: Covered maintenance

fogey0
10-03-12, 01:02 PM
Oil changes are covered by the guage that reaches a certain level of oil life
remaining. I have a 2012 coupe with very low miles that will not hit that level within a year. The manual also states that oil changes should not go longer than one year regardless of miles. My question is the oil change covered by the warranty if I have to get it changed near the end of a year?

smackdownCTSV
10-03-12, 01:05 PM
Call up your local dealer and see what they say. Some will say it needs to be below 20% and others may do it before the year is up.

Xaqtly
10-03-12, 01:08 PM
FWIW, and this is just my personal opinion, but if you got the car new and you haven't changed the oil yet, get it changed ASAP. Doesn't have to be at your dealer, but you need to get the break-in oil out of your engine before you get into the recommended oil change intervals. Just get some good fresh synthetic in there, then after that get it changed as directed.

V Wagon
10-03-12, 02:56 PM
I'm pretty sure if you don't use the car enough for the oil life to drop based on mileage it will still decrease based on time elapsed. You can see your current oil life by pressing the "i" button. How long have you had the car, how many miles are on it, and what is the oil life at.

With typical use, I believe the oil life on mileage would reach 0 around 8500.

So, for example, if you've had your car 6 months, and put 2000 miles on it, and your oil life reads 50%, it is definitely decreaseing by time elapsed and not any mileage type based indicators.

Squirlz
10-03-12, 03:49 PM
I called Cadillac to check on this and got a very stupid woman who could only read from the manual and paid little attention to what I was asking her. I told her it had been a year and an oil change is required, is it covered? She really didn't seem to grasp what I was asking, just kept reading the line about the oil life sensor. So I called my dealer and they said come on in. Later the cadillac lady called and left me a voicemail reading the line from the manual that says change the oil at 1 year.

She never did address my direct question of 'is that covered". I wrote a very long letter of complaint to Cadillac but their site then would not process it. So screw it.

M5eater
10-03-12, 04:16 PM
It's covered.

The maintaince progam covers all OCI's for a 4 year or 50K period.

if you don't reach 0% on the OLM and are reaching the 1 year threashold every year they're getting a great deal..

JoshV
10-04-12, 11:38 AM
I had the same question for my dealer. They said it had to be 12% or low. I asked about the 1 year situation without the oil life monitor going below 12% and was it covered. I got a very vague answer to that question. Mine has gone below 12% but I think I would have to push the issue if I did go over 1 year to get it covered.

baabootoo
10-04-12, 12:39 PM
It's covered.

The maintaince progam covers all OCI's for a 4 year or 50K period.

if you don't reach 0% on the OLM and are reaching the 1 year threashold every year they're getting a great deal..

Even 2009s?

M5eater
10-04-12, 12:53 PM
Even 2009s?

only 11+'s have the Coverage.

I had the same question for my dealer. They said it had to be 12% or low. I asked about the 1 year situation without the oil life monitor going below 12% and was it covered. I got a very vague answer to that question. Mine has gone below 12% but I think I would have to push the issue if I did go over 1 year to get it covered.

you shouldn't have to push it. If you're using the mantiance program chances are;
A) You're on your first OCI and they can use the delivery date with today's date to make the 1 year determination
Or
B) you should have dealer records of OCI's and have clear dates/times to account for the year change.

If you're getting pushback I wouldn't bother arguing with the dealer and call customer service. It's clearly in the warranty manual that 1 year OCI's are necessary. That's in almost every car's users manual sold in america today acutally.

Oil breaks down through oxidation. 1 year of communiting and sitting is a lot of oxidation.

The question here (which I'm assuming they don't have the answer to) is weather this 'requirement' is a carry-over from pre-OLM conditions and whether the OLM takes that 1 year into account when caculating percentages.

Since there's no onboard date/time recorder beyond the clock, my guess is that it doesn't.

baabootoo
10-04-12, 12:58 PM
Yep, I just checked, and my 2009 fluids and filers are NOT covered.

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-04-12, 03:32 PM
Squirlz, how long ago did you speak to someone from our Cadillac Customer Service department? If you don't mind emailing me (Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com) with your full name and the last eight of your VIN, then I can look into your case details for you and update your case file with your feedback. I'm really sorry to hear about your frustration!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

ta206
10-04-12, 06:25 PM
My 2011 had 5,000 miles on it in July when it was a year old. My local dealer did the oil change for free with no questions asked.

tedcmiller
10-05-12, 01:45 PM
Cars today don't use break-in oil. The owner's manual says to change the oil at one year intervals even though the oil life monitor is not at zero, because that is what was said before the free oil change was instituted (a good money maker for GM and the dealer).

JFJr
10-06-12, 01:02 PM
Remember, oil absorbs the by products of combustion, so that should tell you not to push the envelope to save a few bucks.

Jud

M5eater
10-06-12, 01:17 PM
Cars today don't use break-in oil. The owner's manual says to change the oil at one year intervals even though the oil life monitor is not at zero, because that is what was said before the free oil change was instituted (a good money maker for GM and the dealer).

actually... You need to change it at 1 year because of one of two conditions;

either it has sat exposed to a non-sealed environment (an engine sump) and has oxidized to the point that it's compromised.
or
you didn't drive it past the Mileage recommended because you have incredibly short commutes or idle a long time (which is the hardest on oil)

my OLM didn't drop even 3 % when I drove up to NJ and back (700miles round trip)

but it drops 1 % every time I drive to work and back (50miles round trip)

DRL650
10-06-12, 09:32 PM
Well the question I have if we use 1 year do they start the counting time once you purchase or once it hits the lot to be sold? The reason I ask is I know mine was on the lot for almost 3 months before I purchased it. So would that mean I would change out in 9 months if I dont hit the mileage? I have 3 cars so my milage will be low.

IBMike
10-07-12, 06:35 AM
Sorry if it is a n00b question, but on the subject of covered maintenance, if I buy a used 11+, does it transfer? Thanks!

luderchris
10-07-12, 06:46 AM
Sorry if it is a n00b question, but on the subject of covered maintenance, if I buy a used 11+, does it transfer? Thanks!

Yes.

IBMike
10-07-12, 06:59 AM
Yes.

thanks for the quick reply!! :thumbsup:

Tmer
10-07-12, 08:03 AM
For oil changes, one dealer said that the OLM had to be 20%. Another dealer said that they get reimbursed from Caddilac when the OLM reaches 40%. That would mean that I would need to drive about 4,000 miles for a covered oil change.