: Service ride control light

cadtimes
10-06-12, 10:48 PM
I loaded about 300 pounds worth of stereo equipment in the bed of my truck. Before it was even hooked up the guy that drove my truck to the stereo shop said that the service control light came on as soon as he left my house. I didnt find out it was on until my truck got back to my house though.

I am not mechanically savvy so should I take this to a mechanic shop. I have a friend of the family that is a mechanic but I called him up and hes not talking right with me. Seems like hes just not sure where to start. Any ideas or suggestions?

the cadillac man
10-06-12, 11:51 PM
I loaded about 300 pounds worth of stereo equipment in the bed of my truck. Before it was even hooked up the guy that drove my truck to the stereo shop said that the service control light came on as soon as he left my house. I didnt find out it was on until my truck got back to my house though.

I am not mechanically savvy so should I take this to a mechanic shop. I have a friend of the family that is a mechanic but I called him up and hes not talking right with me. Seems like hes just not sure where to start. Any ideas or suggestions?

Sounds like the compressor (you need a tech-2 to get the codes)

cadtimes
10-07-12, 12:16 AM
Is this tech-2 only at the dealership?

the cadillac man
10-07-12, 12:27 AM
Is this tech-2 only at the dealership?

Yep unless you know someone who has one.

cadtimes
10-07-12, 12:36 AM
I know a guy that works on Honda's. He is a mechanic for dealership but has his shop on the side with a meter that reads engine codes. Im not sure if that's the same that is used on Honda's. If his wont work, how much would dealer charge for that?

the cadillac man
10-07-12, 02:38 AM
I know a guy that works on Honda's. He is a mechanic for dealership but has his shop on the side with a meter that reads engine codes. Im not sure if that's the same that is used on Honda's. If his wont work, how much would dealer charge for that?

It shouldn't be much but the one for Honda may or may not work with your truck(if he says it does then it ain't a tech-2 device) just keep in mind gm ain't the only company that uses that tool(I know Chrysler does but the software is different)

Black88GTA
10-07-12, 08:11 PM
Sounds like the compressor (you need a tech-2 to get the codes)

You don't necessarily need a Tech-2. I was able to borrow an Auto Enginuity (http://www.autoenginuity.com/) setup from a friend over the summer after I got my truck, and it told me that I had an "exhaust solenoid failure" in my compressor. I knew it was bad anyway, but that confirmed it beyond any doubt. The system also told me my RF ABS sensor was malfunctioning and that the OEM stereo I installed (but hadn't unlocked yet) was Theftlocked. It also brought up all kinds of old codes that had been stored in the past, and gave me the ability to clear everything. I think the system costs $400 - $500, but you have to pay extra to add functionality for additional manufacturers. Definitely a nice thing to have if you don't mind dropping the $$ on it.

the cadillac man
10-07-12, 09:18 PM
You don't necessarily need a Tech-2. I was able to borrow an Auto Enginuity (http://www.autoenginuity.com/) setup from a friend over the summer after I got my truck, and it told me that I had an "exhaust solenoid failure" in my compressor. I knew it was bad anyway, but that confirmed it beyond any doubt. The system also told me my RF ABS sensor was malfunctioning and that the OEM stereo I installed (but hadn't unlocked yet) was Theftlocked. It also brought up all kinds of old codes that had been stored in the past, and gave me the ability to clear everything. I think the system costs $400 - $500, but you have to pay extra to add functionality for additional manufacturers. Definitely a nice thing to have if you don't mind dropping the $$ on it.

How do you do the theiflock I am getting a nav unit.

Black88GTA
10-07-12, 09:26 PM
How do you do the theiflock I am getting a nav unit.

AE won't unlock it, unfortunately. I got mine unlocked by going to a local dealer around lunchtime and offering them a pizza if they'd unlock it for me. They did it :)

the cadillac man
10-07-12, 10:19 PM
AE won't unlock it, unfortunately. I got mine unlocked by going to a local dealer around lunchtime and offering them a pizza if they'd unlock it for me. They did it :)

I may try that idea when I go (now to find out what the guys like???)

Black88GTA
10-07-12, 11:37 PM
I may try that idea when I go (now to find out what the guys like???)

I went straight from the pizza joint over to the dealership with it in-hand. I just went with a standard pepperoni and cheese, no weird toppings. I think the key is to go just before noon, when everyone's hungry but nobody's eaten yet.

the cadillac man
10-08-12, 02:16 AM
I went straight from the pizza joint over to the dealership with it in-hand. I just went with a standard pepperoni and cheese, no weird toppings. I think the key is to go just before noon, when everyone's hungry but nobody's eaten yet.

I know the service manager (he eats like me pizza,tocos) maybe if I call and ask him if he wants a free lunch of his choice in return for unlocking the radio I might get off on not paying
(I almost got my fuel pump for free because he almost charged it to my uncle(that would have been sweet) but so far every part I have got he has not done me wrong on price(try 20dollars cheaper then auto zone for the fuel pump)

Tx_Lee
10-09-12, 10:17 PM
After you start your engine, listen for the sound of the compressor buzzing in the background for a couple seconds. If you dont hear the sound, then your compressor is not working. I have the exact same message and i know for a fact that my compressor is not working anymore. This could be the issue but it also could be something else.

the cadillac man
10-09-12, 11:56 PM
After you start your engine, listen for the sound of the compressor buzzing in the background for a couple seconds. If you dont hear the sound, then your compressor is not working. I have the exact same message and i know for a fact that my compressor is not working anymore. This could be the issue but it also could be something else.

Mine did this three months before one of my air shock blew out(at 2 in the am talk about being wide awake in a second)

galbach
10-31-12, 07:08 PM
Ok I bought the compressor rebuild kit and reman caddy shocks from arnott...compressor runs no leaks but the SrC light still comes on!! I cleared the codes with a scanner from advance and disconnected the battery as well as removed and checked the bank 1 and RTD fuses... Any Ideas?

the cadillac man
10-31-12, 08:16 PM
Ok I bought the compressor rebuild kit and reman caddy shocks from arnott...compressor runs no leaks but the SrC light still comes on!! I cleared the codes with a scanner from advance and disconnected the battery as well as removed and checked the bank 1 and RTD fuses... Any Ideas?

There is a code in the system and you need a tech-2 to read them a regular code scanner won't read them

galbach
11-01-12, 03:06 PM
I figured it out!!!!! Checked the front ride height sensor and had a broken connecting rod!!! Taped it back together to see if the light went off.. and it did!!!!!!! VICTORY!!