: Memories of Mercurys gone by?

orconn
10-05-12, 07:26 PM
Personaly I don't have any, but maybe some of you guys have a fond memory or two.

Submariner409
10-05-12, 07:44 PM
1949 Merc coupe. 1955 - Chopped, channeled, frenched. Fully tricked B-Block flathead with Edelbrock heads and a trip deuce Rochester intake. Fun, expensive, persnickety, ran hot, ran like a scalded cat, cracked 3 cylinder blocks between the center exhaust ports (flathead, guys), DuPont DeepDeepBlack lacquer, 6 coats hand-rubbed with 3 coats of clear lacquer over. Rolled and pleated velour. Baby moons. No B&W Polaroids left.

My Mother's 1964 Mercury Comet 6 station wagon. Lovingly dubbed the "Vomit". White with red plastic.

cadillac kevin
10-05-12, 07:48 PM
My grandma said my grampa picked her up on their first date in an aqua 56 mercury coupe. She also said he got rid of it in short order because it apparently wasn't that reliable. (he owned a rash of cars in the late 50s including an early 50s mercedes full size sedan, a 56 pontiac (which was a lemon), and a 57 MG (one of the first shipment shipped stateside).)

I also forgot the 83 mercury grand marquis sedan my grandparents bought in 86 or so. It was white with red velour interior. The factory sunroof always leaked, and water would collect in the sunroof cover, which would cause it to rain inside when the car was backed out of the driveway. It was traded in in 1988 or so for an olds custom cruiser when the engine had just started having a very faint tick on the bottom end. My grampa filled the engine with STP and played dumb and the dealership happily took it in on trade. After they sold him the olds, they called him into the bay with the mercury on the rack, and asked him if he heard anything. He said nope, and left with his olds.

thebigjimsho
10-05-12, 08:20 PM
What does the Mercury own?

creeker
10-05-12, 08:46 PM

Mercury was a division of ford, My very first car was a 1940 mercury coupe looked like a large 40 ford, I also owned a 47 mercury convertible, all black with
a white top, wide w/w's and baby moons,dual exhausts with smitty's,wish I had that one back, I loved the 56 merc. as well.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-05-12, 09:13 PM
Aside from the Marauder, I have no memories of Mercury products.

truckinman
10-05-12, 09:25 PM
My folks bought a brand new 86 or 87 Cougar. I was just 1 or 2 when they got it but had it until I was 6. I remember how cool I thought that car was. Every option available. I think it even had the auto dimming headlights. For some reason I'm thinking it did. Was that even available on a merc cougar? Lol.

It was dark blue with light grey interior. Btw it was an 86. I just googled it and it was that generation.

drewsdeville
10-06-12, 12:30 AM
Great memories with a '78 50hp Mercury 2 stroke and a Mercruiser 4.3/Alpha

talismandave
10-06-12, 01:13 AM
It appears to own a "gone by" whatever that is?:sneaky:

When I was selling them my buddy and I each had 80 Capri demos. Mine was red met. with silver center panel ans silver hub cap, his was all a very dark blue, almost black. He wanted to swap hub caps to get a little contrast. We tried it and was good enough. Really had to be looking to see they were blue not black.

My memory was a marathon make out session in the hatchback with the seat folded down with a short cute redhead. The next time I showed the car I went to lift carpet to show customer the spare tire and the cover was very crushed. :tisk:

The reason I mentioned the hubcap story, about ten years later I was filling up the family mini van, wife and kids inside and looked at the pump next to mine and saw the blue hubcaps on the red Capri!:histeric:

Stingroo
10-06-12, 01:18 AM

Damn, beat me to it.

orconn
10-06-12, 02:06 PM
An apostrophe "can" and many would say "should" be used when indicating a plural of a noun ending in a letter not usually followed by an "s." Hence the multiple of Lamborghini becomes "Lamborghini's" and Mercury becomes "Mercury's." Those of you who fancy themselves "grammar" police should,learn to read all the way to the bottom of the article, not just the first couple of paragraphs.

brandondeleo
10-06-12, 03:06 PM
An apostrophe "can" and many would say "should" be used when indicating a plural of a noun ending in a letter not usually followed by an "s." Hence the multiple of Lamborghini becomes "Lamborghini's" and Mercury becomes "Mercury's." Those of you who fancy themselves "grammar" police should,learn to read all the way to the bottom of the article, not just the first couple of paragraphs.
I, and I'm pretty sure everyone above, would like to know what you're smoking.

My ex had a '99 Mercury Cougar. It was a raging piece of shit. That is all.

orconn
10-06-12, 03:15 PM
Google "Apostrophe" and read all the way through, your perseverance in doing so may enlighten you.

