: Interview with Former Cadillac Chief Designer (1992 Seville/Eldorado)

Syclone478
10-04-12, 09:20 PM
Article link: Design Notes: Interview with Dick Ruzzin (http://autosofinterest.com/2012/10/04/design-notes-interview-with-d-ick-ruzzin/)

Hello everyone, I am new here but wanted to share some information that could be particularly interesting to Cadillac fans. (If admin feels this post could be better located, please feel free to move it.)

I run an automotive blog (Autos of Interest (http://autosofinterest.com/)) and recently had the extraordinary opportunity to interview one of Cadillac's former chief designers, Mr. Ruzzin. (He is responsible for the 1992 Seville/Eldorado projects, amongst many, many more.) The result is four-page post I compiled from the information collected.

I don't want to come across as spamming and I am sharing only because I suspect this could be of great interest to some on this site.

Thank you and I hope you enjoy the article... :)

MoistCabbage
10-04-12, 10:16 PM
:welcome:

Interesting article. A mod will move it to the lounge if they see fit.

Syclone478
10-05-12, 12:58 AM
Hello, thank you for the welcome. :)

CadillacLuke24
10-05-12, 02:40 AM
Thanks for the article. Great read!

:welcome:

vincentm
10-05-12, 02:52 AM
Very very cool. My first Eldo was a forest green 92 TC. Thanks for sharing and welcome :)

ben.gators
10-05-12, 04:07 AM
Dear Mr. Syclone478,

Thanks a lot for this wonderful interview, and thanks for sharing it with us. I enjoyed a lot reading the interview, and learned a lot about the design process of cars I truly love and adore!

If somehow you could get in touch with Mr. Ruzzin again, please send my gratitude to Mr. Ruzzin and his team for the exceptional job they did.

Jesda
10-05-12, 04:11 AM
Great read! I linked it here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jesdacom/180572805312402

Going to spread it around where possible so everyone sees it.

Syclone478
10-05-12, 05:20 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind words and warm welcome. :) In a prior post in which I announced the interview's completion, I had teased some information that wasn't in the article linked above.

Cadillac explored designs from two sources for the 1992 Eldorado, one from their own designers led by Mr. Ruzzin and the other from the world-renowned Italian car designing firm, Pininfarina. It was a competition and the two proposals were to be judged not only by executives but clinics as well. The winning car, the one we see on the roads, was Mr. Ruzzin’s. His team’s entry had beat out the vaunted Pininfarina’s! He described the Pininfarina car as looking “very nice” and “very elegant.” But he also said it looked foreign; whereas Cadillac’s looked very American. (An American look was preferred for Eldorado while Seville was to wear the international clothes.) When I asked Mr. Ruzzin if Pininfarina’s car had been influenced by the Allante, he flatly said no. Then, after a chuckle, he said, “that’s where we got the line on the Eldorado that’s just below the belt. We did it like the Allante.” So there is a little international flair to Eldorado after all!

I already relayed to Mr. Ruzzin the enthusiasm that I see in people about his cars. But I will most certainly do it again (he has agreed to be an ongoing resource for me). At some point, I will be doing a similar interview for the Eldorado. He has an almost paternal fondness for it, and the quote above would explain why.

Anyway, there are some other cool Cadillac-related posts on my blog that could be interesting also. You can just type Cadillac in the search box.

:) Thanks again for making a guy feel welcomed. And thank you very much Jesda for the link. My blog is just over six months old and I'm still trying to get the word out.

ben.gators
10-05-12, 05:49 AM
Cadillac explored designs from two sources for the 1992 Eldorado, one from their own designers led by Mr. Ruzzin and the other from the world-renowned Italian car designing firm, Pininfarina. It was a competition and the two proposals were to be judged not only by executives but clinics as well. The winning car, the one we see on the roads, was Mr. Ruzzin’s. His team’s entry had beat out the vaunted Pininfarina’s! He described the Pininfarina car as looking “very nice” and “very elegant.” But he also said it looked foreign; whereas Cadillac’s looked very American. (An American look was preferred for Eldorado while Seville was to wear the international clothes.) When I asked Mr. Ruzzin if Pininfarina’s car had been influenced by the Allante, he flatly said no. Then, after a chuckle, he said, “that’s where we got the line on the Eldorado that’s just below the belt. We did it like the Allante.” So there is a little international flair to Eldorado after all!

Hum, yes, after you mentioned it, I can see the similarities...
Also you posted a picture of the clay model for Seville, which underwent further modifications. In this picture, I see some similarities to 7th gen Impala or 4th gen Caprice.... For sure Seville has sharper lines, edges, and corners. But this picture suggests me that the initial Seville design might have been evolved from the then-new Impala/Caprice/Roadmaster design. There is a good possibility that Mr. Ruzzin was a part of the team who designed the-then new Impala/Caprice, so they might used some portion of their designs for Impala/Caprice as a starting point for Seville.

http://autosofinterest.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/1992-Cadillac-Seville-styling-clay.jpg

ryannel2003
10-05-12, 12:04 PM
The 4th and 5th Generation Seville's offer up some of the most timeless styling of any car put on the road within the last 30 years. It is only of late that the design has started to look old, but that doesn't take away from the fact they are still beautiful vehicles that helped Cadillac get out of the biggest product slump they ever faced. I truly enjoyed all the time I spent with my STS, a car that will always be one of, if not my favorite car model ever.

vincentm
10-05-12, 02:04 PM
I'll be including this news in the CCC newsletter as well. Need to spread this news around!

orconn
10-05-12, 04:29 PM
I would have to say Mr. Ruzzin and his team certainly succeeded in their objective for the Cadillac division. I for one had deserted Cadillac as a car of choice following the ownership of my 1976 Seville. A series of jaguar XJ6's succeeded that car ...... a situation that continued until the sale of my 1992 Alfa Romeo 164S. Having been tempted many times over to buy a 4th series Seville (Cadillac was big in supporting equestrian events (show jumping, polo and hunter/jumper) in the '90's and usually had a 4th generation Seville on display at the show events. The car was a knockout, attractively different from what the Europeans and Japanese were showing at the time. Somehow "sporty," but at the same time formal enough for a trip to the opera! Very few cars achieve the rare combination and do it at a price that competition horse owners can still afford.

I never did own a new series 4 Seville, but when I tired of my 2002 Mercedes after 2 years of ownership I decided to experiment by buying an 9 year old Seville STS with 58,000 miles on it. I had always had had a hankering to own and use as a daily driver a truly "classic" older car and the Seville filled that desire to a tee. Going on nine years later I still couldn't be happier. The '95 Seville STS fulfills all my aesthetic desires and fills my daily transportation needs, of suburban and interstate driving very well. My wife has a 2002 Seville SLS which is very nice, but when it comes to design can't really touch the Fourth Generation Seville.

Thank you for a great article!

Syclone478
10-08-12, 06:53 PM
Thanks again everyone for all of your kind words. :) They are very encouraging to me

I'm writing again to let you know that Mr. Ruzzin has created an account on my blog and recently answered a question posed in the comments section by another reader. No guarantees on how active he'll be going forward but it shows he's fishing around and reading the stories and comments.

If you'd like to see the post and his comment I am referring to, here's a link: Double Take: 1995 Cadillac Eldorado (http://autosofinterest.com/2012/10/01/double-take-1995-cadillac-eldorado/)

Stoneage_Caddy
10-08-12, 09:22 PM
Thankx from me too ,

and one you prolly wont get here again

THANK YOU for the K car storys, some of us still hold a place in our heart for these Valiant little machines

heh I said Valiant , I'm such a Chrysler nerd