: Exhaust cutouts

jc09ctsv
10-04-12, 02:31 PM
Anyone know if exhaust cutouts would add any hp or is it just for the sound??

jc09ctsv
10-04-12, 03:42 PM
And what's a good price installed? Thanks in advance!

Brian in GA
10-04-12, 04:15 PM
Yeah, I'd like to know this too. I was talking about it today over lunch with my younger brother. He has a set on his Camaro SS. He leaves them open all the time. He says there's hum when closed from the exhaust gasses moving past the cutouts themsleves and finds it very annoying.

I'd like to be able to open them up for effect, that of decibel level or performance level depending and have it nice quiet the rest of the time.

Brian

Houdini
10-04-12, 04:17 PM
I believe my qtp qtec66 low pro electric cutouts were around $385ish. I did most of install but you can find a local muffler shop to weld them in for you. Maybe $100-200.

I was not expecting any power gains and put them just in front of mufflers for sound alone; however, with my combination of mods, it made 13 more rwhp with them open. On a stock V it may not make a difference. I love the sound and think it is the best of both worlds for half the price of a full catback system. Loud/nasty when you want and cadillac quiet at the flip of a toggle switch. Some say cutouts will leak over time but mine are fine so far and I'm so glad I went with this option. From what I have read, people are having good luck with the QTP low pro setup. Keep in mind you will get burbles and an occasional pop on decel and mine does a slight one pop between shifts.

Jayfrigginjones
10-04-12, 04:56 PM
From what I've read on here, not really. But the sound is supposed to be fantastic.

If you have the MT, expect pops and gurgles when shifting.

Jay

Trapspeed
10-04-12, 10:09 PM
I had one on my old Camaro and got 22 RWHP when it opened up but I think that was an anomaly.