: Check out my new face first, six cylinder death rocket.

Lupin
10-04-12, 10:25 AM
I have been searching for one of these for years, and this is only the second one I have seen for sale in my area. The first one was a basket case for a grand that I still regret not buying. I found this one out in clermont, in awesome condition, in need of a few things. I originally went to go ride my dream bike, be underwhelmed with it, and happily ride home on my 900. Well, when I got on it to test, and it clicked positively into gear, and I ripped through first, grabbed the clutch, and it snarled, snorted, and screamed like a ferrarri... Well, I had to make a deal.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/264167_10152125205085103_627294034_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/385660_10152125204905103_486826249_n.jpg

Yes, that is an INLINE SIX motorcycle. My motorcycle mentor rode one, and I thought I was hot stuff with my four cylinder, he always reminded me that the CBX was the coolest motorcycle ever made, and I vowed to have one. The CBX came out in 1978 as a supersport bike, after Honda introduced the inline four in 1969, and everyone else copied them, they decided int he late 70's to show the world what they could do, by grafting an extra cylinder on either size of their existing design. This one, a 1982, was originally a sport tourer, with full fairings and saddle bags, was converted in the 1990's for road course racing. The one piece bodywork is custom and weighs almost nothing. In original setup these bikes are worth quite a pretty penny. The owner told me most of the people who were interested in the bike wanted to put the stock stuff back on and re-sell it. He was looking for someone who could enjoy the bike the way it was built. I was very tight on funds and there was no way I could afford his asking price, but when I made the promise "If we come to a deal, I will ride this bike in this livery every friggin' day." He caved in and went way lower than he originally would, with the condition that he gets first dibs if I ever sell it. Guy is really awesome and I keep him updated as to what I am doing to the bike. He also gave me this picture of the original builder road coursing the bike in the 90's.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/314259_10152138888780103_331555908_n.jpg

ShapeShifter
10-04-12, 11:02 AM
That's Sweet! Looks like six into one. Man, what a nice find.

EcSTSatic
10-04-12, 01:24 PM
The CBX was an impressive bike. I have never seen one cafe'd like that before

Koooop
10-04-12, 07:01 PM
The sound the CBX makes is awesome.

Have fun with that toy.

Lupin
10-04-12, 07:01 PM
The CBX was an impressive bike. I have never seen one cafe'd like that before

Oh no please don't call it that... :canttalk: This is not a cafe bike. It's a road course bike. Only Nortons and Triumphs can be cafe racers, the people who do that stuff to old Hondas are just... butchers.

Koooop
10-04-12, 07:10 PM
Dup.

Stoneage_Caddy
10-07-12, 01:33 PM
ok , so you have a straight six in a bike , a flat six in a car

now , go stuff a gnx motor in the elcamino ....then all you need to do is wedge radial 6 in a lawnmower

drewsdeville
10-07-12, 01:41 PM
Na - time for a Detroit 6V. El Camino sounds like a perfect recipient. None of that pu$$y 4 stroke, gasoline powered crap

Stoneage_Caddy
10-07-12, 01:59 PM
dont get me started on 2 stroke detroits ....none of these people know my addiction , ive been in rehab for 3 years now trying to kick the stuff

drewsdeville
10-07-12, 05:40 PM
The sound alone is intoxicating. There were a lot of 2 stroke diesels used in the first half of last century (just look at what powered most large equipment in WWII - and they survived quite a while in the marine world), but just don't hold up to the clean, efficient 4 strokes we have now. But still, they are quite durable, and sound like nothing else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnN1i9LjAw0&feature=g-vrec

He's givin' it hell around the 3:00 mark.

On my bucketlist is my dream to create a competitive pulling truck powered by a 2 stroke Detroit.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-07-12, 06:15 PM
The 2-Stroke Detroit is one of my absolute favorite engines ever created.

