: Review: 2012 Chevy Malibu, California Trip

Jesda
10-01-12, 06:13 AM
http://jesda.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/wpid-DSC02915-2012-09-26-02-47.jpg

http://jesda.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/wpid-DSC02671-2012-09-26-02-47.jpg

http://jesda.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/wpid-DSC02667-2012-09-26-02-47.jpg

http://jesda.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/wpid-DSC02688-2012-09-26-02-47.jpg

I rented a Malibu, ate like a king, drank like a fish, went to a car show, and played at the beach.
Also, we enjoyed an outstanding meal by a chef I know.

The 2012 Malibu turned out to be an unexpectedly excellent car. The pictures from the Japanese Classic Car Show, The Reagan Museum, and Las Vegas are still being pieced together for another article.

http://jesda.com/2012/09/26/review-2012-chevy-malibu-long-beach-road-trip/

ted tcb
10-01-12, 01:26 PM
Great review over at Jesda.com, better than anything one could ever find in a professional car magazine.
Just one example is your attention to detail, posting the picture and description of "casting flash" when the plastic was
removed from the mold. These are the small details that car reviewers ignore or just don't understand, but we enthusiasts
want to see the details described.
Much like the baby soft leather inside the door grips of a LS430, the attention to detail can make or break a car's interior for some of us.

So, were you tempted to take the "Malibu" to Malibu?

orconn
10-01-12, 02:23 PM
Great review, Jesda! I have been intrigued by this generation Malibu, I am glad to hear that, in general, the car lives up to the expectations engendered by its clean, attractive looks. It is ashame that this model will see such a short production life.

Is there a nice velour interior offered for the Malibu. I am not a fan of "synthetic" or real suede for seating surfaces, in my exerience it doesn't wear well .... like many so called "luxury" items and materials it just doesn't hol,d up as well as many of its less exclusive alternatives!

hueterm
10-01-12, 02:59 PM
No, the cloth is terrible... Kind of like an airplane seat....

drewsdeville
10-01-12, 09:12 PM
My GF and I have an '09, 2LT trim. It's a great, well-rounded car. Drives fantastic, rides great, looks classy, gets superb mileage, and it has all of the important practical features one could want while leaving out the gimmicky, annoying ones that it's competition has been adopting.

My only consistent complaint about this car is the nasty blind spots that the thick, low, swooping A pillars create. Other than that, there are a few tidbits in the interior that perhaps could have used some improvement, but that this price point, I really don't think they can be considered valid complaints.

hueterm
10-01-12, 09:32 PM
Torry is going to kill ewe...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-01-12, 10:28 PM
Great review Jesda, however, here's a few notes from my end:

1) LTZ was first used by Chevrolet in 1992 for the "sporty" Caprice. The LTZ had the 350 as standard (back when the 305 was normally standard), a firmer suspension, blacked out grille, alloy wheels and the analog gauge cluster (with a digital speedo...go figure). When the Impala SS hit the market in '94, the LTZ Caprice was history.

2) You said the Malibu you drove would retail for $26,000 new. A $26,000 MSRP Optima would be an EX with leather, dual zone climate control, 17" wheels, 200HP GDI 4 cylinder engine, power driver's seat and a have a few accessories. You can get into an EX for $24,500 MSRP. A base SX with the 274hp turbo engine, cloth/leather seats, paddle shifters, dual zone climate control, power driver's seat, etc stickers for about $27,000.

3) 20-21 MPG city? My Lesabre, with 21 years of age and 150k miles under it's belt gets 22-23 in town. How it pulls that off is beyond me. :)

4) That steak you had looks divine and that corn...my God that sounds phenomenal.

5) My father has an '11 Malibu 1LS, just the base Malibu with the four speed automatic. He got it for like $17,500 w/ rebates & everything. He really likes it and even the entry level model has a two tone cloth interior, not that funky ultralux suede yours did. He does complain that it's underpowered, but I've never driven it, so I can't comment. It is however, a very elegant looking sedan, one of the best looking midsized sedans when it was new.

Jesda
10-01-12, 10:51 PM
Great review Jesda, however, here's a few notes from my end:
1) LTZ was first used by Chevrolet in 1992 for the "sporty" Caprice. The LTZ had the 350 as standard (back when the 305 was normally standard), a firmer suspension, blacked out grille, alloy wheels and the analog gauge cluster (with a digital speedo...go figure). When the Impala SS hit the market in '94, the LTZ Caprice was history.

Interesting!

2) You said the Malibu you drove would retail for $26,000 new. A $26,000 MSRP Optima would be an EX with leather, dual zone climate control, 17" wheels, 200HP GDI 4 cylinder engine, power driver's seat and a have a few accessories. You can get into an EX for $24,500 MSRP. A base SX with the 274hp turbo engine, cloth/leather seats, paddle shifters, dual zone climate control, power driver's seat, etc stickers for about $27,000.

By 2012 it came with more discounts than dented cans of beans at Aldi.

