: Exit Interview -- CTS-V

CTS-Vz
09-30-12, 05:05 PM
Hey Guys,

Sold the V today. Wanted to write this for anyone who is looking at buying the Caddy and cares to know a previous owner's thoughts. Mainly, I would NOT get this car again if i had a mulligan.

Pro's
- Head Turner Styling (In and Out)
- Straight Line Speed (2nd, 3rd, and 4th pulls especially)
- Sounds (SC whine up front, throaty exhaust in rear)
- HID Headlights (Function AND Form)
- Stopping (Brembos are awesome)

Con's
- GAS Guzzler! (I averaged 14 MPG and was spending ~$600 a month to have this as a daily driver)
- Technology (InfoTainment system was awful, GPS was clunky and outdated)
- Sound System ("Bose" is a marketing tool, house hold name with mediocre performance)
- Weight (car is too heavy. Dulls speed and handling)
- Tires (19" wheels costly to replace rubber, $2000 to replace all 4)
- Auto transmission (shifts take forever, redline bogs)

The styling and cult Phenomenon is why I got this car. I constantly found myself hearing other people tell me how cool the car is but they'd never owned one. I have owned 7 other cars and "fallen in love" with only 2 in my life...this car was far from a love affair. When prepping the car to sell I noticed TONS of V's for sale that had less than 15K miles. Since quite a few weren't through a Cadillac dealer I don't think they were lease vehicles, but more than likely people like myself that fell in love with the IDEA of the V and not the car itself. I learned with this car that I value the importance of a lot of things (comfort, technology, sound system, MPG, etc) more than styling and straight line speed. Bottom line, if I was a billionaire I'd love to have this in my fleet of vehicles but for a daily driver this car, for me, was disappointing.

Best of luck to everyone!
Vz

smackdownCTSV
09-30-12, 05:31 PM
Gas Guzzler? Really? Who really buys a performance car and cares about gas mileage? EPA is clearly stated in bold on the window sticker. It actually gets more than the EPA rated 18 mpg highway, I've seen 20s on the highway. The only way you get an "average" 14 mpg is if you're beating on it, regularly in boost, don't do much highway, and/or idle frequently. I've been down in the 11-12 mpg, but that was all city, idling, few WOT runs, etc. But right when I went on the highway, it rose back into the teens.
Technology and Sound are your opinion, so whatever there. Don't care.
Sure, it's "heavy" but that's a given.
Tires? Hah. You could always cheap out and get Hankooks. The PS2s are better handling though.
Auto transmission needs to be in sport mode for quicker shifts and only bogs if you don't manually shift it properly.

Overall, it seems like you went into the car blind, did no research, and were oblivious. I'm no GM fanboy. I still think they should provide a fix for the sunroof and recaro seats. And telling customers a supercharger rattling is fine, especially when the engineers add a lot of sound dampening to the intake and engine. Kind of seems redundant if the rattle is acceptable. Luckily it's just stupid little shit that's annoying.

neuronbob
09-30-12, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the exit interview.

The gas mileage is indeed awful. I've never spent $600 in a month on gas, though, even in a month when I was on a road trip. I fill up once a week and given premium gas prices between 3.75 and 4.00 around here I'm paying in the neighborhood of $250 a month for gas. Still a lot of money, but the OP must be driving a LOT of miles.

Yet, I have driven my car 45000 miles (as of tomorrow anyway) and accept it for what it is.

I happen to love the idea and the implementation of the car. Yeah, some of the infotainment stuff sucks, but keep in mind it was designed six years ago and things have progressed. I just test drove a Honda Accord today and frankly, its entertainment and navi are miles ahead of the V. Then again, it's about expectations. I expect to be thoroughly entertained by my daily drive, and this car has indeed done that. :)

The handling is pretty darned good for a heavy car like this. The Mag Ride Control has lots to do with that.

This car is a pig and very heavy. Hopefully GM is working on that for the next gen. Helps in the snow and rain, though! :)

So what is your new ride?

JFJr
09-30-12, 05:50 PM
The styling and cult Phenomenon is why I got this car.You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I've never heard of anyone buying a super sedan primarily for its cult appeal, styling and luxury features. Many of your negatives are things you were on notice of before you bought it, such as high performance fuel economy, infotainment system (2008 technology) weight, wheels, etc., regardless if you didn't bother to check. How about a Buick or a Hyundai?

BWhite58
09-30-12, 06:03 PM
Yes the higher gas goes the more it costs to run . 4 years ago unleaded could be had for half the cost today .

BobnNY
09-30-12, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the write up and your feedback. At $4+ a gallon now a days MPG is a consideration and I also debated to get a CTS-V or Audi S4 based on performance reliability and MPG. I'm now waiting it to see if the ATS-V will come with a V6 Supercharged or Twin Turbo.

b4z
09-30-12, 07:32 PM
The poor gas mileage wouldn't bother me as much as th 18 gallon gas tank. Completely inadequate for any kind of cruising range. But I guess if the mileage were better than the small gas tank wouldn't be the issue.

larry arizona
09-30-12, 07:58 PM
Actually gas mileage is VERY good for what this car is 556hp! My 285HP 4x4 sierra gets worse and anyone who owns a SUV or Truck does way worse than us with far less performance and fun...... Get real, anyone who buys a V for a DD and MPG is a concern will have INSTANT buyers remorse and is a moron for overlooking this on the window sticker. BTW 16.2 lifetime average over 11,000 miles of city driving is great. I can get 21-22 on the hwy doing 75MPH.

