: Possible Convert, Looking for Opinions on CTS-V Options

speedjunkie
10-05-12, 11:19 PM
Hello all. I'm currently a Mustang GT owner with my second kid on the way. I paid off my ride a few months ago and was planning on getting something else for a daily driver so I could keep my Mustang as a toy. But now, I'm thinking of maybe selling the Stang and getting a V. I know there isn't a ton of room in the backs of these things but more so than the Mustang, probably enough to get a carseat in the back and still drive without being hunched over the steering wheel :)

Anyway, I don't know much about the various options in the V's other than the fact that 2009+ was when they started offering the LSA and magnetic ride suspension. I'm definitely interested in all out performance, so are there any specific packages/options that I should be looking for or any differences in model years post 2009 that I should consider? Thanks in advance for your help.

smackdownCTSV
10-05-12, 11:33 PM
There should be plenty of room in the Sedan. If not, look into the Wagon.

1997BlackETC
10-05-12, 11:36 PM
Whereas your going to have two kids you could always get a CTS-V wagon. Keep in mind your going to have to spend at least over 48 grand for a used one, these cars are not cheap. You have to decied whether you want the Recaro seats or not, if your big they may not be very comfortable as they seem to work better for smaller people, but they do offer better support for handling. Most cars have the nav except very few 2009's, it was an option then and then became std. equipment.

Remlap
10-05-12, 11:51 PM
I have two children and have just moved over from a GTO and couldn't be happier. Like someone else mentioned, as long as you are prepared for the cost of the maintenance of the car you will be fine. I have seen a couple of other members of this forum complain that the car cost too much for them (Normal wear parts like tires (2k), brakes and rotors (1k at the most), mpg is very low, etc). So long as you know that upfront and you are honest with yourself as to whether you can afford that or not, I promise you will be flat out amazed by the performance of these cars.

You read about it, you hear it from others, you see the videos online but you never understand it until you drive it and get comfortable with this car. It truly is an amazing machine.

speedjunkie
10-06-12, 12:14 AM
I probably wouldn't go with the wagon and I was looking at the prices for some of the used 2009-2010's and they were 40 or so with not bad mileage. With my trade in I'd be looking at spending less on a used V than a new Lincoln MKZ hybrid. Definitely wouldn't get the gas mileage but then again I'm used to my supercharged V8 mileage right now... doubt it's worse if at all :)

Not too concerned about maintenance either since I've done all my own work on my ride anyway including my supercharger install and tuning. I'm sure there will be a difference in price on parts since Mustang parts grow on trees, but nothing that would break the bank.

I was wondering though, do all the performance options come standard (besides the Recaro's) or are there special packages that get you things like upgraded brakes, tires, suspension, etc.? I went on the Cadillac build and price website to check out the current model and there doesn't seem to be any but not sure if prior model years were the same. And are there any aforementioned component differences between say '09, '10, and '11?

F U FAST
10-06-12, 12:23 AM
Power train and suspension are "standard" across the board on 09+. And by "standard" I mean above most all others out there.....

Mika
10-06-12, 12:45 AM
I went from a '11 GT to an '09 CTS-V. I've had it about a month. My V is an auto, and I have a one year old with a baby seat in the middle. I have zero regrets getting the V. Mileage is rough(14 mpg combined, was getting about 15-16 in the 5.0). Tires will be more expensive. While the Mustang is a great car, I don't see myself going back. As far as options go, the only option you really may want is Recaro's.

FWIW, I found my '09 with 28k on it for a little over $40k. Good luck on your decision, and if you decide to come to the "dark side", congrats :).

Mika

neuronbob
10-06-12, 01:26 AM
I bought my V in part because I wanted a sports car I could put my son in safely. Come on in, the water's fine. My car does family road trips; we just traveled from here to Disney World a couple of months ago. This car does it all from school bus to grocery getting to drag strip, all in the same day. These things are possible, but tougher to do in a 'stang.

larry arizona
10-06-12, 07:47 AM
If you can do your own wrenching costs are minimal. Tires are only expensive if you get PS2's 20kmiles for $2000. But several other options closer to 30k miles for $1000. Plenty of room in sedan (not in the coup) backseat, large trunk too.

