: dog bones life span

eldoedwardo
09-28-12, 12:11 PM
Hello everyone, My question is, when do the dog bones lose their effectiveness. I was doing a visual check under the hood of my '99 eldo and noticed the tolerance in both tourque arms. Both (l&r)and front &rear of each have about.045-.050 movement, method being raising them up from a resting position(gravity) Is that tolerance number acceptable or should I order new bushings? If I need new ones ,does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations...Thank you everyone...Ed

Submariner409
09-28-12, 12:21 PM
Once the rubber starts to go, it's time for new dog bones. Either talk to Chris in parts at Rippy Cadillac over there >>> or go through www.gmparts (http://www.gmparts) giant.com. You get to your car, year, model, component for a text page of parts. Click the INFO tab up top to get to the parts diagram picture with cross reference numbers to the text/availability/price.

Maybe try www.rockauto.com (http://www.rockauto.com) also............... Engine, category, "torque strut mount".

Dog bones aren't expensive.

Ranger
09-28-12, 01:37 PM
My '97 had a little play in them, but the rubber seemed good. I think some play is normal. Sold it at 107K with the original torque struts.

eldoedwardo
09-28-12, 01:55 PM
Thanks Submariner409,
Wow what a differance:GM=$86 Partsgiant=$58 Rockauto=less than $8 for anchor brand,DEA brand=$ 1 differance, and of course S&H...Has anyone used Rock before ? Is their payment system secure? Older age has finally allowed my BA to have a decent balance(no bragging only happiness). I would not want someone else to empty it. they said something about FedEX can sent payment. Any suggestions? SIGNED, not paranoid,just careful Ed, HA!
More info? send it my way!please

eldoedwardo
09-28-12, 03:38 PM
Thanks Ranger, I took one off and a small side part of the rubber crumbled.I believe these are shot. Both from rock with shipping is cheaper than one from local parts houses . I snugged them up alittle but I know that is very temporary. thanks Ed

Submariner409
09-28-12, 05:13 PM
I shudder to think how much money myself and Charlie The Transmission Man (200 yards up the road) have pumped through RockAuto, both PayPal and telephone credit card without a hitch.

Ranger
09-28-12, 05:25 PM
Yeah, crumbling rubber is a sure sign that they are shot.

I have use Rockauto as well and have never had a problem, AND they ship VERY fast to boot.

vincentm
09-28-12, 08:24 PM
Yea Rockauto is great, they dont BS and get your stuff straight to you in decent time.