: location of starter

blalockchiro
09-30-12, 01:43 PM
i hope i am in the correct area, and i may need a moderator to move it to correct place...starter went out on the 97 deville basic northstar,....i need to know the location, possible difficulty an maybe a diagram if someone can send me and advise,....i could not find any thing in archives, or at least it told me nothing on search....thanks guys....

ternstes
09-30-12, 02:55 PM
Starter is in the valley under the intake manifold. Be careful with the fuel rail, you can either pop the rail and injectors out of the manifold and tie it up out of the way or disconnect the fuel lines and remove the manifold with the rail in place. Getting to the starter is not too difficult, but there should be a writeup in the tech tips sub section.

vincentm
09-30-12, 03:13 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/1ekwlt.gif

Removal:

Negative battery cable at battery
Positive battery cable at battery
Intake manifold.
Solenoid "S" terminal nut and battery cable nut.
Starter motor mounting bolts.
Starter motor.
Solenoid "S" terminal nut.

blalockchiro
09-30-12, 04:53 PM
ok we think it is a bad cabke or ground, we jumped it and cranked...i have up on ramps...basscatt suggested neutral safety switch, but then said not it b/c we jumped it....siggested bad wire, battery or ground,,,battery is only 6 months old, all lights on dash are strong...no clicking when trying to start..any other suggesstion b4 i start looking

blalockchiro
09-30-12, 04:55 PM
odd question...i have took off the engine cover this week...that would not have anything yo do with it????

maeng9981
09-30-12, 05:00 PM
If the wires or ground were bad, then jumping it wouldn't really help, would it?

I would load test the battery. Northstar starters are quite reliable.

blalockchiro
09-30-12, 05:15 PM
ok will do

maeng9981
10-01-12, 03:29 AM
Also removing the engine beauty cover won't affect anything, unless it's a 93-94 engine.

blalockchiro
10-08-12, 01:33 PM
ok question.....i took this section from a person that did a starter change out....Now you should be able to lift the intake manifold up a little. Look at the fuel delivery lines to the fuel injectors next to the Power Steering pump (Left Side) you will see a thin wire attached to a steel tube (part of the fuel lines) this is a ground you will need to remove the bolt that is holding it. The wire that attaches to the steel tube (part of fuel lines) on mine was not connected anywhere. i was going to put an adapter on it and ground it somewhere, but the ground is already to the block, so where do i attach the other end?????

Submariner409
10-08-12, 02:16 PM
IF the fuel rail was intended to be grounded, then one of the mounting tangs and a proper wire/connector would do the job to any handy engine block bolt.

The 1997 has a 4-coil pack and ICM - and that ICM is supposed to have a ground cable from one of the mounting bolts to the block................

Ranger
10-08-12, 09:20 PM
That ground wire is a remnant from the nylon fuel rail. It was cut and left in place when the stainless steel fuel rail was installed. It's now obsolete.

blalockchiro
10-09-12, 07:31 AM
thanks guys, it was not the starter, will put a new battery in it today, just wierd the battery is only a year old, i went ahead and cleaned the cables at the starter and put everything back together, but i broke the plastic piece that is on the throttle cable to make the car go, will heavily tape down or can i buy a replacement peice???,,,,cross your fingers, i need this car up and running....thanks

Submariner409
10-09-12, 08:31 AM
Junkyard or talk to Chris in Parts at at Rippy Cadillac over there >>>>

MAYBE in www.gmpartsgiant.com

vincentm
10-09-12, 07:25 PM
Yea junkyard, mine broke off too

blalockchiro
10-10-12, 09:48 AM
yep they have one...will get today, but can anyone tell me how to replace or a diagram, i need to know how to disconnect at the cruise control servo????