: AC-Delco part vs Cadillac

Kealii
12-14-04, 08:56 PM
I took my Deville to a mechanic who says he will not warranty his work if he uses a AC-Delco fuel pump. He is insisting on using the pump from Cadillac which cost $420 while the AC-Delco 43-911 is $267. What is the difference in the two pumps. Is the mechanic full of #$%^$$!!

MARK GREK
12-14-04, 09:20 PM
Sounds to me like he's full of #$%^^. There is no Cadillac made fuel pump. Only A.C. Delco. Does'nt sound like he has much knowledge about parts.

Spyder
12-15-04, 01:56 AM
AC Delco is the brand that Caddy uses... ... ...full of sheeeeit, I would say...you should bring that up to the mechanic...

bsandnes
12-15-04, 02:00 AM
I would just go to another mechanic...if he knows that little about parts, how much can he know about installing them? ( :banghead: )

Katshot
12-15-04, 07:54 AM
There actually ARE some AC Delco parts that came on your car originally that can ONLY be bought through a dealer. AC Delco has some parts that are only sold to the OEM even though they DO offer "replacement" parts through distributors that are slightly different. That said, the fule pumps ARE NOT one of those parts as far as I know. The AC Delco aftermarket pump should be the same as the one from a dealer.

STS 310
12-15-04, 01:26 PM
That guy sounds suspect. Maybe another tech is in order.

Kealii
12-15-04, 05:02 PM
I decided to get a second opinion from an AC Delco approved shop. The AC Delco shop quoted the price for the AC Delco fuel pump part number 43-911 at $420. I told the shop that I recieved a price quote from an authorized AC Delco parts retailer of $259 and then asked him why he was marking the price up $160? He told me that the general public receives lesser quality AC Delco parts but he recieves the proffessional AC Delco parts. The funny thing is the part numbers are exactly the same. Do repair shops really get away with these lies? Well, after calling around I finally found a shop that would use the AC Delco fuel pump $259 and would charge me $119 labor. Thanks for the comments.

ellives
12-15-04, 09:08 PM
I decided to get a second opinion from an AC Delco approved shop. The AC Delco shop quoted the price for the AC Delco fuel pump part number 43-911 at $420. I told the shop that I recieved a price quote from an authorized AC Delco parts retailer of $259 and then asked him why he was marking the price up $160? He told me that the general public receives lesser quality AC Delco parts but he recieves the proffessional AC Delco parts. The funny thing is the part numbers are exactly the same. Do repair shops really get away with these lies? Well, after calling around I finally found a shop that would use the AC Delco fuel pump $259 and would charge me $119 labor. Thanks for the comments.

Now I've heard everything. "The general public receives lesser quality AC Delco parts?" And somehow miraculously HE can receive the "professional" quality version? Oh yeah! And I suppose he reminded you it's a good idea to change the "high speed chrome plated muffler bearing" too!

Ells

Spyder
12-15-04, 11:00 PM
don't forget the blinker fluid!!!