: Would you buy another sts ?

SHOWGIRL
10-04-12, 03:36 AM
Hello - Any late-model STS owners out there ? would you buy the car again now that you have it ? we're looking at an '11 V6...we currently drive a '10 DTS -not thrilled with FWD after years of only knowing RWD's....that would be main reason for going with a STS.... would 'power' be compromised due to the V6 on the STS? (no N.S.'s available). Any idea why the STS has 17'' wheels and not a 'sporty-looking' 18'' ?
Thanks in advance for any feedback ...much appreciated. SG
PS: ...if this fact is any help with an opinion here's a bit of DH's driving history: always RWD Buicks/2000 BMW 740iL/2010 CTS(had to trade it in)/ and currently...'10 DTS premium (first FWD & he doesn't like the 'steering'. :)

truckinman
10-04-12, 03:54 AM
I'd buy another. I love mine. I've got an 05 V6 STS. If you bought an 11, it'd have more power than mine tho bc of the direct injection (D.I.). It would have right around 300 hp. I believe 303 to be exact. But going from a V8 to the V6, torque is what's going to be compromised the most. But I'd take the STS over a front wheel drive DTS mainly for that reason alone.

C&C
10-04-12, 06:22 AM
"Would you buy another sts ?"

I did; my first ever Caddy was a CPO '06 STS (loved that car). This February I saw another CPO on my dealer's webpage, and as my '06's warranty was getting close to expire (the '06 did need dealer fixes through my years with it), the '11 (white diamond) called out to me. It had the DI engine and the six speed ('06 had the v-6 too, non DI with the five speed) and this one (the '11) is even better.

burkewm
10-04-12, 09:00 AM
My '09 is awesome. Love the extra power... have never driven the previous engine, but have driven cars with similar engine ratings to the pre-DI, and this one is noticably better in the performance category! Would definitely buy another one in a few years if they still made it and I wasn't upgrading to a V...
:thumbsup:

SHOWGIRL
10-04-12, 09:24 AM
"Would you buy another sts ?"

I did; my first ever Caddy was a CPO '06 STS (loved that car). This February I saw another CPO on my dealer's webpage, and as my '06's warranty was getting close to expire (the '06 did need dealer fixes through my years with it), the '11 (white diamond) called out to me. It had the DI engine and the six speed ('06 had the v-6 too, non DI with the five speed) and this one (the '11) is even better.
---------------------------
many thanks for the above ! .PS: ...if this fact is any help with an opinion here's a bit of DH's driving history: always RWD Buicks/2000 BMW 740iL/2010 CTS(had to trade it in)/ and currently...'10 DTS premium (first FWD & he doesn't like the 'steering'. :)

KRSTS
10-04-12, 10:04 AM
2008 V6 DI. In a heartbeat

SHOWGIRL
10-04-12, 04:50 PM
thanks to those who replied to my post ... didnt' even get the chance to try the STS ...was going to try it today - suddenly ''it's gone' .. oh well...guess with 13 K (2011) that's to be expected.... have no specs to know what level i.e. F1-2-3 ...have a vin but that's all ... thanks again - SHOWGIRL

EChas3
10-04-12, 08:45 PM
A 2008 or 2009 1SG is a very real possibility for me. 2010's still were available with V8's but no Rainsense wipers:( No V8's in 2011:(

ddalder
10-05-12, 12:49 AM
I really like my STS, but I'm not sure if I'd buy another one or not. There is a lot more to consider than just RWD and the engine. These cars have a fairly long list of common, yet expensive to repair problems. I'd never consider another one without buying an extended warranty along with it.

orange57
10-05-12, 02:16 AM
I would definitely purchase another. I have an 05 Base model with the Northstar. I would do the N* again, but would want some of the fancier options. Overall, I'm very pleased with the car.

carter's_sts
10-05-12, 03:22 AM
I did already. I bought a low mileage V. Fantastic car. Too bad they hardly sold any, but also cool to have a rare car.

SHOWGIRL
10-05-12, 08:50 AM
I really like my STS, but I'm not sure if I'd buy another one or not. There is a lot more to consider than just RWD and the engine. These cars have a fairly long list of common, yet expensive to repair problems. I'd never consider another one without buying an extended warranty along with it.
--------------------------
you make a good point about RWD solving all driving problems ....
didn't realize the STS had repair problems ...maybe it's just as well we lost-out on the '11 with only 13k we were going to see & that it gold sold out before we could do that ..... thanks so much !!!

buzz
10-05-12, 12:14 PM
I traded my 03 Seville STS for the 2008 AWD V-6. Better performance, much better gas mileage, and better looking is basic. However, this 2008 STS has not been without its problems! If I were you, I would choose AWD if you live in the snow belt and certainly consider one still covered by warranty or a service contract.

