: Bose am radio antenna

wrig456
10-04-12, 03:30 PM
I have a 2001 Seville SLS with a Bose radio. The FM receiver seems to work well, but the AM sounds like there is no antenna. Local stations are very weak and noisey. Can anyone tell me where the AM antenna is and where it hooks into the radio system??

JimD
10-04-12, 05:32 PM
I have a 2001 Seville SLS with a Bose radio. The FM receiver seems to work well, but the AM sounds like there is no antenna. Local stations are very weak and noisey. Can anyone tell me where the AM antenna is and where it hooks into the radio system??
The AM antenna is part of the rear glass. There will be an antenna connection from the glass leading up and under the headliner to an antenna switching module mounted behind the headliner just above the rear glass.

AM reception in modern vehicles is not always great. Part of the problem is the antennas are mounted on the glass and that makes them somewhat directional. External antennas will always provide better AM reception in all directions.

One of the issues with the AM antenna could be agressive cleaning on the inside of the rear glass "might" damage the wire. A careful inspection might reveal the antenna wire is open.

creeker
10-04-12, 08:18 PM
My 97 sts hade good f.m. reception but poor a.m..

wrig456
10-05-12, 10:52 AM
Thanks JimD: I found the connector at the top center of the rear window. I found a 20 foot piece of wire in my scrap box and clipped it to the wire going switching module and WOW my radio went from static to Rush Limbaugh blaring loud and clear. I don't see any breaks in the window antenna BUT the window has window tinting on it and I've heard that if it has a metalic content it can effect the radio reception. Next I will try to remove the tinting without breaking the antenna and see what happens. If that doesn't work I guess Ill have to look into adding a regular external antenna.. Thanks again Doug

BUT when i put the 20 feet of wire looped back and forth in the rear window shelf, it was back to all static again. I'm convinced its the window tinting.

JimD
10-05-12, 05:50 PM
....I'm convinced its the window tinting.
Almost a certainty.

wrig456
10-10-12, 07:30 PM
I removed enough window tinting to uncover the antenna wired and bingo I have AM reception. Once again ignorance and superstition win out over science and education :thumbsup: