: Strange noise - please advise

quikag
10-03-12, 03:07 PM
So, my '12 V sedan has been making a strange noise. I hear it at speed and it sounds like the faint sound of a fan noise coming from the rear of the car. I can hear it more clearly with the windows down and I drive by something that echos the sound back to me (walls, trees, etc) so it can be heard outside the car. With the windows closed, it just sound like a fan type noise from the rear and almost sounds like wind noise. What's odd is the sound doesn't increase with speed. It's not the transmission as upshifting or downshifting manually or putting it in neutral doesn't do anything. It's not the A/C as I've turned that off and it doesn't change the noise. Same with the seat A/C, etc. Not radio as I've turned that off. Sound becomes noticeable around 30mph and stays fairly constant all the way to 100+.

I'd think it was the diff, but it's not a whine noise and the sound doesn't increase with speed or change pitch or tone. It's a very odd noise, but fairly subtle. I only notice it when I have the radio off and I'm just driving down the road.

Anyway, it's a bit annoying and I'm really just curious what it might be?

allinmyhead
10-04-12, 01:41 PM
It's the diff ... I just went through this, my left rear carrier bearing had failed. Didn't sound like a whining noise at all; sounded like an off balance ceiling fan off throttle and a rumble like big knobby off-road tires on throttle.

Either that of you've left your seat cooling on. :)

aroptical
10-04-12, 02:26 PM
^ Agree. I just had my dealer replace the rear differential this week for the same noise and it took care of it. It only took them two days. The car
only had about 14,000 miles on it when it started. I hope this is not a recurring problem.

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-04-12, 03:24 PM
Quikag, please let me know if you decide to take your V to the dealer for a diagnosis. My email is Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com, and I'm also happy to check for recalls if you send me the last eight of your VIN.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service