Bose system is VERY Good. Unless you like rap it may lack that bass you are looking for BUT very clean sound.

Tires? I want the HIGHEST performing tires possible and guess what they cost alot DUHHHHH! Buy some hankooks. HP tires cost $$$ and dont come cheap.

4200 lbs is less than the competition (M5 and Merc and Audi) and this car certainly does not feel like its 4200lbs. Very nimble car for its class.

Sounds like you are justifying the sale of your V. High performance cars are not good choices for DD unless you can afford them.

Did you go buy a hybrid? I don't blame you, With the Chevy Volts gettin so cheap, I am leasing one for the

wife. a V and a VOLT HA:yup:

larry arizona
09-30-12, 08:03 PM
Holy crap dude, No wonder you are dumping your V....... $600 a month for gas and 14MPG means you are driving at least 25,000 miles per year. You just picked the wrong DD.

hulksdaddy
09-30-12, 08:08 PM
Con's
- GAS Guzzler! (I averaged 14 MPG and was spending ~$600 a month to have this as a daily driver)

You bought a 556 hp performance car, with a GAS GUZZLER tax, as a daily driver? C'MON MAN!:suspect:

Awful? No way. Maybe a little outdated, but does the things it does very well.

- Sound System ("Bose" is a marketing tool, house hold name with mediocre performance)

Mine sounds great.

Weighed the same amount the day you bought it.

GOOD GOD MAN! Did a different personality buy the car, Mr. Sybil?!?!:banghead:

If you learned the car, and what it can do in Sport mode, you'd know that's not true.

The problem's not the car, it's you. Sounds like you mistook the car for a Prius V. :sneaky:

larry arizona
09-30-12, 08:13 PM
I think the lack of knowledge on the auto trans is very common. Most don't know how it works and dont learn how to drive it. I had a co-worker test drive an auto V and he said it was sluggish. I said really? Took him for a ride in my 6M V and he screamed like a school girl and damn near sharted himself.

CTS-Vz
09-30-12, 09:19 PM
Ha. I knew a lot of folks would attack me for my OPINIONS. My situation was unique. Especially the gas thing. My office moved from 10 miles from home to 20 miles, with drive time quadrupled through traffic... So all the "your and idiot you should have known about the gas" comments are void from my perspective. I couldn't have known. The beauty for this car is truly in the eye of the beholder! I let a buddy who had a 2011 Mustang GT drive and he loved it! I let other friends who have Nissan GTR and a WRX STI drive it and they were thought it was pretty "meh", average at best. Diff'rent strokes, diff'rent folks.

I'm glad some people were appreciative of the comments. I don't make a million bucks a year or anything, and was really excited to get the car when I found a great deal on it. I'm a huge "car guy" and did all my research. There isn't any amount of research your can do to prepare for the sensation of being behind the wheel of a car for 25K miles a year. I found another great deal on a 2012 Acura TL Advance SH-AWD. I had a Acura before so I am excited for the next chapter. Again, only my opinions, but the V is the perfect car for some and not for others.

M5eater
09-30-12, 09:35 PM
Con's
It does suck gas, but the reality is, the E60 M5 which it was tested against manages 11/17. The mid-late 00's V8 sports sedans of the last decade (your E90 M3' C63 AMG and B7 RS4) all manage between 12/-18- 14/20, oh, and they weigh less, have more gears *and* make less power..) My main gripe is the 18Gal tank. 230miles/fillup is pretty short. Acutal fuel economy for a sedan of this size and power was above average, maybe even dare I say class leading
It was OK back in 09, but by now, it is pretty dated/ agreed. It needed a mid-model year refresh badly. I'm not too upset though. I rarely use Nav.
Jesus Yes. It's adequate. But even by comparison to the Bose in the 12 year old A6 this system sounds hollow and it's not very loud.
For square footage, it's a bit of a porker, but considering that, it's better than average I found for it's overall size. Not great, but the suspension and steering makes up for that.
Yeah.. sounds like you made the mistake of replacing the PS/2's with m0ar PS/2's Should have bought some SS' for $1300-1400 or even some conti's for $1000.
Never could really get a good grasp on the Auto, sport mode was pretty good, but it gets finicky when hot.

Commented.

1997BlackETC
09-30-12, 10:05 PM
Do they make the Michelin Super Sports in the right sizes? I thought they did not? If there is a way to go with the SS', yes definately do so, I had them on my last car and they were great. I think they are suppose to be even better than the PS2's?

JFJr
09-30-12, 10:15 PM
Yes, the Acura is the perfect car for YOU, although a little pricey. Perhaps the BUICK.

quikag
09-30-12, 10:34 PM
Enjoy your TL! I'll keep enjoying the heck out of my DD V and my 50 mile DFW round trip work commute.

Mika
09-30-12, 11:06 PM
Thank you for your perspective. Sucks that traffic doubled in mileage. Not all of us have a crystal ball ;). Good luck with the Acura.

