: help ! timing gear removal

appleroma
09-29-12, 07:40 PM
I am changing timing chain on my 05 Escalade. The balancer is off, engine cover is off . But don't know how to remove timing gear. Please help. I do help service manual and don't know where to buy the right puller.

jnrsesv
09-29-12, 10:11 PM
Did you try Auto Zone tool rental? I bet they have the puller that you need , pay a deposit and it gets credited when you return the tool.

6lbsofSound
09-29-12, 10:31 PM
Cam gear is held on by 3 bolts. For the crank gear some balancer pullers can remove them. If not lisle I believe makes one or you can rent it. Just watch out not to loose the woodruff key. Should be pretty easy to pull the gear.

wesyder
09-30-12, 12:42 PM
I am changing timing chain on my 05 Escalade. The balancer is off, engine cover is off . But don't know how to remove timing gear. Please help. I do help service manual and don't know where to buy the right puller.

Yeah your gonna need a puller thats kinda thin to get behind the gear where you grab it at

appleroma
09-30-12, 03:34 PM
hi guys thanks for the help. Finally I pulled it off ;). I borrowed a heavy duty puller from my friend and used stainless steel clamp to tightly hold the three arms to built a posi-lock puller. It works great~~

appleroma
09-30-12, 05:13 PM
Here is the picture with old timing gear on crankshaft.

appleroma
09-30-12, 05:27 PM
Here is the puller I used.

jnrsesv
09-30-12, 05:35 PM
Out of curiousty:

1) How many miles are on your Escalade

2) How did you know that the work needed to be done

Thank you

appleroma
10-01-12, 01:01 PM
I just got it with >140,000 miles. The water pump leaks, belt cracked... so I want to change belt, and go ahead to change water pump, and then step by step I want to change more...

Out of curiousty:

1) How many miles are on your Escalade

2) How did you know that the work needed to be done

Thank you

appleroma
10-01-12, 01:03 PM
The new timing set is on. What tools should I just to push the timing bear all the way back?

wesyder
10-01-12, 01:22 PM
The new timing set is on. What tools should I just to push the timing bear all the way back?

I had low oil pressure that caused a rattle on cold start and an occasional oil light at idle, when i took it apart i found a bad o-ring on the oil pump pickup but since i was that far in i changed the oil pump timing set and associated gaskets and o-rings. I have over 200k. I had a seal driver i used to tap the timing gear back into place