European version. It would be great if you were able to take a bunch of photos of yours to post :) In the "Domestic" market (US/Canada), only the STS-V got the heated washer nozzles. This is another one I'm going to do a little more research on. From a wiring perspective, it's easy enough. The bigger questions is whether there is adequate under hood clearance and if they will correctly fit into the holes of the non-V hood.

There are lots of possible upgrades I'm researching but I don't know what will be next. I've spent a lot on my cars this year so I might use the winter for research and save the actual upgrades for spring/summer next year. We're into snow here now so although I have a well lit, heated garage, mods are always more enjoyable in the summer.

I discovered that the SLS has adjustable electric seat bases in the rear. Ludacrisvp was absolutely correct, the rear seats have massage in addition to heat/ventilation. The SLS also has rear lit vanity mirrors in the headliner.

is3_ftw
10-21-12, 08:15 PM
wow, awesome work. Like someone said, I will never take on something like this. I would probably just tie the wire in with the foglight that already exists ;)
+1 for a job well done

EChas3
10-21-12, 10:29 PM
DD -> I admire your success but caution you on 'quests' in general. Who quipped "This way madness leads?"

But, by all means, enjoy!

PontiacV8
10-22-12, 11:22 AM
I've had a hard time even finding good interior and exterior photos of the European version. It would be great if you were able to take a bunch of photos of yours to post :).

...In the "Domestic" market (US/Canada), only the STS-V got the heated washer nozzles...

...The bigger questions is whether there is adequate under hood clearance and if they will correctly fit into the holes of the non-V hood...

...yes, the washer nozzles will fit a non-V hood...exports got the same base-hood like domestics...so there must be also an adequate clearance...and it looks like it is a simple wiring... ;) ...I quickly removed the underhood liner for a picture...

well...for the third/center headrest...it is a kind of a fixed one...so there are no long rods...and no problems with the pass-through...

I made a few pictures, but they are poor quality...(I had to use my old smartphone camera...:( )
...but I will take some better pics when I get my camera back this weekend...:)

third/center headrest and pass-through
http://i47.tinypic.com/34rtx5i.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2dvkcoj.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/sawk1t.jpg

heated washer nozzles on base-hood ("inside" view)
http://i49.tinypic.com/1z4ij9i.jpg

Ludacrisvp
10-22-12, 11:46 AM
So are those heated washers still susceptible to the fire related recall?

EChas3
10-22-12, 09:29 PM
I think that recall was to protect idiots, not a real design issue.

ddalder
10-23-12, 12:25 AM
These are entirely different than what was affected by the recall. I had installed the heated washer system in my Bonneville (link below shows the module and installation).

http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/post115125.html#p115125

The STS, although it shares the same RPO code, is only a heated nozzle. I believe there was a genuine problem with the early design modules recalled by GM. From what I understand, there were two revisions and by the third, I understand there were no associated incidents. Regardless, GM dropped this option which is unfortunate. I would have liked to seem them work to improve this. The system actually works very well.

Thanks very much, PontiacV8. Those pics are very helpful :) I look forward to seeing the others when you have an opportunity.

targetSTS
12-27-12, 05:15 PM
I may have to work on the back-up lights and see what I can discover. Those would be nice. Not positive about fit though. They look like they'd fit, but there may be subtle differences. My best guess is that they'll be a little pricey.

i have led backups installed at my sts.
They fit perfetly. I have another pair (new) if someone interested.

1BadCadSTS
12-27-12, 10:32 PM
Shot you a pm. Can you post the GM part number for those?

PontiacV8
12-28-12, 04:16 PM
...and the source...;) (...cause I'm interested in these kind of lamps, too...) :)

@ddalder:
...just saw my old post here...and...I made new pics...but there is not a big difference to the old I posted...;)...any special wishes? :)

Seamaster_007
12-29-12, 01:20 AM
Very, very, very nice, super clean install!

PontiacV8
01-10-13, 01:58 PM
i have led backups installed at my sts.

...btw Alex...is there a little back-up camera on your car...?
...the little black thing...over the license plate, in the left license plate light housing...similar to the China-SLS...? :) ...nice find...

1BadCadSTS
01-10-13, 02:05 PM
Yea. They can be ordered online. Sls back up camera.

targetSTS
01-10-13, 02:29 PM
...btw Alex...is there a little back-up camera on your car...?
...the little black thing...over the license plate, in the left license plate light housing...similar to the China-SLS...? :) ...nice find...
yea, license plate with backup camera instead of oem license plate

1BadCadSTS
01-10-13, 05:09 PM
Yea. They can be ordered online. Sls back up camera.

B1n2fra
01-10-13, 08:02 PM
Will this work on a 2007 sts without the lockpick installed?

----------

Will this work on a 2007 sts without the lockpick installed?

The camera

1BadCadSTS
01-10-13, 09:05 PM
No.

Won't work.