: what is the name of this gear box?

icaddy
10-04-12, 08:05 PM
what is the name of this gear box in the red line? and should I use WD40, engine oil or other lubricant to the gear? Thanks

icaddy
10-04-12, 08:10 PM
Waiting for answer on line...

the cadillac man
10-04-12, 08:41 PM
It looks like the front of the transmisson (best that i can tell from the pic)

jnrsesv
10-04-12, 09:07 PM
Thats your flywheel that the starter motor engages, no oil needed. Behind the flywheel is your torque converter, filled with ATF (automatic transmission oil.

the cadillac man
10-04-12, 09:54 PM
Thats your flywheel that the starter motor engages, no oil needed. Behind the flywheel is your torque converter, filled with ATF (automatic transmission oil.

+1 I knew it didn't need oil (just my mind went blank for the name)

appleroma
10-04-12, 10:01 PM
Yes It's between engine and transmission. I think i spayed a little engine degreaser to the flywheel when I was cleaning oil pan rail. That's why it has a little rust on it. I am curious if I should use WD40 on the wheel?

----------

the teeth look so dry, so that's the way it's supposed to be? Thanks

the cadillac man
10-05-12, 12:14 AM
Yes It's between engine and transmission. I think i spayed a little engine degreaser to the flywheel when I was cleaning oil pan rail. That's why it has a little rust on it. I am curious if I should use WD40 on the wheel?

----------

the teeth look so dry, so that's the way it's supposed to be? Thanks

That's normal there is no need to waste oil because the only thing that it works with besides the crankshaft is the starter(which is only in contact with the flywheel when you start the engine)

The flywheel on most engines(mostly small hobby and mower engine) is out in the open I know I have two hobby grade cars and the flywheel is exposed so don't worry about it man these things are built to last the life of the engine trust me I know

jnrsesv
10-05-12, 06:59 AM
appleroma, why did you have to drop the sump (oil) pan if I may ask?

wesyder
10-05-12, 06:18 PM
what is the name of this gear box in the red line? and should I use WD40, engine oil or other lubricant to the gear? Thanks

Transmission bell housing, no need for lube it will jus give another place for dirt to stick

appleroma
10-05-12, 06:25 PM
because i am changing timing chain on 05 Escalade. The timing chain has been replaced and now I need to put oil pan back.

wesyder
10-05-12, 10:21 PM
because i am changing timing chain on 05 Escalade. The timing chain has been replaced and now I need to put oil pan back.

Did u change the o-ring from the pickup tube to the oil pump

appleroma
10-10-12, 09:54 PM
yes i did change the o ring

wesyder
10-11-12, 10:15 AM
yes i did change the o ring

Cool, don't want you to have issues later