: traction control

brian2008sts
10-01-12, 03:59 PM
At very low speeds my 2008 sts, 49k miles, displays traction control active. Car then loses power. Very dangerous pulling into intersections and having no power. Has been at dealership 3 times. Did reprogramming and recently rotated wheels. Has been happening for 2 months. No new tires or any changes. Dealership called Cadillac and was told they were aware of problem and sometimes after replacing everything, new wheels would help. They were told to switch with another 2008 sts on lot, but they didn't have one. Anyone have any suggestions?

KRSTS
10-01-12, 04:27 PM
Turn it off until they figure out how to fix it.

curtc
10-01-12, 04:55 PM
:yeah:

B1n2fra
10-01-12, 05:56 PM
It kills me how the so call certified gm/cadillac specialty mechanics dont understand half of the electronic components of a car. There should be some sort of database to refer to to fix these cars. I take my cadillac to a cadillac dealership and they can't fix it makes no sense.

EChas3
10-01-12, 08:51 PM
Replace the crappy OEM tires.

Cadjiek
10-01-12, 10:20 PM
I did on my 07 and it didn't make a difference. The traction control on the STS is terrible and dangerous.

EChas3
10-02-12, 09:37 PM
I did on my 07 and it didn't make a difference. The traction control on the STS is terrible and dangerous.

That sounds like there's some other issue, too. With good tires, both my AWD and my wife's 2007 RWD are incredible.

truckinman
10-03-12, 03:42 AM
Heck, 90% of the time, the second I start the car I disable the traction and stability control. I hate electronic driver aids.

Ludacrisvp
10-03-12, 03:44 AM
Heck, 90% of the time, the second I start the car I disable the traction and stability control. I hate electronic driver aids.
I recall seeing a disclaimer in the manual stating something to the effect of 'driving with these off may cause damage to the drivetrain that would not be covered under your new car warranty' ...

truckinman
10-03-12, 09:07 AM
I recall seeing a disclaimer in the manual stating something to the effect of 'driving with these off may cause damage to the drivetrain that would not be covered under your new car warranty' ...

I don't have a warranty anyway. And I don't turn em off to drive it any harder than with them on. I just don't like the feeling when I'm pulling into heavy traffic, of losing HP/torque when I really need it

brian2008sts
11-05-12, 03:32 PM
I was offered by cadillac $5000 owner loyalty certificate to put toward purchase of new GM vehicle. I was told they were aware of problem all over country and have tried and cannot fix it. Unfortunately, the resale value of the vehicle sucks. Guess when it goes for auction, will be someone elses problem. Sort of surprised cadillac does not recall all of them off the road.

dkozloski
11-05-12, 04:13 PM
Somebody is blowing smoke somewhere. Traction control and stability systems both work flawlessly on everything from dry pavement to glare ice. The plausible causes of trouble run the gamut from stupid drivers through mismatched wheels and tires to mechanical faults. If your mechanic can't fix it you need to find another that has at least two brain cells to rub together.

1BadCadSTS
11-05-12, 07:57 PM
Funny for a common problem there are no techline bulletins or comments to anything near what you describe....

curtc
11-05-12, 08:29 PM
:yeah: I've had 4 Cadillac's, including the current STS, with TC, 3 of them having stability control, and never had an issue...

Well, scratch that, the CTS had a very intermittent issue during its early months of my ownership with the stability control activating randomly, traced that to a faulty steering wheel position sensor.

KRSTS
11-05-12, 08:32 PM
If you don't like your TC, you have the option to turn it off.

studio caddi
11-05-12, 09:46 PM
I know the owners of 2 Cadillac dealerships and I read your question yesterday and called them and they have never heard of any problems with the traction control on the STS like you are describing . The heads of their service departments both said you need to find someone else who is competent to fix your car .

EChas3
11-05-12, 10:09 PM
OP has a lazy dealer and an opportunistic salesman. Try a good dealer. These cars aren't that hard to diagnose.

carter's_sts
11-06-12, 12:12 AM
Dealer is lame. It's likely one of the wheel sensors sending an erroneous signal. Not normal or common.

curtc
11-06-12, 02:19 AM
Dealer is lame. It's likely one of the wheel sensors sending an erroneous signal. Not normal or common.

That would be my starting point.

gtirsmiley
11-06-12, 06:06 PM
I have the same problem. I believe the issue is in regards with the tires itself. I changed my rear (rwd car) tires to Nitto Invos, and they gave me the same traction active problem over the speeds of 160kmh.

I called my brother and he confirmed with me that he had the same problem when he put the Nitto Invos on his C6 Corvette.

Charles Warren
11-06-12, 08:47 PM
My car is doing this. I'm going to put on a machine and record frames of the wheel speeds

EChas3
11-07-12, 01:36 AM
I have heard of high-carbon tire compounds causing enough static to foul various systems. It's a reach but plausible.

Charles Warren
11-10-12, 08:01 PM
Ok i got new bearing on and its fixed. Hope thats all what's wrong with op's

curtc
11-11-12, 12:01 AM
Ok i got new bearing on and its fixed. Hope thats all what's wrong with op's

Wheel speed sensors are built into the hub...this is the 1st thing I would look at if my car ever did this.