: Finally stepping up

PNBLWZD
09-30-12, 01:56 AM
First post in this forum, but I've been in the STS-V forum for a couple years. Finally sold my STS-V this weekend, and am now in the market for a 2009+ CTS-V. I've been looking for quite a while, and have a couple candidates to go look at, but am wondering what differences there are between an 09-10 vs an 11-12. From what I've seen nav was an option in 09, but most cars came with them? Also when did the backup camera show up, 2012?

Tomorrow I'm going to see an '09 sedan with 26k miles, orig owner private party seller, stock other than smoked tails and tint, no suede or Recaros which is fine w me, chrome wheels/sunroof/nav. Has a GMPP warrantee for 7/70, new tires IIRC, and I have them down to $41k so far. Thoughts?

A couple months ago I went to see another 09 with similar miles and options as above, also orig owner who sent it to Lingenfelter for the 600 or 650 package (not sure) plus AR headers, lowering springs and new tires for $43k. This one is going out of warrantee in 6 months though.

There is also a 2011 sedan listed near me with 14k miles stock and all options for $45k, which seems like a great deal but the seller is not responding to my calls. Probably either already sold or a scam.

Yet another options is getting a new one, and I'm eligable for GM employee discount, but not sure I'm ready for that. I've read the threads of post the price you paid and great deals etc, which was very helpful, and thought I would share these cars that I'm considering with the group. Thanks for any input!

neuronbob
09-30-12, 09:27 AM
Welcome to the CTS-V side of the forum.

It sounds like the Recaros are not a deal breaker for you, so that greatly expands your options.

Of the three, I'd go with the 26k mile one with GMPP. $41k for that car, stock, AND a warranty, is the best deal of the one you mention.

The second 2009 is not as good a deal given that not only will you pay more (if you don't argue it down further), you will have to shell out for GMPP, which at that mileage is around $1500-$2000 for a mileage of 24-36k from the online resellers. The advantage to that one is that if you are planning mods, the Lingenfelter setup is awesome and reliable. I have run a similar setup to Lingenfelter's in my car for just over 30,000 miles with no problems at all. If you are at all considering modding further, the Lingenfelter upper pulley and CAI are a good base to start with.

Ordinarily, I would say to go with the newest one you can afford, but of the three the newest one seems not to be an option.

Of course, there are other deals out there if you look farther afield.

Have fun!

PNBLWZD
09-30-12, 10:32 AM
Thank you for the welcome and input. Since the elusive car #3 seems to be avoiding me, car #1 is what I'm leaning towards as well. I can order the kit from Lingenfelter, install it myself, and then take it to my tuner locally for probably less cost than a GMPP will cost to add to car #2.

M5eater
09-30-12, 11:37 AM
and have a couple candidates to go look at, but am wondering what differences there are between an 09-10 vs an 11-12
the only differences that you'll care about are;
11+'s have a rear view back-up camera and added Satin graphite & yellow caliper options. 09 and 2010's have a backup sensor and a 3 LED light bar in the rear above the passenger seats instead.
12+'s have rainsense wipers.
There are very, very minor parts changes (the lid cover for example) and some color additions/ deletions, but otherwise the V has remained unchanged for the past 5 model years.

13's get 2 piece rotors as standard, and you'll have the option of red calipers when purchasing.

CTS-V purchasing is pretty easy as you would imagine. Find the newest, lowest mileage example with the stuff you want within your budget and whip out the checkbook.

neuronbob
09-30-12, 11:42 AM
You can also run 10s and up from your iPhone/iPad. That functionality does not exist in the 09s because of a change in OnStar hardware between years. 09s have Rainsense wipers; this was deleted in the 10s for reasons poorly known to us.

PNBLWZD
09-30-12, 01:33 PM
Couple other questions; what year was bluetooth available, and what does a 2010 and up let you do with the iphone/ipad?

ClarkkentCTSV
09-30-12, 01:58 PM
the only differences that you'll care about are;
11+'s have a rear view back-up camera and added Satin graphite & yellow caliper options. 09 and 2010's have a backup sensor and a 3 LED light bar in the rear above the passenger seats instead.
12+'s have rainsense wipers.
There are very, very minor parts changes (the lid cover for example) and some color additions/ deletions, but otherwise the V has remained unchanged for the past 5 model years.

My 09' has the rainsense wipers. The 09' is a great V, I just wished it had the rear view camera and the
on star app. Both are not available in the 09'

PNBLWZD
09-30-12, 02:47 PM
What about handsfree/bluetooth? That's a feature I really liked on my STS-V, along with the heated steering wheel (which I know doesn't exist on the CTS-V but is a worthwhile trade lol).

Trapspeed
09-30-12, 11:23 PM
My '09 has Bluetooth.

PNBLWZD
10-01-12, 12:23 AM
Went to go see the 09 today, and it was not quite the cream puff I hoped for. Front bumper had fitment issue on the drivers side, rear bumper had been repainted poorly, and the paint along the drivers side edge of the hood had the clear starting to peel a tiny bit. On top of all that it was a smoker car that smelled like a hotel room, which my wife is hyper sensitive to, so I passed. Then finally got in touch with the seller of the 2011 for 45k, which sold. Lastly tried to contact the owner of the Lingenfelter 09 and have not heard back. So overall kinda bummed to be letting my other V go, and plans not working out as expected for a replacement...