Mika

1997BlackETC
09-30-12, 11:13 PM
I guess if you did'nt really utilize the performance features of this car like the 556hp and race track handling at times you would be better off with another type of car. A car I use to use for commuting that I really liked was my old Pontiac G8GT, I could get around 28 mpg on the highway and it had a really nice road feel to it, was thinking about putting a supercharger on it to make the HP around the equivelant to the V. Too bad they don't sell those cars anymore in the USA, but I do hear Chevy is going to come out with a similar car called the SS soon which is suppose to have the 6.2 LS motor in it and is made in AU.

simgolfer
10-01-12, 12:16 AM
Next time get a manual transmission and if there is any issues with shift speed or quality, user and not vehicle is to blame. Good luck with the Acura. Wife had a good experience with one of those.

neuronbob
10-01-12, 05:59 AM
. I found another great deal on a 2012 Acura TL Advance SH-AWD. I had a Acura before so I am excited for the next chapter. Again, only my opinions, but the V is the perfect car for some and not for others.

I approve, especially since they toned down the look. See you on Acurazine. I am a huge fan of SH-AWD.

khoeysr
10-01-12, 08:23 AM
That's why this is a great country. We are all entitiled to our opinions.

Good luck with your future car adventures. I personally love my V and am on my third.

larry arizona
10-01-12, 10:18 AM
Why give a parting shot to a V forum on your way out of the V? Might have gone over better on his new Acura forum. Not everyone appreciates opinions, there is something to be said for leaving with grace. Negativity on you way out comes across like sour grapes on a poor decision/personal situation.

Kinda like a democrat giving his opinion on a republican board (or vice versa, not a political statement here).

Jinx
10-01-12, 12:02 PM
As a member of the OP's target audience, I appreciate the exit interview. It helps to remain mindful of the sacrifices asked of an owner of this car relative to the best automotive appliances available.

cdog533
10-01-12, 12:37 PM
What the OP needed was a BMW....

I drive my V as much as possible. My daily commute is 30 miles each way. On the days when I have to drive A LOT of miles, I am sure to drive it. If I am on the road, this is the car that I want to be in!

I don't understand this mentality of getting a GREAT car and then not wanting to drive it because of the gas. That's like having a hot chick and not wanting to sleep with her because you get messy.

1997BlackETC
10-01-12, 01:18 PM
What the OP needed was a BMW....

I drive my V as much as possible. My daily commute is 30 miles each way. On the days when I have to drive A LOT of miles, I am sure to drive it. If I am on the road, this is the car that I want to be in!

I don't understand this mentality of getting a GREAT car and then not wanting to drive it because of the gas. That's like having a hot chick and not wanting to sleep with her because you get messy.

Good analogy, I love it. The old saying you gotta pay to play is true here, those who play harder pay more, but that's how life is.

Karch
10-01-12, 01:54 PM
Funny thread.
Not entirely related, but when I was looking for an affordable sedan to lease, for a company car, about 8 years ago, I was totally stuck, between the TL and the G35.
I test drove them back-back a few times, even hitting the freeway, and Sunset Blvd (lots of curves).

I really liked the Acura's refinement, the technology, and how smooth it was. The Infinity, I didn't like the exterior styling, the seats were ok (why did they put the controls on the bolsters), but it drove nicely.

I was leaning towards the Acura, but, like many of you, I suppose, was really having a tough time deciding. My wife suggested flipping a coin.

I said WHAT? Rely on a coin flip to make a decision like this! Absurd. She said why not? I agreed, and the Acura won the flip.

The first reaction I had was disappointment, and that a reaction is what she was after, and told me that tells the story.

I went with the G35, because, it was more to my roots (I drove a '69 400/4 speed Firebird in HS and college). It was rear drive, the being able to power out of a turn, no torque thrust, no FWD, that's what did it for me.

Mileage, yeah, I too drive a bit. I'm about 20K/year, and lots of terrible traffic (NC is nothing compare to Los Angeles, Westside in particular). I am currently in a Trailblazer SS, RWD, 14.5-15 mpg overall, but 18-19 highway, 3200 stall (only mistake, 2600 would have been ideal, this is too much, IMO). It's heavy, it's a pig, but for a $30K SUV, it's fun as hell, easy to mod, cheap to fix, and has been reliable.

I justify this solely on the reason that I love cars that much, that, and golf, are my hobbies, and I mentally allocate part of my (unofficial) entertainment budget to my DD.

I'm about to buy a V, worst thing I expect is the tank size, since I get about 300 miles now, so I expect a bit less with the V.

My other cars, 2011 JGC with the Hemi, and my '65 Pontiac 455 (3500 pounds) big Holley double pumper, maybe 7 mpg.

I think the OP is more of a European type car person, I am not, but I see his points, and can understand. I think the ATS is more like those from Europe, though not sure until I drive one. I too like Acura, and glad they revised their styling.

The European type cars definitely have their place, but, for me, what will keep me out of any German car ownership is the maintenance and repair prospects. Sure, some throw in maintenance, but then I am restricted to having it only during the length that it's offered.

McGuffy
10-01-12, 02:00 PM
Ha. I knew a lot of folks would attack me for my OPINIONS. My situation was unique. Especially the gas thing. My office moved from 10 miles from home to 20 miles, with drive time quadrupled through traffic... So all the "your and idiot you should have known about the gas" comments are void from my perspective. I couldn't have known. The beauty for this car is truly in the eye of the beholder! I let a buddy who had a 2011 Mustang GT drive and he loved it! I let other friends who have Nissan GTR and a WRX STI drive it and they were thought it was pretty "meh", average at best. Diff'rent strokes, diff'rent folks.

