: Whine on 2008 STS V-6

buzz
10-05-12, 11:01 AM
Early this summer, I noticed a whine sound at speeds between 50 & 60 MPH. I have a set of GM shop manuals so I looked through and found one of the likely sources is the transfer case.

About a month ago, I decided to take the car in to my dealer to check into the whine. One of the technicians took a ride with me, and said he could hear the whine; however, he felt they should check the tires first as they need to rule out tires before they did anything else. They found both front tires (Michelin) had tread separation on the inside. It was quite serious, and they basically told me they couldn't let me take the car back onto the road. I looked at the tires and you could easily slip a finger into the crack formed on the passenger side. The driver's side was not as severe; however, it was also split open. I felt the car would need tires sometime this fall, so I purchased a new set of Goodyear Eagle RS-A (I am not a Michelin fan).

The tire problem was serious; but, as I suspected, did not resolve the whine. The following weekend, on my way back home from a meeting in Minneapolis, the engine light on the dash started flashing. It lasted about 2 minutes and stopped, only to repeat the same after a few miles. It did not reappear after this one time.

I had noticed on some occasions when climbing hills, the car would stumble a bit as if the transmission was having trouble downshifting. I call this event "chugging" as there is no other way to describe it. As the whine was still there, and I was sure the problem is in the drive train, I also felt there might be a connection between the whine and the chugging. I made another appointment with the dealer during a time my wife was in New York so I could use her SRX until my car was repaired.

I received a call from the dealer and they advised me the problem was two failed coil packs. They identified this as the problem and confirmed by switching coil packs and rerunning the diagnostics. I agreed to the repair; however, as this is not considered a power train warranty, I paid the $563.

When I picked up the car, I asked if this repair resolved the whine sound. Tim, he service writer agreed to go with me on a test drive to confirm whether the whine was still there. Guess what? It is still whining between 50 & 60 MPH, and this was confirmed by Tim. Fortunately, the chugging is gone and climbing hills is no problem. The car's overall performance is better as well.

So, after $1000 for new tires and alignment, and $563 for two new coil packs, I still have a whine in my 2008 STS V-6. Another service appointment is looming as on November 26, 2012 my GM drive train warranty expires!

truckinman
10-05-12, 11:24 AM
I'd think they should at least check the transfer case fluid just to make sure it hasn't gone down any and/or is filled with metal shavings. Sounds like the wine I get in my jeeps from the transfer Case when in 4 wheel low range. Only in a jeep in low range, that's simply how it is in some jeeps.

And I can't believe what they charged for the two ignition coils. I just replaced one on cylinder 3 on my V6 myself, and it took 20 min. And cost a whopping 70 bucks for the part. Lol

KRSTS
10-05-12, 11:40 AM
AWD? That explains it

dkozloski
10-05-12, 11:54 AM
No whines in my '06 AWD V-8 STS beyond my wife complaining about my driving.

truckinman
10-05-12, 12:06 PM

Don't need AWD for that. I'm living proof!

Ludacrisvp
10-05-12, 05:52 PM

Lol nice.

EChas3
10-05-12, 09:54 PM
As long as you have your complaint on a service order, your warranty should be in force.

Pjazz
10-05-12, 11:37 PM
Did you replace the rear tires also. If not whats there condition?

buzz
10-07-12, 05:54 PM
All four tires were replaced. Only the front tires had tread separation. As I mentioned earlier, tire replacement was already in my plans before the onset of winter; however, as of the last time I had the car in for service (oil change, etc.) the tread depth was still good. When I purchased the car last spring, it had Michelin tires and the tread depth was good. I knew I would be getting rid of the Michelins as soon as the tread was gone, and I thought it would be this fall.

I was shocked and dismayed when I saw the severe tread separation. I really didn't have much choice, so I purchased a new set of Goodyears, and I am happy with these new tires. As I said, I do NOT like Michelin tires! I believe they are grossly overrated. They may have been good back when they first introduced the radial tire; however, they are now resting on this false impression of quality! They advertise this enough and the public buys into it! No matter how much shine you put on a turd, it's still a turd!

KRSTS
10-07-12, 07:07 PM
Like lipstick on a pig LOL

buzz
10-09-12, 08:06 PM
Like lipstick on a pig LOL

Yes, exactly...

buzz
10-11-12, 10:05 PM
I need to address truckinman's comment about the $70 cost for the coils. I am not a DIY'er. It is not because I don't know how to turn a wrench, it's just at my age and position I no longer look forward to this and I can afford to have someone else do the work. I am not foolish with my resources mind you, and if I feel I was scammed, I will raise holy hell with the perpetrator. I have done it before, and I will not hesitate to do it again!

In this case, although I had an idea where the trouble might be, I chose to let a qualified GM service dealer look into the problem. I did pay for a set of tires I was not expecting; however, as I stated, new tires were in the forecast... just not as soon as expected. Also, I thought the chugging was something related to the transmission; however, I was not sure.