Check out this Crackerbox I saw a couple of weekends ago. 1959 GMC w/ 6-71.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YG9yYM7EpI&list=UUk26DPPRCWOl92I3iFQowLQ& index=1&feature=plcp

Stingroo
10-07-12, 06:32 PM
Okay. I have to admit... the one in Drew's video sounds pretty badass....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-07-12, 06:49 PM
Is the 1982 CBX the OP has similar to the current era CBR? Is it a crotch rocket or a bigger, touring bike?

Lupin
10-08-12, 10:14 PM
Holy glorious sports, a two stroke diesel. I don't know how I have never heard of this, but I can tell you I want one so bad right now. Those videos. Utter glory.

Is the 1982 CBX the OP has similar to the current era CBR? Is it a crotch rocket or a bigger, touring bike?

It's a bit of both, actually.

The CBR is most closely related to the CB###F bikes. Inline, transverse, four stroke four. The CBX is, basically, just a big, throbbing, waving phallus created by Honda in the late 70's to show the world what they could do. They basically took the DOHC 750 motor, slapped two extra cylinders on it, and moved all the accessories to the crankcase via a jackshaft. Originally in '78 when it came out it was a Supersport bike, which was basically the equivalent of a sports bike today, but no fairings, and no laying down. However, the brakes of the time weren't enough to stop this 600+ pound behemoth in a sport riding situation, so in 1981, when production was moved to Ohio from Japan, they put saddlebags and a fairing on it and started selling at as a sports touring bike. My particular bike, in 1982, was a sport touring bike, but in the 90's it was re-purposed for road course racing, and it now actually has CBR wheels and brakes. However it is still very comfortable a ride.

ok , so you have a straight six in a bike , a flat six in a car

now , go stuff a gnx motor in the elcamino ....then all you need to do is wedge radial 6 in a lawnmower

Can't, ran out of money replacing all the tips on my six rotor wankel weed-eater.

Stoneage_Caddy
10-08-12, 10:39 PM
you have to be the devil himself , only he could make a six rotor weedeater....but now that i know it exists , i must have one

those 2 stroke diesels are so crazy , when you hear about a 671 blower on someones car, THAT is where the blower came from , a 6v71 2 stroke detriot diesel (6 cyl/ Vee block/71 cubes per cyl). In the Detroit's case though the blower was not a power adder , the Detroit has 4 exhaust valves but no intake valves , so air is forced in by the blower as the Detroit cannot suck the air in by itself . the intake "port" goes all the way around as a "ring" near the top end of the cylinder, close to top dead center .

they were the first "MOD" motor , in the 71 series you could get anything from a 1-71 to a 24v71 a 24v71 was 4 6v71s together ....I saw one 24 on a dyno, it shook the building and you could see the smoke from one mile away
I used to work on them , graduated top of my class on them ....nothing has and never will sound like them
my favorite was the 8v92tta , that's a V8 of 736 cid with twin turbos feeding the "8-71" blower. and since it makes a power stroke every other stroke its like a weak 1472 inch std diesel.

2 main issues with them , first they polluted VERY badly , remember when you were a kid and the bus in front of the family car took off and you choked to death? THAT was most likely a Detroit (prolly in 90% of city busses at the time)

the other issue was where its power lived , most diesels your around 1500 rpm where the power lives , the detroit you had to go clear to 3k.... in a big tractor trailer this was a pain in the arse ...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-08-12, 10:44 PM
I've talked to old truckers about the old 2-Strokes.... one of my favorite quotes "they're a lot like a woman, they'll do nothing but talk around town, but when you get them out in the country, there's no action!"

They were a high RPM (relatively) screamer. They didn't make their power at the bottom end of the RPM curve, but like Mike said, always towards the top. I've seen videos of Caterpillars racing Detroits and the Cats would always get 'em at the lower speeds, but once the speeds increased, the Detroits would pull ahead or pull away...

Another common nickname was "The Rocky Mountain Hummingbird"

Lupin
10-08-12, 11:15 PM
a bunch of awesome stuff about the 6v71

You have just doubled my two stroke "bucket list."

It is now:

Two stroke Saab
Two stroke Cleveland diesel.

