: 2006 Cad. Problems w/thermostat ??...Car indicating Cold on gage...

Aurora5000
10-03-12, 03:13 PM
In the last 6 months, my Hot-Cold indicator shows my car getting warm and then goes to cold. The needle has sat in the past right under half way for as long as I owned the car (6 years, 56K). It usually acts up when I go to work early in the morning, 15 mile drive. Going home in aft. it does not act up. No waterleaks that I see. Water pump?

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve :confused:

EChas3
10-03-12, 08:46 PM
As long as you're sure about full coolent and no air bubbles, some temp sensors will fail as you describe.

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-03-12, 11:00 PM
In the last 6 months, my Hot-Cold indicator shows my car getting warm and then goes to cold. The needle has sat in the past right under half way for as long as I owned the car (6 years, 56K). It usually acts up when I go to work early in the morning, 15 mile drive. Going home in aft. it does not act up. No waterleaks that I see. Water pump?

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve :confused:

Are the fans both working properly?

Aurora5000
10-07-12, 12:28 PM
Funny you mention the fans. When I get out at work (15 miles) Fans are going full blast and temp gage is on cold. Where are the sensors and how hard are they to replace? 1SE cad. Will check for bubbles. Drive home and check. Any help or illistrations appreciated.

Steve

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-07-12, 01:48 PM
I'm not sure where the sensors are...it could be your thermostat

Aurora5000
10-17-12, 01:57 PM
It is full coolent and no air bubbles. What tells the fans to come on?

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-17-12, 02:18 PM
Idk exactly...i just replaced my fans this morning and I was wondering the same. But some kind of sensor has to turn them when a certain temp is reached

Ludacrisvp
10-17-12, 06:27 PM
this makes me happy to have the performance cooling option with the belt driven fan rather than electric.

EChas3
10-17-12, 08:30 PM
Turn the AC (temp setting) all the way up & the fan(s) will run.

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-17-12, 08:42 PM
Nice you're lucky there Luda

Neutrocuted
10-18-12, 01:40 AM
Mine did exactly the same thing when I bought it with 80k on the odo. The dealer denied anything was wrong because it wouldn't happen all the time. I took it to my NAPA auto repair and they told me it was a defective thermostat. I disagreed with him and said it didn't sound logical because the temp gauge would sometimes suddenly drop to cold after the engine was warm, which sounds to me like a sender or a short. So he convinced me by telling me that he had seen it many times before and that changing the thermostat was the cure for the problem, so I let him change it and do a flush since he had to go that far anyway.

The thought of paying him to change the thermostat and the problem not being resolved drove me nuts! I could just imagine how the conversation was going to go... "well, I can't understand why that didn't fix your car!!??? Maybe it's the temperature sending unit. I've got one in stock."... but, I'm glad to say that I have not had any cooling system issues since it was replaced, the needle reads solid, always, and that was 2 years ago.

truckinman
10-18-12, 11:30 AM
My guess is the gate/door on the thermostat is sticking closed to long, causing the needle to climb on the gauge, then opens and sticks open to long causing it to cool more than usual? Maybe that could make the needle bounce?

Charles Warren
10-24-12, 07:53 AM
mine does this when i turn the climate control to 90. i just keep it at 82. its getting on my nerves. the same thing whats happening to yalls is going on on mine, the fans will be blowing and the needle will be all the way down i turn the car off and it goes back to normal but check engine light comes on but no code. i think i have a thermostat housing leak so i'll replace gasket and t stat