I'm glad some people were appreciative of the comments. I don't make a million bucks a year or anything, and was really excited to get the car when I found a great deal on it. I'm a huge "car guy" and did all my research. There isn't any amount of research your can do to prepare for the sensation of being behind the wheel of a car for 25K miles a year. I found another great deal on a 2012 Acura TL Advance SH-AWD. I had a Acura before so I am excited for the next chapter. Again, only my opinions, but the V is the perfect car for some and not for others.

I don't think you were attacked per se - you raise some valid points, but of course you will have people explain some of your issues. It's not the right car for you is perfectly valid. For the price, you should love it. If you want to see attacks, get into an iPhone/Android debate... Best of luck to you on your next vehicle!

larry arizona
10-01-12, 02:49 PM
See ya, don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya!

10-01-12, 03:49 PM
I don't understand the point of the OP's post. It's clear that he made a mistake buying a V...but he make it sound like it's somehow the car's fault. Nothing more than an inexperienced buyer with more money than brains (not meant as an insult, just as an expression), learning the hard way.

Whatever. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I think all would agree that an acura or similar sounds like a better match in this case.

McGuffy
10-01-12, 03:53 PM
I owned a TL - 2009 SH-AWD - absolutely phenomenal car, best Nav system I've seen, comfortable, reliable as hell - but I couldn't go from the V to that, it would feel absolutely anemic.

Airfoto
10-01-12, 04:33 PM
I agree to disagree - gas mileage not an issue / interior better than most GM products / weight a big issue - 5500 lbs is a road tank! The rest of it is acceptable for what the car is 2011 Vagon - it turns heads, most people don't know what the hell it is, but like it, as do I.

These might seems simple but these things drive me nutts, piss poor engineering and design styling. The 2 windshield wiper sprayers that sit on the hood, these 2 things total destroy a very clean hood line, with a little thought they could have been put near the wiper blades out of sight. When you look at the system it took more work putting them where they are then it would have putting them out of sight. The other thing is the Nav screen - going up and down - up and down - what a waste, just something else tyo break. No thought was put into that, not clean or appealing! The headlight washers, just another bad joke.

Why don't they spend some time figuring out how to cool the motor down with some venting in the hood area, which is packed with all kinds of goodies. I might be the only one that doe3s it, but does anyone else open the hood once the car is in the garage, just to cool the motor compartment down?

BUTT - what is totally unacceptable is GM's / Cadillac's attitude about the way dealers service the car - if they even do? 95% of the techs don't know anything about the car, they only want to drive it around and call it a test drive - pure BS I'll NEVER buy another GM product and I am telling everyone I know to do the same. GM might build performance cars, but once they them out the door and your $$$ the hell with you. My "V' will last until next year then, I'll take the hit and dump it!

I also have a 2009 MB and a 2008 Z06 - same BS at Chevy dealers as I got at the Cadillac dealer, but I have never left the MB dealer feeling pissed off, frustrated, or not wanting to go back - like I have at GM!

smackdownCTSV
10-01-12, 05:05 PM
^ Pretty much agreed.

ruby 1
10-01-12, 05:16 PM
I love my 2012 CTS-V Sedan. 6500 miles. My dealer is great. Sorry you had a bad experience with your V. Hope your new car fits your needs.

Karch
10-01-12, 05:29 PM
I agree to disagree - gas mileage not an issue / interior better than most GM products / weight a big issue - 5500 lbs is a road tank! The rest of it is acceptable for what the car is 2011 Vagon - it turns heads, most people don't know what the hell it is, but like it, as do I.

BUTT - what is totally unacceptable is GM's / Cadillac's attitude about the way dealers service the car - if they even do? 95% of the techs don't know anything about the car, they only want to drive it around and call it a test drive - prue BS I'll NEVER buy another GM product and I tell everyone I know to do the same. GM might build performance cars, but once they get your $$$ the hell with you. My "V' will last until next year then, I'll take the hit and dump it!

I also have a 2009 MB and a 2008 Z06 - same BS at Chevy dealers as I got at the Cadillac dealer, but I have never left the MB dealer feeling pissed off, frustrated, or not wanting to go back!

Which Cad and Chevy dealers have you been using? I agree with your post, and that most of the GM dealers around here suck. GM should really look into it, as it does/will really hurt their chances of selling another car to the same customers, kills loyalty.

Fortunately, or not, there are no Chevy dealers near me anymore. Both closed, and the one that I went to a few times sucked. I have a Jeep, and the local dealer sucks even worse, and my wife doesn't get it why I have to drive 35 miles to go to another Jeep dealer for an oil change or warranty (I'm not doing it myself on that car, it's a lease, and I don't have the time/inclination, but I can hit that dealer during my day at work).

cts-v ls6
10-01-12, 05:38 PM
Well, I have a 2010 V2 and love it. 6 speed, Recaros, etc..

But it is my DD, and I drive 50k miles per year. My gas bill is about $2000/month. I owned 2 V1's previously (the first one was wrecked for me), and they were nice cars. However they both got about 25 MPG instead of 19 MPG on the highway.

I waited 3 years to buy a V2, and then bought used. But I made a conscious decision that I wasn't going to beat myself up on the gas expense...because I knew it would be double what I had paid in the past.