The repair was $562, and this included a charge for troubleshooting the problem, plus the charge for actually installing the new coil packs ($210). Maybe this is high; but, I am Ok with it. I was charged $145.20 for each coil ($290 total for genuine GM parts). The additional charges was for sales tax and shop supplies. When I received the call from the dealer as to what they found, I said it is unfortunate I couldn't supply the coil packs myself because my company can purchase virtually any Ford or GM part at cost through either Ford Component Sales (FCS) direct or a supplier of GM and/or Delco genuine parts. To make a long story short, if the circumstances were different, I likely could have purchased the coil packs at dealer cost, or maybe even less! I have done this before when the circumstances were different, and had another qualified technician I trust do the actual repair.

In this case, I was reasonably confident the GM power train warranty would cover the cost of the repair. In other words, if the repair was covered, there would have been zero cost to me. I am still confident the "whine"; the original problem that resulted in a dealer visit, will be covered. Time will tell as although the dealer is aware I will be returning to have this corrected, I have not made the appointment as of today.

Getting back to the charges, I am comfortable with what I paid. It may be more than if I brought the car to an independent and certainly more than if I did the repair myself; however, given I feel there is still something going on with the power train, and the power train is warranted until 100,000 miles or 11/28/2012, I can justify my decision. I have been in the wholesale and retail engine business for some time, and one thing I know for sure, if you are not making money doing what you do, you will not last. I am a survivor!

truckinman
10-12-12, 03:23 AM
I need to address truckinman's comment about the $70 cost for the coils. I am not a DIY'er. It is not because I don't know how to turn a wrench, it's just at my age and position I no longer look forward to this and I can afford to have someone else do the work. I am not foolish with my resources mind you, and if I feel I was scammed, I will raise holy hell with the perpetrator. I have done it before, and I will not hesitate to do it again!

In this case, although I had an idea where the trouble might be, I chose to let a qualified GM service dealer look into the problem. I did pay for a set of tires I was not expecting; however, as I stated, new tires were in the forecast... just not as soon as expected. Also, I thought the chugging was something related to the transmission; however, I was not sure.

The repair was $562, and this included a charge for troubleshooting the problem, plus the charge for actually installing the new coil packs ($210). Maybe this is high; but, I am Ok with it. I was charged $145.20 for each coil ($290 total for genuine GM parts). The additional charges was for sales tax and shop supplies. When I received the call from the dealer as to what they found, I said it is unfortunate I couldn't supply the coil packs myself because my company can purchase virtually any Ford or GM part at cost through either Ford Component Sales (FCS) direct or a supplier of GM and/or Delco genuine parts. To make a long story short, if the circumstances were different, I likely could have purchased the coil packs at dealer cost, or maybe even less! I have done this before when the circumstances were different, and had another qualified technician I trust do the actual repair.

In this case, I was reasonably confident the GM power train warranty would cover the cost of the repair. In other words, if the repair was covered, there would have been zero cost to me. I am still confident the "whine"; the original problem that resulted in a dealer visit, will be covered. Time will tell as although the dealer is aware I will be returning to have this corrected, I have not made the appointment as of today.

Getting back to the charges, I am comfortable with what I paid. It may be more than if I brought the car to an independent and certainly more than if I did the repair myself; however, given I feel there is still something going on with the power train, and the power train is warranted until 100,000 miles or 11/28/2012, I can justify my decision. I have been in the wholesale and retail engine business for some time, and one thing I know for sure, if you are not making money doing what you do, you will not last. I am a survivor!

That's an awful long post to simply address my 70 dollar comment. I wasn't trying to offend you in anyway. I was simply stating it seemed kind of on the high side. I realize, by going thru the dealer, youre buying GM parts so naturally, each part alone would be double what I paid. I mean if you have the money, by all means do what you want with it. I was merely making a comment that could assist you in the future.

I learned a while ago how to work on cars bc I cant trust anybody but myself to work on my cars. This day and age anybody will do anything for a quick buck. Especially a mechanic who assumes his customers don't know jack about working on a car. And I simply enjoy working on them as well. Great stress reliever for me. A good excuse to get together with my buddies, drink a couple beers and get a little greasy.

I'm not sure if your last post addressing me was to defend your actions or not. It's hard to distinguish attitude over a computer screen. So if I took it the wrong way, I apologize myself. But I just thought I ought to explain my position in case my actual message got lost in translation somewhere.

buzz
10-13-12, 09:23 PM
I'm not sure if your last post addressing me was to defend your actions or not. It's hard to distinguish attitude over a computer screen. So if I took it the wrong way, I apologize myself. But I just thought I ought to explain my position in case my actual message got lost in translation somewhere.

Fact is, I was a bit offended; however, I accept and fully understand your apology. I am a very frugal individual, and just because I can afford something, doesn't mean I arbitrarily spend the money foolishly. It is just not in my nature.

The point I was trying to make with the extended reply was supporting qualified service centers. They have a huge investment and are entitled to a fair return. At one time, mostly because I did not have the scratch, I never hesitated to undergo even a significant repair. Today, I no longer enjoy doing the work. Fortunately, I can usually afford to pay someone else, so I take that path. In this situation, I wasn't expecting any charge as I was reasonably sure the problem was covered by the existing GM power train warranty. It wasn't, so I paid the bill.