But yeah, Iluvcaddys, did you see my response? In short back in 1982 the bike was a sport tourer, here is what it looked like off the showroom.

1978 Supersport CBX:
http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoGallerys/honda-cbx.jpg

1980's Sport Tourer CBX:
http://chudzikj.republika.pl/HondaCBX/Honda-CBX1000F-1982.jpg

and of course my own personal CBX, for comparison:
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/385660_10152125204905103_486826249_n.jpg

I've got the bank of six carburetors off the bike right now, and am cleaning them out. I also washed and re-oiled the K&N Filters, which were heavily soiled, but I used an old trick... Can only get away with this right now while I'm single, hahaha!

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/208084_10152165230675103_1409815405_n.jpg

An interesting thing to note is that the center 2 carburetors share a filter, while the outer 2 each have their own pod. This is K&N's own design, as the carb bank forms a V, so two pods would not fit on #3 and 4. I took the clutch out of the bike tonight with a few friends. This thing is like the size of a miata clutch! Also interestingly, the clutch cover holds the spark distributor as well, driven off a jackshaft, because if they had put the ignition and alternator on the sides of the crankshaft like usual, the engine would be so wide that leaning the bike over would damage them. Three of the clutch plates were blued, and all the friction discs were toast, so I just went ahead and ordered a complete rebuild kit.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-08-12, 11:19 PM
Is the CBX back in the day like the Hayabusa today? Just the most balls to the wall, fastest, most ridiculous bike on the road.

Stoneage_Caddy
10-08-12, 11:20 PM
how are the carbs? i did a zuki 650 a few years ago , they hadnt been off since 1980 all four were in bad shape , and then the damn screws for the diaphragms were rounded out ...took a week to get those four little bastards right again ....6 of them ...i dont think so ....it would have been in the bottom of the gulf of mexico by now

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-09-12, 12:29 AM
This is one of my favorite 2-Stroke Detroit videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVjXwS8HzFw

Lupin
10-09-12, 12:39 AM
Is the CBX back in the day like the Hayabusa today? Just the most balls to the wall, fastest, most ridiculous bike on the road.

There were actually a couple bikes faster than the CBX in its day. However, there was nothing quite like it, or anything that could match the sound. The CBX wasn't THE fastest, but it was close, and it didn't handle very well at all, with its huge engine, but with its incredibly balanced I-6, there is almost no vibration, where as the faster Kawasaki of the time would have your vertebrae damaged, you could go almost as fast on an X, and keep going all day.

how are the carbs? i did a zuki 650 a few years ago , they hadnt been off since 1980 all four were in bad shape , and then the damn screws for the diaphragms were rounded out ...took a week to get those four little bastards right again ....6 of them ...i dont think so ....it would have been in the bottom of the gulf of mexico by now

They seem to have been gone through, previous owner claims rebuild in 2007, and I beleive it. However, someone seems to have used RTV on the float bowls, and a bit of it boogered up and clogged the #6 main jet, causing me to lose a cylinder at speed, but not at idle, as the idle jet was clear. I hate RTV, I avoid it like the plague, ESPECIALLY on motorcycles.

Here is the bank, with the bowls and caps removed. I'm going to polish the float seats and just clean out the passages. Really awesome thing about this bike compared to the four cylinders, is all six carbs share a single CV diaphragm, which is easily accessible. Much better than having to split the bank to check them all like on my CB900. These carbs are jetted just slightly higher than stock (110 vs 105,) to compensate for the pod filters and six into one exhaust.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/425805_10152171207145103_1835409652_n.jpg
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/565040_10152171207380103_284527668_n.jpg

orconn
10-09-12, 01:05 AM
Kind of like the V-16 .... why? Because we can! I enjoyed owning my V-12, but I would never have another one, why bother when a good straight six will get the job done at half the potential expense, granted not as much tread at the water cooler though!

Stoneage_Caddy
10-09-12, 01:11 AM
This is one of my favorite 2-Stroke Detroit videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVjXwS8HzFw
pantera+6v71 SCREAMING...i need a cigarette after that ...good lord he was turning it hard