Recaros are fantastic too. I am 6-2 240 and after finding your seat set up (14 adjustments, my god you better be able to find a comfy setting) you will never regret getting them. 6A is a little tougher on gas than the 6M. My6M city driving is 16.1 avg for 11k miles. 20+ on the highway so better than any pickup/suv. Only perceived negative is the smallish tank 18 gallons goes pretty quick.......

shchow
10-06-12, 08:31 AM
There's no performance option upgrades.
Get the Recaro's.
Consider NOT getting the sunroof.
Get the suede steering wheel.

What year did they start to offer free maintenance? 2011?

McGuffy
10-06-12, 10:54 AM
Definitely skip the sunroof, especially if you're over 6'2" (though my experience is in the Coupe)

luderchris
10-06-12, 11:30 AM
What year did they start to offer free maintenance? 2011?

Yes.

Trapspeed
10-06-12, 11:50 AM
I've got a car seat, now booster in mine. No issues at all. You'll love it!

simgolfer
10-06-12, 12:27 PM
I have a full size Britax Marathon and a booster seat in the back of my sedan and have lots of space to spare. Rear door cut outs are low however so have to bend down a lot to get my 1 1/2 year old in.

Stillborn
10-06-12, 03:17 PM
getting recaros is an absolute must, (btw they are 16 way adjustable) stay away from the suede steering wheel (wears fast, and will smell over time as all it is is a sweaty palm germ sponge) thats all i have to say about that. good luck and cars dot calm* is a good place to look. ;)

smackdownCTSV
10-06-12, 06:07 PM
Actually, they are 14-way, 8-way adjustable lumbar support and 6-way adjustable seats. ;)

larry arizona
10-06-12, 11:19 PM
as much as I initially did not like the mouse fur steering wheel and shifter, I love it now. Super easy to clean and awesome grip and comfort.

smackdownCTSV
10-06-12, 11:33 PM
What's your cleaning method; dawn and damp towel?

IBMike
10-07-12, 07:32 AM
Great info... as another n00b looking to jump in, I'm looking for all the info I can get. Thanks!

larry arizona
10-07-12, 09:06 AM
What's your cleaning method; dawn and damp towel?

I found some very mild microfiber (alcantara is microfiber) furniture cleaner, with a damp towel. But I also found that a damp towel alone works very well too. My only reservation is most cleaners leave a residue that although you can't see the residue, seems to attract more dirt. Perks up the faux suede and looks like new after it dries.

speedjunkie
10-07-12, 10:44 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. I thought I had made my mind up before but now this is going to be a tough choice... So many plusses if I go with the V...

vagondr
10-07-12, 11:04 AM
Don't worry about wearing out the brakes. Car & Driver drove the V wagon hard for 40K miles and said those huge BBs were good for another 100K. A 6M tranny will save brake pads and gas. On a level highway in 6th at 2000 rpm I manage 23+mpg, with 17+ over all. All depends on driving habits. You're in control. Save some cash and your license.

JFJr
10-07-12, 11:11 AM
Don't worry about wearing out the brakes. Car & Driver drove the V wagon hard for 40K miles and said those huge BBs were good for another 100K. A 6M tranny will save brake pads and gas. On a level highway in 6th at 2000 rpm I manage 23+mpg, with 17+ over all. All depends on driving habits. You're in control. Save some cash and your license.

At 67,000 miles I have plenty of brake pad left and I may not have to replace them while I'm the owner. I use engine braking frequently, so that helps.

