: installing CC tomorrow; remove SC upper lid?

M5eater
09-28-12, 09:35 PM
The RX is supposed to come in tomorrow (the JLT will have to wait until Monday)

I'm a bit curious about how much has accumulated after 6,600 miles, so I'm thinking I might take off the TB and possibly the upper SC lid?

my question is though, I know that the inner I/C is under this, metered air is sucked past the cooler and into the blower screws, but being that this is the upper portion of the S/C, how much oil is really going to be accumulating up there?

Do you think it would be worth to take a look @ and maybe wipe down for giggles? Do I need to remove the strut tower brace? It looks very straight forward, and I have the 44/89"lb tightening torque and sequence. I figured it would be a 30min job if I wanted to do it.

thanks!

Dr. Design
09-28-12, 10:43 PM
Depends on your motor. We have seen some that are dripping in oil and have seen others that are bone dry. Just depends.

Wouldn't hurt to take a look at it. A clean motor is a mean motor....

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

The RX is supposed to come in tomorrow (the JLT will have to wait until Monday)

I'm a bit curious about how much has accumulated after 6,600 miles, so I'm thinking I might take off the TB and possibly the upper SC lid?

my question is though, I know that the inner I/C is under this, metered air is sucked past the cooler and into the blower screws, but being that this is the upper portion of the S/C, how much oil is really going to be accumulating up there?

Do you think it would be worth to take a look @ and maybe wipe down for giggles? Do I need to remove the strut tower brace? It looks very straight forward, and I have the 44/89"lb tightening torque and sequence. I figured it would be a 30min job if I wanted to do it.

thanks!

larry arizona
09-28-12, 10:43 PM
the ic brick gets dirty pretty quick. mine wasnt bad after 4000 miles. but when i put the cam in over the winter i will clean the brick. only pita is getting the ic brick gasket to fit after its removed. it grows when removed. i put it in the freezer to shrink it. next time i will get a new one to install. under $20.

M5eater
09-29-12, 10:15 AM
the ic brick gets dirty pretty quick. mine wasnt bad after 4000 miles. but when i put the cam in over the winter i will clean the brick. only pita is getting the ic brick gasket to fit after its removed. it grows when removed. i put it in the freezer to shrink it. next time i will get a new one to install. under $20.

I won't mess with it this weekend then. Maybe I'll order the gaskets and do it sometime later. I have lots to do , ATS's to drive, grill's that need re-dipping :D

Depends on your motor. We have seen some that are dripping in oil and have seen others that are bone dry. Just depends.

Wouldn't hurt to take a look at it. A clean motor is a mean motor....
thanks!

flyingv
09-29-12, 11:17 AM
You don't need a new gasket. Just put it in the freezer for a couple hours and it pops right in.

M5eater
09-29-12, 11:56 AM
You don't need a new gasket. Just put it in the freezer for a couple hours and it pops right in.
HMM

If the plasti-dip doesn't get out of control today maybe I'll give it a try.

Do I need to take the strut tower brace off?

larry arizona
09-29-12, 02:13 PM
well I froze the IC gasket in the freezer (wife loved that idea) for 4 hours and it still didnt go back in that easy. Yes you need to take off strut brace.