Alot of my customers are car guys, and they love the car (I've let many of them drive it, and they always grin)

On the tires, I buy used. Atlantis has Continental BMW take-offs with 3-4000 miles on them for a good price. I cannot afford 2 grand for tires every 6 months.

Good luck with your TL. It's a great ride.

Jack

Airfoto
10-01-12, 08:18 PM
Which Cad and Chevy dealers have you been using? I agree with your post, and that most of the GM dealers around here suck. GM should really look into it, as it does/will really hurt their chances of selling another car to the same customers, kills loyalty.

Fortunately, or not, there are no Chevy dealers near me anymore. Both closed, and the one that I went to a few times sucked. I have a Jeep, and the local dealer sucks even worse, and my wife doesn't get it why I have to drive 35 miles to go to another Jeep dealer for an oil change or warranty (I'm not doing it myself on that car, it's a lease, and I don't have the time / inclination, but I can hit that dealer during my day at work).

I see your in CA as well - seems that we are in the toliet bowl of dealers - hell I had to go out of state to get a good deal on the car to start. None of the local dealers would even talk price, just bet around the bush. It seems they just don't care and just want that $$$ today and get out never come back. My Z06 was only been at one dealership and they changed people so many times I lost faith in all of them. Had the car dynoed at 3,000 miles and have not had an issue in 27,000 miles and the only warranty work was to replace the drivers door locking system / latch / Nav System - which is junk anyway and 3 TPS's. No issues on the MB E350.

larry arizona
10-01-12, 08:36 PM
hey airfoto, 5500# road tank? do u got some sandbags in the trunk and a couple fat chicks in the backseat? 4200# seems more accurate.

shchow
10-01-12, 09:02 PM
Being an auto enthusiast, my objective is to experience as many different cars as possible.
As such, the DRIVER adapts to the different cars because they all feel/handle differently.
If you want the cars to all feel/handle the same, why bother getting different cars?
You might as well buy the same car each and every time once you find something you like.
So I don't believe the OP is an enthusiast as he claims to be.
Given my personal experience with the V, and the body of evidence in the form of the multitude of reviews and comparisons, my assessment is that the OP has not a clue what he is talking about...

larry arizona
10-01-12, 09:21 PM
op is technically a troll. taking his shots on the way out. you should never go down flaming in an exit interview no matter how bad your job was. you never know when you will need or want to comeback......

Uebele
10-01-12, 09:34 PM
I appreciate the OP’s (not sure yet what OP stands for…) perspective. I am in the market for a 2013 and just about the pull the trigger. I look for advice like this to solidify my decision.

The CTS is on its last year of production, so I understand it will not have all the latest and greatest electronics. However the new CUE system almost reminds me of the ’84 corvettes digital dash, and that went over like a fart in church. I’m not an early adopter by nature, so I’m fine with the older generation electronics. Give me a gauge please!

The largest concern I have is the dealer network. GM really needs to slap these guys around. Someone should force these jokers to visit a Lexus dealer in order to get some sales training! (I do not own Lexus, just used as an example. Any other high end brand would do.) I’ve given up on the local dealer, and now dealing with the Costco dealer rep across town who seems pretty legit so far.

I understand the draw of the TL, as it is a nice car. It is just too different to try and compare the attributes. Thanks for the post and your perspective.

larry arizona
10-01-12, 09:44 PM
original poster. toyota dealers are some of the worst in customer service. dealers are not out to kiss everyones ass ,they are in the business of making money and will do so by scamming as much as possible. they are all corrupt independent of oem. dealers are really out of the oems control. ever met a dealership owner? filthy rich and corrupt

luderchris
10-02-12, 08:40 AM
I appreciate the OP’s (not sure yet what OP stands for…)

OP = Original Poster in the thread

buddyg
10-02-12, 11:16 AM
Well you are definitely not a performance enthusiast if you don't love the V for what it is. The fastest four door production car and a price that is massively less than the competition. A suspension so good Ferrari licenses it from Cadillac. You definitely need to stick to Acura's and the like. You are probably in the 3% of people who don't love this car.

Have a nice life!

buddyg
10-02-12, 11:17 AM
duplicate post

extrabolts
10-02-12, 02:07 PM
I basically agree with all of the cons in the original post (except the tire cost thing) and think they can all be improved on for the next generation, but I still love my car. I test drove pretty much everything on the market and there were compromises with everything. One thing that remains though, I'm not willing to compromise in the engine, and this is pretty much it for a new car that can make over 700 crank hp for under 5k in mods.

Mike02z
10-02-12, 04:47 PM
I love the reference to gas mileage. Anyone thinking a 561 HP car is going to be economical needs to stay off the meds. If my V got 4 miles per gallon I would still own one. Same goes for the tires. I know people that are getting 22k out of their PS2's. I'll get about 10k due to my driving style and that's perfectly OK with me.

Most of my life I have bought American cars. About 7 years ago I decided to try a luxury foreign brand. It was a 2005 Volvo S60R. Said to be one of the most well designed, comfortable, sporty cars around at the time. What a POS. Was in the shop more than on the road. There were all sorts of issues with the 4C, seats, transmission, AWD unit, you name it, it broke. Left me stranded twice.

