: Ordered DirecTV for my Escalade

Poncherello
10-06-12, 10:51 PM
Yesterday I ordered the Tracvision A7 DirecTV equipment for my 2010 ESV. It should be ready for install in about two weeks. I also ordered the "Video in Motion" to unlock the Nav and allow video viewing on the front screen. I'm hoping the A7 works as well as they claim it does. Anyone ever use it that can share their experiences?

surburban99
10-07-12, 09:49 AM
What type of antenna does this require? Do you have a photo?

nathanjax
10-07-12, 10:49 AM
What type of antenna does this require? Do you have a photo?

The round thing is the "dish" or "antenna"

http://www.mysafeandsound.com/manager/uploads/big_1276884703_CadillacEscalade%20tracvision.jpg

http://directvauto.com/gallery/escalade_overview_tracvision.jpg

Poncherello
10-07-12, 10:53 PM
I'm really excited to get this but I have to admit I'm not all that impressed with the way it looks on top of the vehicle. I'm also hoping it is able to withstand the 5 or 6 times I go through the car wash each week.

Poncherello
10-14-12, 07:26 PM
Got the call yesterday, equipment is in and I'll have it installed on Thursday!

ELUSIVE
10-14-12, 09:38 PM
That thing is so big you'll also probably be able to pick up shuttle conversation and images from Neptune.

Poncherello
10-14-12, 10:46 PM
That thing is so big you'll also probably be able to pick up shuttle conversation and images from Neptune.

The dish is the only thing I don't like about it, I think it looks terrible on the roof. But my corporate fleet customers are going to love it.

Poncherello
10-20-12, 04:13 PM
I had the DirecTV installed yesterday and must say that it operates very well. I have it set to run on each of the rear screens as well as the nav screen. The way it is set up, using the DVD remote I can view either DirecTV or DVD on each screen with one screen playing DVD and one playing DirecTV if I choose. The DirecTV sound only runs through the speakers... it will not run through the head phones. I also installed the video in motion to unlock the nav/phone pad/video on the front screen. All my steering wheel buttons operate as designed.

For $6 a month it's a pretty good deal..... it gets added as another receiver on your existing account. The cost of the equipment and installation was rather high though, $5600 which included the antenna, receiver, video in motion, and installation. The installation was clean and professional. The receiver is hidden behind the rear panel in the cargo area...the IR control for the remote works perfectly from anywhere in the vehicle. The signal does freeze if there are alot of overhanging trees on narrow country roads but does come back quickly. On the open road it works great. My customers should really like this addition! I'll get some pictures in the next day or so.

itsrixter
10-20-12, 07:07 PM
Take a picture from ground level and I dont think it looks that bad.

Does it have DVR?

Poncherello
10-20-12, 10:09 PM
Take a picture from ground level and I dont think it looks that bad.

Does it have DVR?

No, the reciever that comes with the kit is a standard definition receiver with no dvr. I may try to hook up an HD/DVR receiver..... I don't see why it shouldn't work. The picture is very good for being a standard digital picture..... probably because of the 7/9 inch screens.

Regency
10-21-12, 02:25 AM
Need some pics customers will love it... I actually love the way the dish looks on top

Poncherello
10-21-12, 10:56 AM
Here are two quick pictures I took this morning.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh223/poncherello10468/IMG-20121021-00068_zps1dd6fff9.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh223/poncherello10468/IMG-20121021-00067_zps23a89f2b.jpg

It looks ok, but it is big. So far I'm very happy with its performance.

IgotGAME
10-22-12, 12:45 AM
I've almost bought this for my EXT a few times, but a couple of things have held me back besides the cost of it:

1 - I hear it makes some noise while running, is it noticeable? Keep in mind on an EXT it would be almost directly overhead anyone riding in the truck.
2 - I live in the country somewhat with trees and 2 lane roads, I just worry that it won't function 50-60% of the time so I won't be getting the proper use out of it. Does it freeze up if you are on a 2 lane road between woods/trees or just if trees are hanging over the road?

Poncherello
10-22-12, 08:15 AM
I've almost bought this for my EXT a few times, but a couple of things have held me back besides the cost of it:

1 - I hear it makes some noise while running, is it noticeable? Keep in mind on an EXT it would be almost directly overhead anyone riding in the truck.
2 - I live in the country somewhat with trees and 2 lane roads, I just worry that it won't function 50-60% of the time so I won't be getting the proper use out of it. Does it freeze up if you are on a 2 lane road between woods/trees or just if trees are hanging over the road?

Yes it does freeze on narrow country roads with low hanging trees. This will improve as the leaves drop.

There is virtually no noise from the newer A7s. The original antennas made much more noise than the new ones. You can hardly hear it when standing outside the car with the motor off and can't hear it at all inside the car. All in all a good investment but very pricey. My customers rave about it though.

IgotGAME
10-22-12, 05:01 PM
I just noticed you said you paid $5600 for everything...that's really high actually.

You can get brand new tracvision a7 kits off eBay for around $3000 and the place I have all my work done at told me $500 flat fee for install. So $3500 installed...I already had a bypass switch installed which was $200 or so I think.

I am still debating on this.