Karch
10-01-12, 02:59 PM
Hmm, I was trying to help the one with the Lingenfelter get a smog, but he said he was going to sell it rather than deal with it.

He seemed like a nice guy. I thought of buying it myself, but I think it had a sunroof, which I don't want.

I come across a lot of them myself, anything in particular you are looking for? Seems we are both in L.A.

larry arizona
10-01-12, 03:52 PM
Patience grasshopper, Your V deal will find you in time. Took me 3+ months to find the PERFECT one and it was well worth the wait versus settling on whatever.

PNBLWZD
10-01-12, 06:32 PM
Karch: I helped the guy with the Lingenfleter car get it smogged so he could register it in CA. I was wondering at the time if he was selling it to avoid the headache to registering with the long tubes etc, and it seems as though I was correct. Spoke to him today and not intereted in selling it now. Oh well, no good deed goes unpunished lol. I am in LA, looking for a really nice low miles sedan, auto, sunroof, chrome wheels, standard seats are fine, suede or not doesn't matter. Color not too important, more concerend with mileage condition and price. Opunlent blue is really nice, but my Silverado SS is the same color damn near.

Larrry: Thanks for the sage advice. It's hard to pass on one that's average like yesterday, but I knew those issues would bother me. I'll keep looking, that's part of the fun. In the meantime I'll drive my truck.

larry arizona
10-01-12, 07:14 PM
I missed out on 3 STELLAR deals out of state before I found my perfect V. It all happened for a reason as it ended up being 1 mile from where I work stored inside with 3500 miles fully loaded (roof,recaros,6M blah blah blah), it was from Georgia and was shipped and stored in Michigan inside and never saw a michigan road until I bought it. Just had missed out on the same car (but auto and I wanted a 6M) with 4200 miles in GA and it saved me a 900 miles fly and drive (although that woulda been a awesome first road trip). Hang in their, your deal will find you.

Karch
10-02-12, 08:45 PM
Karch: I helped the guy with the Lingenfleter car get it smogged so he could register it in CA. I was wondering at the time if he was selling it to avoid the headache to registering with the long tubes etc, and it seems as though I was correct. Spoke to him today and not intereted in selling it now. Oh well, no good deed goes unpunished lol. I am in LA, looking for a really nice low miles sedan, auto, sunroof, chrome wheels, standard seats are fine, suede or not doesn't matter. Color not too important, more concerend with mileage condition and price. Opunlent blue is really nice, but my Silverado SS is the same color damn near.

Larrry: Thanks for the sage advice. It's hard to pass on one that's average like yesterday, but I knew those issues would bother me. I'll keep looking, that's part of the fun. In the meantime I'll drive my truck.

Just saw a Vagon pop up on CL. I know you said sedan. About that smog, can you PM me some details, as I am thinking of buying one out of state as well, and it has LT's. It would be greatly appreciated. I can get it with the stock exhaust, but if the labor is already done, why not?

maggioth
10-03-12, 06:37 AM
I have a 2009 Crystal Red Tintcoat with every option and only 1,100 miles on it. Ebony interior. Always in a climate controlled garage. Are you interested?

70Stage1
10-03-12, 08:45 AM
I have a 09 that is black on black that is flawless. It has every option on it and has 19k miles. If you have interest let me know, i am in North Carolina and the car has never been out of this state! Let me know!

Double e
10-03-12, 09:12 AM
70Stage,

Is it the Coupe or Sedan? I'm in 27604.

luderchris
10-03-12, 09:53 AM
70Stage,

No coupes in '09.

70Stage1
10-03-12, 05:22 PM
70Stage,

It's a sedan! A beautiful car! If any interest my number is 919.522.4260. It's also a 6 speed!!

PNBLWZD
10-03-12, 09:59 PM
I have a 2009 Crystal Red Tintcoat with every option and only 1,100 miles on it. Ebony interior. Always in a climate controlled garage. Are you interested?

Where are you located?

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-04-12, 05:10 PM
PNBLWZD,

We're excited to see you're on the hunt for a CTS-V; if you have any unanswered questions (it looks like the forum members have already been immensely helpful), feel free to send us a private message on the forum or an email to katie_lucille@gmexpert.com

Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

kehock
10-05-12, 09:33 AM
i was in your position earlier this year. had an 08 sts-v but wanted a cts-v. after searching for a 2010 or 2011 i finally opted for a new 12. the price difference was such that if you can get a good deal on a new one (in my case it was a gms price plus an additional $4500 in gm discounts) you will be sitting pretty come resale time -- you won't make money on the deal but you will enjoy one of highest resales visavis original price of any car in its class (assuming you've taken care of it). you're moving from one great car to another. at first you'll focus somewhat on the accessories in the sts-v that you've grown accustomed to but won't have in the cts-v. i can assure you that the power and the handling and eveything about the v2 will make it so you get over not having the sts-v very, very quickly. i still somewhat miss the hud, the automatic dimming of bright lights, the indicator that went off when you accidently left your driving lane and the considerable "elbow room" on the center console; but those are just fond memories. the v2 is an awesome car!!