Submariner409
10-06-12, 03:29 PM
My Mercury's seats were pretty comfortable, but the seats in some other Mercury models were lousy. The P400 Miura Lamborghini's seats were just OK, while other Lamborginis had decent seating.

("Mercury" is a non-count Latin derivative word/noun: It has no plural.)

orconn
10-06-12, 03:41 PM
My Mercury's seats were pretty comfortable, but the seats in some other Mercury models were lousy. The P400 Miura Lamborghini's seats were just OK, while other Lamborginis had decent seating.

("Mercury" is a non-count Latin derivative word/noun: It has no plural.)

Right you are and when a "none count" noun is made plural an apostrophe is used to connote this staus.

Stingroo
10-06-12, 03:49 PM
Not in any textbook I've been handed. :noidea:

As for the topic at hand... the only Mercury that ever passed through our house was a '92 (?) Sable. It was reliable, but not very memorable outside of that fact.

dkozloski
10-06-12, 04:11 PM
Mercury was a Canadian Ford pickup. Across the tailgate it said Mercury instead of Ford. A Canadian Dodge pickup was a Fargo.

Stoneage_Caddy
10-06-12, 05:49 PM
First car i got paid to work on was a 86 Capri 5.0 ...Then when i turned 16 a co worker at sears offered to sell me his 81 capri that had a 351 stuffed under the hood....but it needed a carb....dad said no ...i ended up with a Lebaron GTS turbo that ran on 3 cyl ....hell it was my 600 bucks ...oh well ....

orconn
10-06-12, 05:59 PM
Mercury was a Canadian Ford pickup. Across the tailgate it said Mercury instead of Ford. A Canadian Dodge pickup was a Fargo.

And a Brazilian Mercury is a an Abacachi.

CTS V Tuner
10-06-12, 06:10 PM
My first car was a '67 Mercury Cougar XR-7. It was a 289-4V, C-4 disc brake car with A/C and P/S. I pulled the engine/trans/axle in favor of a late model 5.0L with Trick Flows, an X-Cam, 750 Holley vac-sec on a vintage Shelby high rise, 1-5/8 long tubes with 2-1/2" exhaust. I converted it to a manual trans with a Motorsport T-5, and slid a Versailles 9" with discs under the rear. With 4.11s it ran a 13.2 at 105.

Freakin' Bambi killed my cat. Miss that car at times...

I've had a '79 Capri with an RS body kit, and a couple random passers through that I either parted out or flipped for a buck.

Stoneage_Caddy
10-06-12, 06:18 PM
My first car was a '67 Mercury Cougar XR-7. It was a 289-4V, C-4 disc brake car with A/C and P/S. I pulled the engine/trans/axle in favor of a late model 5.0L with Trick Flows, an X-Cam, 750 Holley vac-sec on a vintage Shelby high rise, 1-5/8 long tubes with 2-1/2" exhaust. I converted it to a manual trans with a Motorsport T-5, and slid a Versailles 9" with discs under the rear. With 4.11s it ran a 13.2 at 105.

Freakin' Bambi killed my cat. Miss that car at times...

I've had a '79 Capri with an RS body kit, and a couple random passers through that I either parted out or flipped for a buck.

kid in my highschool had one ALOT like that ....very quick car , would drag up and down the street every day at 4 .....then one day a dodge omni with 2 girls pulled onto his racetrack not seeing him , he killed them and himself ....couldnt tell the cougar parts from the omni parts

Submariner409
10-06-12, 06:58 PM
I had an absolutely mint Lime Green Metallic/black vinyl top/black interior '67 289 Cougar. Duals, glasspacks, Edelbrock & 4-bbl. Like a damned fool I traded it in on a 1980 Fox-body Mustang mini-V8 (?? 252 ??) auto. Poor, poor move.

orconn
10-06-12, 07:02 PM
Those "new" car itches sometimes lead to disaster ..... witness my Audi 5000S Avant!

Submariner409
10-06-12, 07:16 PM
Yeah - I couldn't bear to go into a turbo 4-cylinder Mustang so I waited until the '83 5.0 GT came out. Got a black 4-speed posi. OK car. The '85 gray replacement GT was also so-so.

basscatt
10-06-12, 07:19 PM
1959 Mercury Colony Park stationwagon - 430CID V8

one of the very unique things about this car was -
there were no window frames -
and no pillars between the front and rear doors -

In '63 we had a 3 week family vacation -
Mom, Dad, 3 sisters, Grandmother, and me -

drove from Chicago to the Mountains of northern California -
Dad built a big 4'X8' luggage rack for the roof - out of plywood -
it actually looked like an upside-down flat-bottom boat - worked GREAT -

I remember flying across the desert in Nevada - going well over 100 MPH -
one of the families favorite cars -
charcoal gray with the wood-grain exterior -
and an ORANGE interior -

we took MANY trips in that car -

orconn
10-06-12, 09:00 PM
Those fifties era station wagons were in a league of their own and the Mercury Colony Park were real standouts!