Poncherello
10-22-12, 05:11 PM
I just noticed you said you paid $5600 for everything...that's really high actually.

You can get brand new tracvision a7 kits off eBay for around $3000 and the place I have all my work done at told me $500 flat fee for install. So $3500 installed...I already had a bypass switch installed which was $200 or so I think.

I am still debating on this.

It is high but when speaking with the installer he said he would install a system that I brought to him but that he would not be able to handle the warranty claims if there was an issue. He agreed that ebay had them cheaper but he said he often ran into problems with those units being broken upon delivery, used, damaged, or missing parts. Being that it's a tax write off for my business I opted to have the system installed knowing it was brand new and that he'd take care of any issues should they arrise. Here's how mine broke down.

$4800: purchase system/roof rack mount with installation
$450: Purchase and install video in motion (unlock nav/phone pad/play DVD while in motion on nav screen)
$350: Wire the tracvision to play on the NAV screen while in motion while allowing other screens to play DVD or Sat at the same time.

I realize I could have saved a few bucks by doing the video in motion myself or wiring the sat to the nav screen but he had the car already so I opted to have him do it all at the same time. He's done a number of NFL players cars and celebrity cars with audio/video systems and his work is flawless. In the end, I paid a bit more for peace of mind.

IgotGAME
10-22-12, 07:25 PM
It is high but when speaking with the installer he said he would install a system that I brought to him but that he would not be able to handle the warranty claims if there was an issue. He agreed that ebay had them cheaper but he said he often ran into problems with those units being broken upon delivery, used, damaged, or missing parts. Being that it's a tax write off for my business I opted to have the system installed knowing it was brand new and that he'd take care of any issues should they arrise. Here's how mine broke down.

$4800: purchase system/roof rack mount with installation
$450: Purchase and install video in motion (unlock nav/phone pad/play DVD while in motion on nav screen)
$350: Wire the tracvision to play on the NAV screen while in motion while allowing other screens to play DVD or Sat at the same time.

I realize I could have saved a few bucks by doing the video in motion myself or wiring the sat to the nav screen but he had the car already so I opted to have him do it all at the same time. He's done a number of NFL players cars and celebrity cars with audio/video systems and his work is flawless. In the end, I paid a bit more for peace of mind.

Yea you have to be careful when buying this online because these dishes can't be tilted more than about a 45 degree angle, without the internal straps in place, or it will ruin the dish. New ones should be shipped on palletts with the straps in place which hold the internals in place during shipment. I can understand you wanting it all done properly and under warranty...that makes sense.

Did they have to drill through your roof or do you know? Were they able to mount it to your existing luggage rack or did they have to mount it straight to the roof with roof mounts?

I just wish I had it in my truck :)

Poncherello
10-22-12, 08:12 PM
Yea you have to be careful when buying this online because these dishes can't be tilted more than about a 45 degree angle, without the internal straps in place, or it will ruin the dish. New ones should be shipped on palletts with the straps in place which hold the internals in place during shipment. I can understand you wanting it all done properly and under warranty...that makes sense.

Did they have to drill through your roof or do you know? Were they able to mount it to your existing luggage rack or did they have to mount it straight to the roof with roof mounts?

I just wish I had it in my truck :)

I bought the kit to mount on the luggage rack because I didn't want any issues when I took it off to sell the truck. The roof was drilled in one spot for the wire to pass through because it couldn't pass through the liftgagte without kinking. The hole that was drilled was sealed on the inside and outside. I went through the car wash two days ago without any issues. The installation was guaranteed to be free of leaks. If it was leaking I would notice it on the headliner right after the car wash.....all is dry.

If I wasn't doing this for my business I'm not sure I would have invested the money simply for the entertainment value...... it's a neat feature that you don't see to often but as I said it's very pricey to have it done the right way. The upside....only $6 month to add the receiver to my existing account and I receive all the channels I do at home, including locals.

Poncherello
10-26-12, 05:23 PM
Update on the noise of the antenna: If I turn the switch on for the system when the truck is off you can hear the antenna rotating initially to grab the signal. Once it grabs the signal it stops and all is quiet. With the motor running you can hardly hear that noise. And when I'm driving with the sound on you can't really hear it at all.

The things I don't like about it: It takes about two minutes for the system to display video once it has captured the signal. It updates the guide data twice...once about 30 seconds after turning on (which results in a useless guide because there is no data) and then again about 5 minutes after turning it on...this guide update takes about 30 seconds and then the video comes back on. For some reason I don't get channel 281 (velocity) in the car but I get it as part of my package at home. Haven't figured that out yet.

SleeperCTSV
10-26-12, 06:32 PM
Very cool! What type of business do you have?

Poncherello
10-26-12, 06:37 PM
Very cool! What type of business do you have?

Corporate transportation, I provide transporation for corporate executives.

jpatt49
10-29-12, 05:13 PM
Velocity is HD only I believe. Nice setup BTW

Poncherello
10-30-12, 08:26 PM
Velocity is HD only I believe. Nice setup BTW
Thanks for the compliment! My clients have provided some positive feedback. Some of my clients are looking forward to traveling on Sundays so they can watch NFL ticket.

Being HD only makes sense.