Jud

Stillborn
10-07-12, 09:39 PM
Actually, they are 14-way, 8-way adjustable lumbar support and 6-way adjustable seats. ;)

no one ever counts the leg/upper thigh extension pad. in/out = 16. =]~

garfin
10-07-12, 10:42 PM
I found some very mild microfiber (alcantara is microfiber) furniture cleaner, with a damp towel. But I also found that a damp towel alone works very well too. My only reservation is most cleaners leave a residue that although you can't see the residue, seems to attract more dirt. Perks up the faux suede and looks like new after it dries.

I use GM upholstery cleaner (mild foam out of a can) worked in gently with a soft bristle toothbrush to get at the dirt and natural oils - and to bring up the nap. Then I lightly rub a somewhat wetter than damp cloth over the surface to rinse off whatever residue might be left from the foam. Takes about an hour or 2 to dry thoroughly, depending on conditions. Good as new. Bottom line is that whatever method you use, it seems to be a no-brainer to keep the wheel and shift knob clean.

Best regards,

Elie

CTSV12
10-07-12, 11:49 PM
To each his own, but at 6-6 I severely dislike the Recaros. Standard seat is great and maintenance free.

SoCal_V
10-07-12, 11:57 PM
Avoid the sunroof at all costs IMO. Unless you live where it doesn't rain...which I DO, and I still avoided it. Just asking for trouble, plus less head room if you're tall like me.

I like the suede steering wheel wrap. I clean it w/Griot's interior cleaner every few months. Keeps it clean & fresh, not matted down.

Transmission is up to you. I love manual transmissions but couldn't be happier I got the automatic for this car. Easy and faster than the manual. It's a cruiser, not a Z06 for me.

Check out your local stealership before you buy. Spend 30-min researching dealer service experiences on this forum and you may run away crying. There seem to be more clueless ones out there than good ones. Check out your local service dept closely before dropping this type of coin. You don't want your $70k vehicle serviced by clueless morons who spend their entire day screwing up Malibus only to treat your car similarly.

IBMike
10-08-12, 03:33 AM
Don't want to clutter up the board with a new post, so I'll just jump on this band wagon!

Been looking for a new ride for awhile now. I currently drive an 04 Chevy Avalanche, that I plan on keeping... gotta have a truck!

My wife has a 2010 Camaro; "only" has the V6, but it is still fun to drive.

I also like to ride, and my making E9 present to myself was this 09 HD CVO Road Glide!

And because getting dirty is fun too, I also have a BMW 1150 GS Adventure!

So I've been doing some research and think I've fallen in love with the CTS-V. My buddy has a "regular" CTS and loves his. But I want something with a little extra kick. I'm looking to retire from the AF in the next 2-3 years, so this'll be my retirement gift to myself... lol I am currently in Afghanistan, came over for 6 months, but just extended for an additional 6 months. With me not being home spending money, and the additional loot I'm making while here, I'll leave here debt free (well, except for that pesky morgage), so it's time to go big or stay home!

Not a fan of buying new, so I'll be shopping around for something a year or two old. Any major improvements that make a specific model year worth the extra $$? I won't be done here until Jul 13, so won't be buying until then. Plan on doing some test driving when I take my R&R in Feb/March, so I'll know what I'm getting in to and be able to work a deal before I roll out of here. I'm thinking the sedan will round out our "portfolio" nicely, but not opposed to the coupe. Always been "lazy" and went for an auto, but I don't mind driving a stick, so given the small boost in mileage, I may opt to go with the 6M.

Love the look of the black, so that'll most likely be the color.

I'm pretty active in several bike and truck forums; look forward to getting to know y'all!

See you around the board!
Mike

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-09-12, 04:32 PM
speedjunkie & IBMike, I'm excited to read that you're considering Cadillacs! Please feel free to drop me an email anytime if you have further questions while you search. I'm reachable at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com, and I'm also happy to send the build code list and warranty information your way regarding vehicles you're considering.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

IBMike
10-10-12, 12:38 AM
Thanks Katie! :o