The frame less door windows and lack of a pillar between the front and back door were part and parcel of the "hardtop convertible" style so prevalent in the late 1960's. Olds, Buick and Chrysler (at least) all had wagon versions of this configuration. I believe these wagons have become quite popular with collectors these days.

Having done a bit touring myself in "hardtops" of this era I can attest to the enjoyable ride they provided ... especially in the days before air conditioning became ubiquitous.

Cadillac Kid03
10-07-12, 03:06 AM
My Fathers 1994 Mercury Cougar not a bad ride. And my Mothers 2000 Mercury Villager Sport Best looking mini van, good motor, lots of room and many many good Memories in it. I remember every Sunday we would take the Villager to see my Grandparents at 3:00PM and when we would leave from there around 11:00PM i would fall asleep in it. And a few other memories but that Villager has never gave us a ounce of trouble.

gdwriter
10-07-12, 04:27 AM
My Mercury memories have to go back 40+ years.

My Dad was career USAF, and as a B-52 crew chief, he had a number of TDYs in the late 60s to Guam during Vietnam. In late 1970, he got orders for a one-year tour in Vietnam, where he mostly worked on the C-47 propaganda planes (i.e., bullish*t bombers) at Da Nang. They decided we should leave Dyess AFB in Texas and return to New Hampshire so my Mom, my sister and I could be near family while Dad was away.

I was only four, but I still remember parts of the drive from Texas to New Hampshire in our '64 Impala, including seeing that long, green hood approaching a massive bridge crossing the Mississippi River. We arrived in New Hampshire in January, 1971, naturally in a snow storm. My uncle was going through a divorce, so he rented out his house to us, at 1 Sherwood Meadows (http://goo.gl/maps/tLhRD), just outside Concord in Pembroke, NH. My step-grandmother had a white 1966 Comet, and I can recall seeing the Comet's taillights as we followed Nana and Grandpa in the blowing snow that night to our new home. She had that Comet for quite a while, and it was eventually traded in on a red '76 Granada.

My maternal grandmother had some nice cars, mostly before my time, including a '57 Bel Air convertible and a '62 Impala convertible, which had unfortunately been totaled. In 1971, she had a dark green '67 Monterrey convertible like this:

http://www.greene-shipman.org/67S55CVFP.jpg

I do remember that Gram's had the spinner hubcaps, and I also remember going to the local Lincoln-Mercury dealership with her to buy a replacement for the front fender louver trim after she had been in a minor collision. Why I remember little details like that I have no idea.

I also recall being afraid to ride in the back seat when the top was down if we were going to our house. There was, what to my five-year-old eyes — a steep hill on U.S. 3 heading into Pembroke, and using five-year-old logic, I thought I might fall out the back seat when the car was going uphill. I'm not sure if I ever did end up riding with the top down on that road.

Jesda
10-07-12, 07:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T3MgIRUwj0

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-07-12, 08:22 AM
When I was a young child, we used to go visit one of my mom's high school friends. Her husband had a mid '80s Cougar and I remember thinking that the rear quarter window was really ugly.

http://www.smog-era.com/images/mercury%20cougar%201983.jpg

Stoneage_Caddy
10-07-12, 11:48 AM
they werent allowed to get a new window for the cougar? so i guess the flipped the turd birds windows and called it good ?

i am a fan of the TRX wheels , they looked cool

cadillac kevin
10-07-12, 02:07 PM
When I was a young child, we used to go visit one of my mom's high school friends. Her husband had a mid '80s Cougar and I remember thinking that the rear quarter window was really ugly.

My dad was on the recieving end of an accident with one of those piloted by an 87 year old lady...they were ugly when new, and they sure are just as ugly 25 years later with a brown fake convertible roof and the side shoved in a foot.

BTW, I found the mid cycle refresh of that cougar to be a fairly attractive car simply because they redid the quarter window treatment to a more traditional style window.

hueterm
10-08-12, 02:05 PM
The '87's window was the same shape, just larger. Agreed, however, that it did look better. When I was in HS, my best friends' mom had two of those...an '85 and an '87. He ruined the first one and rolled the second one. She then ended up w/a Taurus, and he wasn't allowed to drive her car.

I always liked that gen Cougar, however. Preferable to the T-Bird. For the '89 redesign, however, I liked the T-Bird better.