: Sound from the past .............

Submariner409
09-29-12, 10:34 AM
Just finished rebuilding an AM radio out of a 1951 Oldsmobile. Works just fine - here's an original GM Delco 6AV6 tube, from the radio, that tests better than design specs. Time marches on.

........... and the sound system guys think finding new parts is difficult...................

This particular tube is a re-branded piece made in 1949 by RCA in Illinois. Other suppliers were Sylvania, GE, and Amperex.

Johnxlrv
09-29-12, 11:04 AM
Memories of being sent to the longs drug stores with a bag of tubes to test on their machine. You must be better than me...spent some time on a 53 Buick radio...tubes were fine, but I never got power (hot to the radio). At least that car is now somebody else's problem!

Though you got to post pics of the Oldsmobile!

brandondeleo
09-29-12, 12:58 PM
I have a set of tubes. Russian, Yugoslavian, American, Japanese... I love vintage audio.

Submariner409
09-29-12, 02:28 PM
Tubes, I got - this is about 1/10 of what's in the garage alone.............

The bags of New Old Stock AMPEREX Bugle Boy 12AX7A's (out of production in 1970) are vintage '68 and originally sold for 65 each. I scored them at a medical equipment manufacturer blowout sale for 50 each. They sell for $70 apiece in the audiophile market today. :sneaky: I sell them online in matched quads (4 tubes for preamp gain stages) for $300 + shipping.

CadillacLuke24
09-29-12, 03:03 PM
:thumbsup: I want to be like this when I get older. Still monkeying around with my favorite hobbies!