: Looking for 2005 or new STS...What to look for in a good used STS ? Are they reliable

blueflash
10-03-12, 03:26 PM
Hi, I am in the market for a new car. Myself and my wife both really like the looks of the newer cadillac STS (05 +). I have owned front wheel drive Cadillac's in the past (1998 STS), and they were not that reliable. I have been told that the new rear wheel drive Cadillac's are much more reliable, and the redesigned Northstar V-8 does'nt have the head gasket issues, like my old '98 STS did.

I was wondering if the new rear wheel drive Cadillac's have a better reputation for being reliable, in general ? Is there any well know, common expensive problems, like the older Caddy's had with the head gasket issues ? Is there any pointers, for what to look out for, when looking for specific problems ?

Also, so long as I don't get my mind changed due to reliability problems, I am looking for a 05 or newer STS with the Northstar V8. I have test driven a couple of them, and fell in love with the comfortable ride, smooth power, and overall appearance. My wife is demanding that we buy a used STS with the Navigation/DVD player up front, but other than that, I really am not sure about what features or packages would be best to try to find or avoid ?

I would like to find one with the Navigation/DVD & heated/air conditioned front seats....Is there a luxury or premium package that would include both of those options ? and if so, what would it be called, just so I know what to ask over the phone, before I waste my time driving to the used STS, only to find out it does'nt have the features I'm looking for....Also, if a STS had the Navigation/DVD & heated/cooled front seats, what other options would it likely have with it ? I am assuming there is a option package that includes both of those, plus another dozen options all bundled up ?

Finally, what year & options are the most desireable, in terms of reliability, performance, and nice features ? My price range is in the $10,000 to $15,000 range, but if I came accross a particularly low mileage STS, I would go over budget if its worth it. From what I have been looking at, in my area (Southern Ontario, Canada), my price range will get me a 2005-2009 STS with approx 60,000 miles - 100,000 miles on the odometer (100,000-160,000 kms)..The Northstar V-8 seems to be only a thousand dollars more money over the V-6's that I have looked at, and since there is plenty nice V-8's used for sale, I have only been looking at those and avoiding the V-6's. I realize the V-6 runs on regular fuel, and is more than adequate in terms of performance, but I want the V-8 for a little more fun, and performance..

EChas3
10-03-12, 08:57 PM
The RWD Northstar does not have the HG problem. It is a great car for the money but with as many high-end features as it has, repairs can be expensive. Still, it won't cost you as much as a German car. I strongly recommend an extended warranty.

1SG is the highest trim level. There are many threads about pros and cons of differently equipped 2005 & up STS. Surf & search the forum and test drive a few different models before buying (or falling in love). Wait for the one equipped to your preference because upgrades really aren't practical. (They may be possible but even DD admits theyare spendy.)

Take your time & have fun!

blueflash
10-03-12, 11:30 PM
Thanks. I have been doing quite a bit of research on here, and I have gotten a pretty good idea of what to look for.

Would it be safe to say, that if I found a well taken care of STS with 60,000 - 80,000 miles on it, then if it ever had the common problem of a leaking rear diff, then problems like that should be already dealt with...assuming its not leaking ? I have read about the transmission could need a computer update, if its a V-6 awd, but I'm looking for a V-8 rwd, so that should'nt be a problem.

I know any luxury car won't be cheap when fixing gizmos, but from what I have read so far, the 05 + sts is built much better than the older fwd cars. I don't really want to get into a car with a bad history of $5000 engine repairs, like my old sts.

EChas3
10-04-12, 01:12 AM
Personally, I'd never buy a V6. But it might be your preference.

No offense intended but they have oiling & cam chain issues. Besides, INHO, they're lame.

Diff's aren't a common issue. I've resisted TCM reflash because I love the way my transmission holds a gear (in lock-up) so much like I do myself in my 'stick' cars.

Some forum members report high mileage from both engines. I like the security offered by warranties. If you choose otherwise, set some bucks aside because you will have some expenses.

truckinman
10-04-12, 04:10 AM
I really like my V6. It's an 05. It does burn a little oil but honestly not much. At least not as much as some people say their V6 does. I bought mine back in April. I've put 10k miles on it already. Considering I'm a truck driver who's only home on weekends, that's a lot. Lol. I've had to replace an ignition coil for cylinder 3 so far. That's it tho. Was an easy cheap 20 min job.

jdelp
10-04-12, 02:01 PM
I would echo the comments about getting an extended warranty (or putting back money for repairs) with whatever you end up going with. I just bought mine (83k Miles) with an extended warranty and I have a couple of the MRC Struts leaking - that will cover the cost of my warranty right there...from my research on here it looks like I am right on schedule for the struts going, if they are going to go - around 80k miles (+)(-) seems to be the time.

Mine has all the options you've mentioned wanting and I do love them - you will too, but the inevitable repair costs, while not up to Germany $$ are still going to be high.

Take your time and the 'right' one will appear!

Good Luck!!!

ben.gators
10-08-12, 08:04 AM
This is another Seville owner who is looking for advice on newer models! i hope OP doesn't mind I am posting in his thread too....

I would echo the comments about getting an extended warranty (or putting back money for repairs) with whatever you end up going with. I just bought mine (83k Miles) with an extended warranty and I have a couple of the MRC Struts leaking - that will cover the cost of my warranty right there...from my research on here it looks like I am right on schedule for the struts going, if they are going to go - around 80k miles (+)(-) seems to be the time.

Mine has all the options you've mentioned wanting and I do love them - you will too, but the inevitable repair costs, while not up to Germany $$ are still going to be high.

Take your time and the 'right' one will appear!

Good Luck!!!
Thanks for the advice, two questions! What type of warranty you have purchased? The extended warranty provided by the Cadillac itself, or an aftermarket warranty? I think by now 2005-2007 year models have gone out of warranty, so we can not buy extended warranty from the manufacture any more. Also I haven't heard very good things about aftermarket warranties...

The second question is about MRC struts and shucks. You said the warranty covers them? This is wonderful if they do, because struts and shocks are normally considered as wear and tear items, just like brake pads, and they are not covered by warranty.

curtc
10-08-12, 08:50 PM
Depends on the warranty and how much you're willing to lay down for it, most companies have tiers to choose from. I bought my 06 with 71k from a Ford dealer, got a 3 yr./36k warranty from Ford...Covers what is on the list, 83 main components...In 13k I've replaced both rear axle seals, rear pinion, water pump, and the starter under warranty, roughly $1,600 worth. Recently had a motor mount replaced out of warranty for $450.

So there's a maintenance example, roughly $2k from 71k to 84k, in 5 months. Get a warranty...

jdelp
10-15-12, 01:46 PM
My warranty was a third party (GWC) through the non-Cadillac dealer I got the car from and since it was at 83k miles - they had to get an exception from some 'regional manager' for the car to be covered. As curtc mentioned, most warranties have tiers - I got one of the 'upper tiers' which had the "technology package" which included electronic struts, among other high $$ computer parts, etc. I get what you're saying about the struts being a "wearable" part but I think since they are MRC and tied into the computer system it covers them. All of that being said, I think I got very lucky with them approving the vehicle - once you're north of 70-80k the aftermarket warranty companies steer clear...

hope that helps.