: New 2012 map update 2006 STS

peSTS
10-01-12, 09:29 PM
Hello All
I recently purchased the 2012 map update for my 2006 STS. I took out the old disk and put in the new and got a message " insert map disk " or something to that effect. It appears that the disk is not being read. Does anyone have a clue what has happened? I the disk bad? Your input is appreciated. Thanks

malatu
10-01-12, 10:42 PM
You might want to try cleaning the disk. Ya never know. Also, it could simply be a bad disk. Take it to a dealership and ask if you could try it in one of their cars.

ddalder
10-01-12, 11:49 PM
I seem to recall reading a bulletin or other document to the effect that you may require a firmware update before you can use that disc (based on your model year). You may want to check with your dealership.

carter's_sts
10-02-12, 01:59 AM
You definitely need the firmware update. Do a search in the STS-V forum. People are talking about it over there. I had to have it done. I would print out the info from this site and take it in. You should be able to get the exact TSB. Unfortunately some of the dealers don't have a clue.

Ludacrisvp
10-02-12, 04:11 AM
You definitely need the firmware update. Do a search in the STS-V forum. People are talking about it over there. I had to have it done. I would print out the info from this site and take it in. You should be able to get the exact TSB. Unfortunately some of the dealers don't have a clue.
This is indeed the answer you are looking for.
From what I read about it some dealers will charge you, some will not, I would plan for a range of cost from dealer to be between $50-$150 for their time / "diagnostic fee" charge.
In my mind this should be a free update, not something that involves a cost.

malatu
10-02-12, 10:57 AM
Agreed! Particularly after bucking up for the disc upgrade!

peSTS
10-02-12, 03:01 PM
Guys..thanks for the feedback. Just got off the phone with Gmnavdisc and was told that the 2012 disc would not work with 2006 or older model. Something about being incompatible and gm hasn't found a fix as of yet. She would send out a 2011 disc..hmmm sounds really suspect. I can't imagine there being much difference between 2011 and 2012 map updates?

Ludacrisvp
10-02-12, 03:13 PM
I think the 2011 was on 2 discs compared to a single disc for 2012. I would hit up the dealer about the firmware update. It does also do somethin with Bluetooth and it moves the magnetic ride control button (if equipped) to the main config screen to allow changing it while in motion.

RippyPartsDept
10-02-12, 03:54 PM
from how i understand it the firmware update was part of one of the discs ... the first year that the firmware was required i would assume

if you skipped that year then the firmware update CDs were needed

many dealers don't even know about the firmware update - the bulletin number is on here in a few threads, if you search a bit you can find it

dkozloski
10-02-12, 05:39 PM
I guaran-damn-tee you the 2012 navdisc will work perfectly after the firmware upgrade. There are several fairly recent threads on the subject. This TSB will fix your problem among other things. The TSB is #05-08-126-001B and covers voice recognition, personalization memory, and other stuff. The dealer will have to have Disc Set P/N 15943724. See your dealer and you should be charged for .7hr labor as called out in the TSB.

Subsailor613
10-02-12, 07:43 PM
Hi, What part number and what Ver. is the 2012 disk you have ?
thanks

peSTS
10-02-12, 11:33 PM
thanks

The p/n is 22820294 version 8.0

peSTS
10-02-12, 11:38 PM
thanks

P/n 22820294 version 8.0

peSTS
10-02-12, 11:41 PM
I think the 2011 was on 2 discs compared to a single disc for 2012. I would hit up the dealer about the firmware update. It does also do somethin with Bluetooth and it moves the magnetic ride control button (if equipped) to the main config screen to allow changing it while in motion.

I did and they were clueless. Now I'm not sure if I was talking to a service manager or just someone in the service dept.

carter's_sts
10-03-12, 01:08 AM
Print out the whole TSB once you find it on here. It's here, and take it to your dealer. That's what I did and my 2012 disc was not working and is working now. Again some dealers are cluless.

06WhiteDiamond
10-03-12, 10:12 AM
I can confirm that a navigation system firmware upgrade will indeed resolve this issue. I was working for biggest Cadillac dealer in Canada and had this exact same issue with my 2006 STS4. Considering my position at the dealership(Network Administrator) i was quite buddy buddy with just about everyone in all different departments so i had all the access required to resolve this myself. I spoke to the Shop Foreman and was completely surprised when he told me that they do not have the specific disc required to perform the firmware upgrade which would entail that this has never been done. I promptly searched this forum for this exact issue and came across a thread which gave me all the information i needed to complete this myself.

Their are actually quite a few threads regarding this issue, i simply called GM Nav disc center with p/n and ordered the disc required. I believe every dealer is entitled to one free copy of the disc but if this disc is lost they charge about $90 for a replacement. The disc arrived next day and i completed the update on my lunch break with an MDI programming unit. The entire process takes about 30 minutes, i believe their is actually a thread created with a complete write up including pictures to guide you through the process.

dkozloski
10-03-12, 10:17 AM
Go back and read post #10. The TSB# and the part # for the required disc set is there.

06WhiteDiamond
10-03-12, 10:29 AM
Go back and read post #10. The TSB# and the part # for the required disc set is there.

What he said.

peSTS
10-04-12, 01:15 AM
I can confirm that a navigation system firmware upgrade will indeed resolve this issue. I was working for biggest Cadillac dealer in Canada and had this exact same issue with my 2006 STS4. Considering my position at the dealership(Network Administrator) i was quite buddy buddy with just about everyone in all different departments so i had all the access required to resolve this myself. I spoke to the Shop Foreman and was completely surprised when he told me that they do not have the specific disc required to perform the firmware upgrade which would entail that this has never been done. I promptly searched this forum for this exact issue and came across a thread which gave me all the information i needed to complete this myself.

Their are actually quite a few threads regarding this issue, i simply called GM Nav disc center with p/n and ordered the disc required. I believe every dealer is entitled to one free copy of the disc but if this disc is lost they charge about $90 for a replacement. The disc arrived next day and i completed the update on my lunch break with an MDI programming unit. The entire process takes about 30 minutes, i believe their is actually a thread created with a complete write up including pictures to guide you through the process.

Is this disc a dealer purchased item only? Is the MDI unit you mentioned required to install the disc? Also is the MDI unit the same as the Tech 2 mentioned in the TSB?

carter's_sts
10-04-12, 01:46 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/112284-question-software-update.html

4 posts down, print it out and take it to the clueless dealer.