The only thing I liked about the Volvo was the dealer. They came and picked up my car, left me a loaner and dropped my car off when done. They never gave me any hassle and just fixed everything I needed fixed. It was not the dealers fault the car was a POS. Nothing they ever fixed broke twice but a hell of a lot of one off's broke during the 3 hellish years I owned it.

I agree there are many GM dealers that are not very good. I'm lucky in that I have 2 dealers in my area who are outstanding. The one closest to me has gone out of their way to take care of me. The other dealer is where I bought my V and they bent over backwards to make me happy after the sale. 4 days after picking my car up a buddy noticed my wheels were curbed. Since I NEVER parallel park I called the dealer. Most dealers would have probably told me to go pound sand. This dealer said "No problem, we will order you 2 new wheels and call you when they arrive" 3 days later they replaced my wheels with no questions asked. My Ultra view roof appeared to be sticking up in one spot again, the dealer took care of it, gave me a loaner and it was fixed perfectly.

The other thing about dealer service I'd like to mention is how many times do forum users start a new post/thread saying how great their dealer is? It's just human nature to be quick to complain but slow to give praise. While I know there are a lot of unethical dealers out there, I don't think it's the majority but that's just my opinion.

I wish the OP well and hope he finds the perfect car for him. For me, the V is my perfect car and I want to be buried in it! If I keep driving it like I stole it, I may get my wish sooner rather than later :D

JFJr
10-02-12, 06:08 PM
Good point, Mike. My dealer, Claude Nolan, in Jacksonville is excellent. I've had 2 very, very minor parking lot dings by others, and you can't tell the body shop has worked on the car. I get a lot of near misses on the highway by people that have never seen a "V." Rarity has its risks. The longer I own the car, the more I like it. This is one of those cars that infrequently comes along and is better than the sum of its parts. Car guys understand; those trying to impress their friends don't.

Jud

xlr_x
10-02-12, 08:57 PM
thanks Jud your words makes me really proud of my V
Car guys understand those trying to impress their friends don't .

Lenvo65
10-02-12, 09:20 PM

Acura-ah that explains it. I had an Acura TL-S for about 18 months and 20k miles, nice prettied up Honda with NO personality at all. One track day with it and I had to drop it like a rock, replacing it with an Audi S8, followed 5 years later by a Volvo V70R, and now that the US had a proper sedan with real personality on to the CTS-V. Anyone happy with any Acura will not "get " the V and vice-versa.

CTSV2
10-03-12, 03:46 AM
Sounds like you just didnt do your research on the car before buying it. Best of luck to you on your next pick though :)

neuronbob
10-03-12, 06:17 AM
Agree that dealers can be hit or miss. Luckily, I have a great servicing dealer. I can recommend Central Cadillac in downtown Cleveland.

Jinx
10-03-12, 12:10 PM
Man, this is a tough room. All the "fine, gtfo" comments probably do more to dissuade a potential owner than the OP.

This is not a car you want to be owning if you budgeted 1000 miles a month and find yourself doing 2000 miles a month. Fuel and tire costs that aren't cheap to begin with suddenly double? That'll make anyone take another hard look at what they're sacrificing for the sake of Cadillac swagger.

As for the existence of lots of low-miles cars... one-year-old 15Kmi cars suggests owner regret, but older cars with 15Kmi just means they're not heavy daily drivers -- pretty common with sports cars, no?

larry arizona
10-03-12, 12:23 PM
Always a tough room when someone comes on this forum talking out their arse. The OP just took the classless way of exiting a passionate forum of educated performance enthusists. If potential V owners are scared away by this forum so be it. You also have a choice to buy a V and not participate in a forum.

I do agree that there are MANY V owners that get a case of buyers remorse. They were not educated or honest with their choice of vehicles. There are no secrets with the V. If you spend 15 minutes on this forum you will see all its flaws and all its gems and should be able to make an educated purchase decision. My V is a toy, Those who choose it as a DD should do so because they can afford it, some buy for the mod/race factor etc etc. The point is buy a V for the right reasons. Don't buy it for the wrong reason and then blame the car for a poor choice. Its hard for people to accept and own mistakes.

Jinx
10-03-12, 01:11 PM
Classless? I don't see it. I see a straightforward list of pros and cons and an honest reevaluation of personal priorities. And several defensive responses. And several responses that read way too much into the OP. The car wasn't for him -- that's not failing to accept and own mistakes, jeez.

And no, 15 minutes on this forum won't tell you everything you need to know to make an informed decision, especially when it comes to qualitative things like the infotainment experience. Not even for Evelyn Wood.

A little constructive criticism: this place seems insular and quick to turn on those who don't seem faithful to the cause, moreso than on other forums. Consider just a smidge more benefit of the doubt.

.Jinx

McGuffy
10-03-12, 02:05 PM
Jinx, this is a board populated by people passionate about their V's - passionate enough to not just own one, but to spend time socializing based solely on this one shared trait. I don't begrudge the OP for his opinions, but to think those opinions would be met with acceptance and understanding is kinda silly. Better if he just left quietly. I mean, I wouldn't leave a concert talking about how bad the band sucks...

Jinx
10-03-12, 02:55 PM
I appreciate that he didn't just leave quietly, and that he wasn't snippy on his way out. It's a concise perspective on what a CTS-V buyer is getting into. Yeah, maybe he bought the wrong car even before a commute change entered the picture, but the car's styling and power are wicked-seductive, aren't they? More positive and sober assessments of CTS-V's greatness and limitations serves everyone.