SHOWGIRL
10-05-12, 01:31 PM
I traded my 03 Seville STS for the 2008 AWD V-6. Better performance, much better gas mileage, and better looking is basic. However, this 2008 STS has not been without its problems! If I were you, I would choose AWD if you live in the snow belt and certainly consider one still covered by warranty or a service contract.
---------------------------------------------
the STS '11 got sold yesterday before we even had a chance to see it .....i think it was a 1SG ... not sure of equipment but it was a V6....thanks for offering to help tho. :)

caddyfat2
10-05-12, 02:33 PM
Same here but I don't think I'll be buying another one. I purchased mines with 22k miles on it in 2008 and it's been nothing but a cash cow since. Lucky for me I purchased and extended warranty that picked up all the repairs but dumping over $9000 in it was ridiculous.

SHOWGIRL
10-05-12, 05:58 PM
Same here but I don't think I'll be buying another one. I purchased mines with 22k miles on it in 2008 and it's been nothing but a cash cow since. Lucky for me I purchased and extended warranty that picked up all the repairs but dumping over $9000 in it was ridiculous.
------------------------
wow that's too bad and disappointing ...maybe it's not such a good idea for us to try and find a resale after all ... even 'with' a warranty ....
hope things work out for you in the future .... thanks again - showgirl

----------

------------------------
wow that's too bad and disappointing ...maybe it's not such a good idea to try and find a resale after all ... even 'with' a warranty ....
hope things work out for you in the future .... thanks again - showgirl

dkozloski
10-05-12, 06:16 PM
I won't buy another STS until they put a V8 in it and put it back in production.

Ludacrisvp
10-05-12, 06:55 PM
I won't buy another STS until they put a V8 in it and put it back in production.

I'd rather see the SLS done up in AWD (optional) with a V8 made available here. (bringing with it the afl hids and other nice features)

EChas3
10-05-12, 10:45 PM
...[t]he STS '11 got sold yesterday before we even had a chance to see it .....i think it was a 1SG ... not sure of equipment but it was a V6....

2011 STS's top trim level was 1SC. If it had 235/50R17's on all four corners, it was a lower trim level. I wouldn't be discouraged if you do really like the STS. They are usually a good value when compared to comparably-equipped cars. But if you aren't all that attracted to them, that's OK. Keep looking.

Life is too short to drive a car you don't enjoy.

SHOWGIRL
10-06-12, 11:06 AM
2011 STS's top trim level was 1SC. If it had 235/50R17's on all four corners, it was a lower trim level. I wouldn't be discouraged if you do really like the STS. They are usually a good value when compared to comparably-equipped cars. But if you aren't all that attracted to them, that's OK. Keep looking.
Life is too short to drive a car you don't enjoy.
---------------------------------
don't know the wheel size - wasn't listed & we never got to see it ...there 'was' a spoiler -the wheels looked upgraded in the px (lug nugs in the center near the crest & polished alum or so it appeared)..i did see px of others with a less 'decorative' rim but that's all i know. We've never even driven one ..but did hear it's 'short' on trunk space that DH would want however in the past, he's only driven RWD and the STS 'is' that....currently in a '10 DTS without MRC and first-time experience with a FWD ...he's not happy with the highway/curves handling -too much 'torque-pull' ...he feels he's 'fighting the wheel' ... assumes going back to RWD is the 'answer'.
But Caddy currently only offers 2 models with RWD's: CTS -great car-horrible seats; ATS...too small (for our needs). Was thinking of trying the XTS because of the new front-designed struts that allegedly cut-down on torque pull ... remains to be seen ...outside of 'that' option next stop is a 5-series BMW (RWD)...doubt we'll find another late model STS with low mileage... thanks so much for your help !!! Showgirl...

buzz
10-07-12, 06:42 PM
It is somewhat a moot point as the STS is no longer in production; however, I can honestly say I would certainly purchase another Cadillac. Over my lifetime, I owned a variety of cars, including 6 Cadillacs ( 1980 DeVille, 1998 Seville SLS, 2003 Seville STS, 2006 SRX, 2008 STS, and 2008 SRX). All these cars were either purchased off lease or used and I cannot say I am disappointed with any of them. Keep in mind, when you purchase a highly sophisticated car, you are going to see more potential for problems over the life of the car. This should be offset by the enjoyment of driving something much better than the average Chev or Ford!