77CDV
10-01-12, 10:54 PM
You were in CA, at the Reagan Library no less (like 10 minutes from my house!), and didn't say!? I am disappoint! :(

hueterm
10-01-12, 10:56 PM
BTW, you all have the diabeetus after eating that sundae...be sure to order your supplies from Wilford Brimley...

I'm going to LA in a few weeks...totally want to stay at the Queen Mary. I just don't want to be stuck staying down in Long Beach.

Am planning to stay in Pasadena instead....

hueterm
10-01-12, 10:59 PM
You were in CA, at the Reagan Library no less (like 10 minutes from my house!), and didn't say!? I am disappoint! :(

The last time I was in LA, I played golf up in Simi Valley -- can't remember the name of the course now... But it was the location where they'd filmed MASH and Little House on the Prairie, and some other shows.

Now that they have AF One there, I might do the museum....... Hmmmmmm....

Jesda
10-01-12, 11:14 PM

I wondered how many people we'd be missing out on in such a populated region. :(

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-01-12, 11:44 PM
By 2012 it came with more discounts than dented cans of beans at Aldi.

I should use that as an email tagline at work. "Our Nissans and Kias have more discounts than a dented can of beans at Aldi!"

Here's a couple of crappy pictures of an LTZ Caprice. Notice the instrument cluster in the first one.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa135/WrenchGuy420/100_0466.jpg

All the LTZ's were a two tone.
http://autooboz.omega.kz/foto/chevrolet/chevrolet_caprice_classic.jpg

77CDV
10-02-12, 01:03 AM
I should use that as an email tagline at work. "Our Nissans and Kias have more discounts than a dented can of beans at Aldi!"

Here's a couple of crappy pictures of an LTZ Caprice. Notice the instrument cluster in the first one.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa135/WrenchGuy420/100_0466.jpg

All the LTZ's were a two tone.
http://autooboz.omega.kz/foto/chevrolet/chevrolet_caprice_classic.jpg

Who beat the crap outta that poor thing?

STS_Seville_Hunter
10-02-12, 04:56 PM
I wondered how many people we'd be missing out on in such a populated region. :(

If you come to Cali again give a heads up, I always lie meeting people from the internet.

cadillac kevin
10-02-12, 05:04 PM
Who beat the crap outta that poor thing?

Same person who thought duct tape fixed everything.

77CDV
10-02-12, 05:20 PM
Same person who thought duct tape fixed everything.

Wait, it....it DOESN'T?!? Why doesn't somebody tell me these things!?!? :rofl:

orconn
10-02-12, 05:22 PM
What doesn't duct tape fix?

77CDV
10-02-12, 05:30 PM
The Caprice's interior for a start.

orconn
10-02-12, 05:41 PM
Before there was duct tape there was some colored tape (it came in different colors so you could match the color of your cracked padded dash. (In the 1950's and on into the 1960's the padded dashes that came with the cars of the era alway cracked within a year or two of the car's purchase). While you couldn't really fix a cracked dash on one of these cars (and their depreciation was so steep it wasn't worth replacing the dash cover only to have it crack a year later) without replacing the padded cover, you could, at least, cover up the unsightly brown gash that opened up after the the dash cover split using the colored mastik tape. (Just one of the many reasons we traded cars every two to three years!

talismandave
10-03-12, 01:25 AM
Why would Jesda want to meet up with a liar?:confused:

SDCaddyLacky
10-24-12, 12:30 PM
This was Chevy's best effort yet the 09-12 Malibu models. I remember how horrible the previous years were, but these cars are a huge step forward in quality and refinement. I remember renting a 10 Malibu a couple of years ago, and it was a really nice car to drive. The fit and finish was excellent, and the car ran great, drove smooth and was one of the quietest cars I have ever driven.

I keep hearing how much smaller and cheaper feeling the new 13 Malibu is, and that is disappointing. It's like GM knew they had a hit with the 09-12 models and decided to cut cost with the newer models. I don't understand GM at times, they can't seem to continue the good things that helped them make a comeback. It's like when the get a small taste of success or increase in sales, it means cost cutting for the next gen models and hope that consumers don't notice the changes.

I wouldn't mind picking up a used 09-12 Malibu, they look good, have a lot of space inside, and are well built.

thebigjimsho
10-24-12, 01:37 PM
GM is slotting the Malibu down with the new Impala being the room and styling king. I think the old Malibu and Impala were too similar...

Aron9000
10-24-12, 09:28 PM
Is the new Impala going to be RWD and Holden Commodore based????

Jesda
10-25-12, 12:05 AM
Is the new Impala going to be RWD and Holden Commodore based????

Nope.

SDCaddyLacky
10-25-12, 12:24 AM
Well that sucks! I thought the upcoming Impala was supposed to be RWD?

CadillacLuke24
10-25-12, 12:52 AM
Nope. That is reserved for the Chevrolet SS :sneaky:

cadillac kevin
10-25-12, 01:07 PM
I think you guys are thinking of the chevy caprice, not the impala.

hueterm
10-25-12, 01:24 PM
The Impala is basically an XTS...