Overall, though, most folks here seem passionate and practical, and that's a good thing.

larry arizona
10-03-12, 04:18 PM
Jinx,

Go re-read the OP's negatives again and please explain to me how this is going to help a prospective V buyer? Its clearly bashing on his way out the door.

Gas Guzzler (read the window sticker DUH and get a clue what 556/551 costs)

19 inch tires (perfect size for this car, and plenty of options other than PS2's, 20's are a significant weight penalty)

Infotainment awful? (does everything most would ask it to do)

Bose mediocre? (one of the best stock systems most have heard unless you are a serious audiophile)

Too heavy? (compared to what?? Lighter than the competition)

Slow shifting Auto? (one of the fastest and BEST auto trannys on the planet, his lack of understanding how to use it is his fault, Isn't the auto tranny that until this year was the fastest production sedan on the planet)

I am perfectly fine with an honest and educated V critique, but this is clearly TROLL material and someone who made a mistake and is projecting less that accurate opinionated drivel to justify his poor decision and circumstance and I am calling a spade a spade.

He is not the first and won't be the last on this forum. Trolls will always be an issue and will be treated with the same respect they give the forum members.

thebigjimsho
10-03-12, 05:13 PM
I don't understand the point of the OP's post. It's clear that he made a mistake buying a V...but he make it sound like it's somehow the car's fault. Nothing more than an inexperienced buyer with more money than brains (not meant as an insult, just as an expression), learning the hard way.

Whatever. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I think all would agree that an acura or similar sounds like a better match in this case.

Agreed, none of the cons were things that are a surprise to someone with research or a test drive...

jokerface
10-03-12, 05:58 PM
The V is NOT A DAILY DRIVER. I have a ALL WHEEL DRIVE Infiniti sedan ( every day car ) then theirs the V ( my head turning baby that I will do anything for no matter how much $ ) end of story.

Mike02z
10-03-12, 06:00 PM
My V is a daily driver but I work from home :D

Stillborn
10-03-12, 06:32 PM
2:45 says it all. and this guy is a true pilot. the defense rests.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFRXGZuiZgo

Simply put, the Cadillac is the complete package: a supersonic sedan that is liveable, commodious, rewarding, and, despite its second-best-in-test 556 horsepower, accessible for those with less-than-pro racer skills. You don't have to be a Randy Pobst to get a lot out of the car and for the car to get a lot out of you. Whereas the ZR1 can leave you spooked and soiled when searching 10/10ths, the CTS-V will leave you tested but satisfied, thrilled but humbled. More important, it'll leave you high and dry, but not in the traditional sense of the term

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/112_0910_2009_best_drivers_car/viewall.html#ixzz28HKTsVr4

Xaqtly
10-03-12, 07:53 PM
The V is NOT A DAILY DRIVER.

Speak for yourself, lol. I daily drive mine, it had 8k miles on it when I bought it in Feb, it has 22,000 miles on it now. But I understood when I bought it that it doesn't get good MPG so I don't complain about that. :thumbsup:

JimmyH
10-03-12, 08:07 PM
op is technically a troll. taking his shots on the way out. you should never go down flaming in an exit interview no matter how bad your job was. you never know when you will need or want to comeback......

http://pinchofgrace.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/hitting-nail-on-the-head.jpg?w=550

shchow
10-03-12, 08:34 PM
Acura??
This is the first time I have ever heard of an Acura being mentioned in the same conversation as the V.
Even on the M and AMG forums you don't really hear too much bravado when the talk turns to the V because of the sheer performance stats of the V.

brent38
10-03-12, 08:54 PM
My V is a daily driver but I work from home :D

Now that is Funny!

Jinx
10-03-12, 11:04 PM
Larry: there is no convincing you. Understand you've also failed to convince me. I found his post useful, yours not. Cheers, mate.

Prof
10-03-12, 11:24 PM
It's been awhile...so...

Have I told anyone lately that I love my CTS V...Lingenfelter has just added to the thrill...and I have owned most of the traditional luxury sports vehicles...

hulksdaddy
10-03-12, 11:31 PM
My V cons:

1. Horrible dump truck

2. Can't get a plow hook-up on it.

3. Worst bar of soap I've ever owned

4. Can't make beer brats with it

5. Ain't worth a chit as a gap wedge

Headin' to the Acura dealer.....

Karch
10-03-12, 11:35 PM
My V cons:

5. Ain't worth a chit as a gap wedge

Headin' to the Acura dealer.....

Can barely fit a golf bag in there. I actually dragged my clubs from my car to the V when I test drove. Told the dealer, if it don't fit, I don't need to drive.
It fit diagonally.

larry arizona
10-04-12, 07:18 AM
all good jinx.

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-04-12, 02:16 PM
It's been very interesting reading everyone's passionate responses to the OP. This thread has been documented, and your respectful arguments are much appreciated!

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

TheDarkKnight
10-04-12, 03:22 PM
Is Katie a fem-bot or a foreigner who has a new grasp on the English language? I've never read postings that are so vanilla or unbiased. It's like she is a computer.
Sorry Katie. I appreciate you and your efforts, I just want some emotion girl! Post up a picture for us! Let us all know you are a real person!