In the past, when my career was at it's peak, I purchased (or leased) many new cars. Many were Fords, some were Buicks, a few were Oldsmobiles, one was a Lincoln, and two were Volvos. I can honestly say, the Cadillacs, whether nearly new or older, gave some of the greatest pleasure. You notice there are NO Japanese brands listed and there never will be!

SHOWGIRL
10-07-12, 06:56 PM
[QUOTE=buzz;3108402]It is somewhat a moot point as the STS is no longer in production;
---------------------
oh yes, i realize that fact but i meant if one is considering a low-mileage '11 ''resale'' and i should have made that point clear -sorry - LOL ....did you like the STS enough to buy it 'if' you were in the market for a 'resale' ... many thanks ! :)

buzz
10-07-12, 07:10 PM
I had been looking for a replacement for my 2003 for a couple of months. It was going to need significant suspension repairs (Magnetic Ride Control) and it would be expensive. I looked at an '06 a couple of years ago, and wasn't impressed. A used 2009 appeared with a competitive price, so I went to the dealer to take a look. It was already sold, so I sort of left with my tail between my legs.

When this 2008 appeared, it had more miles than I wanted; however, the price was fair and the 2008 thru 2012 are basically identical. I looked at the car, made an offer to the dealer, and they accepted my offer. It was not perfect (my 2003 was when I purchased it); however, I thought it was worth a chance, given the price was right! It's sort of the "you can pay me now, or you can pay me later" situation. With the price paid, I felt I could afford to pay a bit to get the car perfect. So far, so good (although I have sunk $563 I wasn't expecting).

Lifer
10-09-12, 06:30 PM

I feel your pain. and my 06 STS, purchased new, is still the best car - and Cadillac, I have ever owned. Almost 70,000 miles and it gets better every day.

malatu
10-10-12, 02:44 PM
I'd purchase another STS in a heart-beat! I like driving my 2006 STS-4 very, very much! Though, I'm glad I purchased one with the Cadillac dealership that was a CPO.

I don't think I'll every buy a car that isn't a CPO whether it's a Cadillac or not.

EChas3
10-10-12, 03:20 PM
CPO does provide new-car confidence.

malatu
10-10-12, 03:55 PM
Yes it does ... and relatively speaking, not at a great cost.

Charles Warren
10-10-12, 11:24 PM
I would but a v. I like sts just because its different and can hold its own

02603sec
10-11-12, 12:43 AM
I still have my black raven 1sf v8 in the driveway. Love the car.. hate to part with it but not yet. I went to bmw for the v8 and rwd. Just picked up a used awd subaru legacy gt for nothing off ebay. Im in disbelief of the high quality. I would consider another caddy in the future, but their lineup sucks.. Theres a lot of competition..and the politics turn my stomach.

cjmeyer
10-14-12, 09:33 PM
Watch the Carfax on 11's.A lot were put into rental service and may have led hard lives!

EChas3
10-14-12, 11:11 PM
The N* thrives on punishment. My wife's spent a year as a Hertz and 50,000 miles later, the engine has been trouble-free. Too bad they weren't available past 2010. It did need control arms.

Even today, has GM fixed the 3.6 V6 timing chain design or the oil foaming tendancy?

curtc
10-15-12, 12:05 AM
Even today, has GM fixed the 3.6 V6 timing chain design or the oil foaming tendancy?

Nope, bandaids like an oil life reprogram and extended warranty coverage on the chain, lame...

Main reason I ditched my CTS...

N* FTW!

EChas3
10-15-12, 12:13 AM
Isn't the same 3.6 all over the other lines; XTS, CTS, Camaro etc?

curtc
10-15-12, 01:24 AM
Isn't the same 3.6 all over the other lines; XTS, CTS, Camaro etc?

As far as I know, LY7 from 04-07, LLT DI from 08-present...Timing chain issue is present in both variations.

TimmyC
10-29-12, 07:32 PM
I've owned two. An 06 AWD 1SG and my current 07 V. I haven't had many problems at all with either one. I think I had a wheel bearing on the AWD car and the opener switch on the trunk lid never worked. There was a check engine light issue I had that a couple other 05-06 V8 people had and the front door handles had to be replaced but that's it. I put 20k on that one and 20k on the V. The water pump puked on the V a couple weeks ago but that's it there. $60 and an hour later that was fixed. Not too bad for 40k miles between the two.

The AWD was nice but the mileage with the V8 sucked. My V does better even with nearly double the horsepower.

PzNuts
10-31-12, 11:32 AM
I would, but only if it has N*. This V-6 is ok but would prefer the V-8.

crazyc
11-01-12, 08:29 PM
I probally won't buy another one they r nice cars but iv just had 2 much trouble with the 1 I own now

----------

I didn't know sts had a v6

DG2
11-02-12, 01:00 AM
I would for sure. Had my V8 1SG AWD for just about 8 years now and after 180,000 miles the STS looks and runs great. If Cadillac still was making the STS I would buy another. However , now I will either get the new 2014 CTS or XTS
Going wait and see what the new CTSlooks like

For anyone thinking about a used STS I highly recommend ! :)

Ludacrisvp
11-02-12, 12:16 PM
I probally won't buy another one they r nice cars but iv just had 2 much trouble with the 1 I own now

----------

I didn't know sts had a v6

The 1995 Seville STS that you have cannot really be compared to the STS of 05+. The Seville was plagued with issues until about 2000 when it started getting a Lot better. The V6 was a 2005+ option. Our cars are RWD or AWD compared to the Seville being FWD only.

02603sec
11-12-12, 10:38 AM
love the car. I would pass on the base model w/o a v8. I would also pass on the bc/cc ebony black. My definite recommendation is to go with a pearl. More expensive in every way, but holds up better on many levels.

EChas3
11-12-12, 08:14 PM
Opinions vary! :)

BucShot
11-22-12, 02:08 AM
Yes!!!

truckinman
11-22-12, 11:10 AM
love the car. I would pass on the base model w/o a v8. I would also pass on the bc/cc ebony black. My definite recommendation is to go with a pearl. More expensive in every way, but holds up better on many levels.

Good thing about the base model is less stuff to go wrong. I like my base STS. Sometimes I wish I got one with GPS. Mainly so I could have that 15 speaker Bose instead of the standard 8 speaker Bose. But still sounds great. I'm just picky about sound quality for music. My parents have a 5.1 Dolby surround JBL Synthesis in their Avalon limited and I really like that true surround sound feel in the car.

But other than that, I've got zero complaints bout my base model. Still has more toys than a fully optioned impala or Camry of the same year, is the way I look at it

mckellyb
11-22-12, 12:21 PM
To be honest? No.

Don't get me wrong, I like it...I like it a lot, but it's not "me".

I could not find either a 1995 or 1996 Fleetwood Brougham with low miles and not donked near me as a replacement for my '95 W124 Mercedes. The other choice, which was ahead of even the Fleetwood, was a 2006 or newer Jaaaaag XJ SuperV8. Those vehicles are downright amazing, and after Ford bought them, reliability is quite strong.

I did find this, local to me, and I think I'm going to have to go take a look at it next weekend. Her late husband was the only owner, but he passed six years ago, and she feels guilty leaving it outside (two car garage)

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/3367680366.html

06 STS Rob
11-23-12, 01:59 AM
I would.
I picked up my 06 with the premium/sport package and have been happy with just about everything. The 255hp v-6 is enough to hold it's own against most cars it's age, the leather is holding up well, the nav and stereo still tip top, and the power features all work fine.
Down sides are... Dash has cracked in 3 places even though I put the sun shade up EVERY time I park it outside. Wheel bearings went out at 40k ( took it to the dealer and paid $1100 just to find them on e-bay for around $250, I pulled the wheels off to see just how hard they were to replace and could have easily done them in about an hour per side), and the driver seat bolts get loose every now and then. A quick torque fixes that in 2 minutes.
I still look for V's on the market. If I find one that's reasonable, I will certainly buy it.

cjmeyer
12-08-12, 05:44 PM
If the price is right I would get another one.Ride is decent but I miss the room of my Deville.Maybe we should switch rides.The DTS would be right down my alley.LOL

neverlateSTS
12-10-12, 09:50 PM
I would buy another one in a heart beat i have a 2007 awd and it has had some common issues but the dealer i go to in Clearwater Fl. has been so good about taking care of them I am considering an additional purchase from them. This car has some expensive parts but I had a C5 Corvette that racked up more repairs.An extended warranty is a wise investment on any high end vehicle if you plan on keeping it.Where else can you look so good in a 4000 pound sedan.

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-11-12, 03:38 PM
Glad to hear that you have such a great dealership to take care of you, neverlateSTS! If you have any questions about any vehicles you're considering for the future, let us know as we're happy to help as much as we can.

Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service