I say this all respectfully, so anyone that wants to try and read into this post for more than what it is, cut me a break

shchow
10-04-12, 07:11 PM
I've wondering the same thing.
Sometimes I think it's really Bubba behind the keys pretending to be a girl...

Jinx
10-04-12, 09:34 PM
Katie, it's fantastic that you're here, and find no fault with your communication skills or your professionalism. It can't be an easy job being an official company representative when the rest of us get to stand around in flip-flops drinking beer and saying whatever comes out with the suds; your continued active engagement is impressive and appreciated. It definitely makes me more inclined to buy a Cadillac. (Just not sure which one....)

And please do post up a picture... of your favorite old Cadillac, at least. The corporate overlords should at least let you share that much :)

neuronbob
10-04-12, 10:42 PM
The V is NOT A DAILY DRIVER. I have a ALL WHEEL DRIVE Infiniti sedan ( every day car ) then theirs the V ( my head turning baby that I will do anything for no matter how much $ ) end of story.

To you. I daily drive mine and then find excuses to drive it even when I'm off work. I own mine free and clear so the only monthly expenses for the car are gas and insurance.

Glad I can afford the gas. Will probably daily drive it for another year before I get a more fuel efficient daily. Of course, I said this a year ago too....and kept driving the V.

M5eater
10-04-12, 10:47 PM
Is Katie a fem-bot or a foreigner who has a new grasp on the English language? I've never read postings that are so vanilla or unbiased. It's like she is a computer.
Sorry Katie. I appreciate you and your efforts, I just want some emotion girl! Post up a picture for us! Let us all know you are a real person!

I say this all respectfully, so anyone that wants to try and read into this post for more than what it is, cut me a break

Her posts probably have to be reviewed and approved.

She's representing a multi-billion dollar organization on the largest site for the brand on the internet. Letting it get wild around here would be fun once in a while, but constrained professionalism is safe, and attractive to everyone.

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-05-12, 09:17 AM
Is Katie a fem-bot or a foreigner who has a new grasp on the English language? ...
Post up a picture for us! Let us all know you are a real person!

...Sometimes I think it's really Bubba behind the keys pretending to be a girl...

Katie, it's fantastic that you're here...
And please do post up a picture... of your favorite old Cadillac, at least. The corporate overlords should at least let you share that much :)

Her posts probably have to be reviewed and approved....She's representing a multi-billion dollar organization on the largest site for the brand on the internet. Letting it get wild around here would be fun once in a while, but constrained professionalism is safe, and attractive to everyone.

Ha! Thanks, you all. In posts like this, I really try to step back so I don't engage in any kind of argument or heated debate, but I totally understand what you're saying! No Bubba or fem-bot here. (And I'll see what I can do about pic posts, but I unfortunately can't guarantee anything!)

Have a great weekend! :cheers:

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

McGuffy
10-05-12, 09:21 AM
I think it speaks volumes about the brand that Cadillac has customer service people that not only monitor, but participate in online boards and social media. There was a Facebook post where some guy was crying foul because his dealer wouldn't repair (under warranty) the spots where his gym bag ripped the trim on his SRX. I could never maintain my composure in dealing with that type of person.

larry arizona
10-05-12, 09:23 AM
Katie, Do you actually sit at GM Warren? I am down to the VEC all the time. Would be nice to say hi next time I am waiting in the VEC lobby.

hulksdaddy
10-05-12, 11:57 AM
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r64/mjmorgan12548/stalking_flattery.gif

larry arizona
10-05-12, 02:04 PM
:halo:

hulksdaddy
10-05-12, 04:47 PM
...;)

AlbertoC
10-06-12, 01:40 PM
My opinion of the OP's post is this. Although he might have done all of his research and considers himself a true car enthusiast, it seems to me that he might have pushed or forced himself to buy the car. It would have been really hard to ignore or be blind to the characteristics or features of the car that he found negative. Then once he experienced the car for a period of time, he was remorseful of his decision and blamed it on the car. When I was shopping for a new coupe, I went to the experts and watched all of the video and read all of the reviews. Then I went and test drove the car and confirmed many of the experts' views and opinions.

Whether you drive 5 miles or 100 miles a day, or use it as a DD or on weekends, it is impossible to ignore that a performance car like the V is not going to cost more on tires, brakes, maintenance, upkeep, and gas. You know that once you get to the point of needing tires or brakes, whether it is now or in 2 yrs, based on the mileage you drive every day, you better be prepared to fork out more money...it is a performance car after all. If that hurst your wallet or brings you a lot of agony, then move to an Acura my friend. It is completely acceptable, but you have to be true to yourself.

Years ago I went from owning a Pontiac Grand Prix to an Audi S4. I knew that my total yearly auto costs were gonna go up...no matter how many miles or how I drove the car. It is like buying a bigger condo or a bigger house and not expect that your utilities bills or insurance bill are going to change. It would be living in denial. He is gonna fine this same dilemma with every other performance car out there. This is why he chose the Acura. Nothing wrong there, but it is just a totally different animal.

Lastly, every car in the market is going to have its quirks. The question is whether you are willing to live or compromise with those issues. If yes, then you enjoy the car and come to terms with those annoying issues and live with it. I love my V Coupe. It puts a freaking smile to my face every time I see or drive it. Do I think it is heavier than other cars that I have had...yes. Do I think it costs more to maintain...yes. But I continue to love and enjoy it.